Vertical Goodness and Other Batshit Craziness

m4s73r

The Laziest
Post it I think they have a section for that here somewhere
I'll do that.

So for my previous calamitous outdoor rdwc build I was planing on using 48 quart coolers for each individual plants site burred to a couple of inches below the bottom of the cooler lid(fed/drain by 2" pvc also burried) but when I punched a hole with a drill in the thick plastic lid top and went at it with a saws all it was a shit show.
View attachment 104117+View attachment 104118
Question:What would you say the best way to cut a nice clean hole into a cooler lid to place a 5 gal bucket dwc collar on to it would be?

Cheers, Z.
You can get on of these and cut your holes. Ive used them to cut holes for subwoofer speakers in particle board. the guy over at PAHydroponics uses these to make his RDWC system. When the insulation falls out the lid just use spray in foam to refill it. Spray it in and drop your bucket in.

I was going to set up RDWC with waterfalls and shit just like Ttystikk's setup. I got all crazy with designing it. As I was doing the reading I came across a guy that lost an entire crop when he had a pump go out in the last bucket of the system. 55 days bloom. Woke up one day and everything was dead. I went to organic soil LOL.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It ain't like that, growther- I just love the Police! Any excuse for Stewart Copeland is a good one!

And I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and advice on growing. There's always more to learn and it seems like everyone has something cool they do.
I don't jump in other people's threads and regurgitate advice unless they ask a question I know the answer to. I am learning stuff all the time and I post it in my own thread. You can go back years and there's some stupid shit back there. It's a continuous process.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I have a high tunnel and a small half in the ground greenhouse but besides heating we only get 8 hrs of daylight this time of year so lights are also needed with the current value of product it just doesn't pencil out for me these days our winters are just to harsh this week it's been below zero with -20 wind chill but oh man I still want to be growing I did use a huge pile of lawn clippings and leaves one year with a rolls of black Polly pipe in middle pump water thru it loop the poly pipe throughout your beds holy Hanna I could roast a pig in the center of the pile with some tweaking it would work but I got all busted up and that was that lol read up on heating with compost it could work for you bro
I REALLY want to hear more about your in ground greenhouse! Look up the term "walipini"; I think it was a native American name for a similar idea of digging a hole, throwing the dirt on the north side and growing crops in that protected space. Modern iterations are basically Earth sheltered greenhouses. I live in the city so it's not really an option for me here but if I get lucky enough to buy a place out of town, this is something I really want to do.

And if you're willing to share your experience with getting "busted up" I'm all ears. Been there...

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I'll do that.

You can get on of these and cut your holes. Ive used them to cut holes for subwoofer speakers in particle board. the guy over at PAHydroponics uses these to make his RDWC system. When the insulation falls out the lid just use spray in foam to refill it. Spray it in and drop your bucket in.

I was going to set up RDWC with waterfalls and shit just like Ttystikk's setup. I got all crazy with designing it. As I was doing the reading I came across a guy that lost an entire crop when he had a pump go out in the last bucket of the system. 55 days bloom. Woke up one day and everything was dead. I went to organic soil LOL.
The bad news is it's one pump. The good news is things don't die instantly and if you have a backup pump it's a one minute swap.

I'm too old and lazy to fuck with all that dirt so using pumps to move water in, out and around is much more my speed. Everyone has their methods and their reasons, no judgements!

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I don't jump in other people's threads and regurgitate advice unless they ask a question I know the answer to. I am learning stuff all the time and I post it in my own thread. You can go back years and there's some stupid shit back there. It's a continuous process.
Yeah I cringe sometimes when I look at my old shit LMAO

Still, please stop by here regularly and I'll do the same. We're all learning...

m4s73r

The Laziest
The bad news is it's one pump. The good news is things don't die instantly and if you have a backup pump it's a one minute swap.

I'm too old and lazy to fuck with all that dirt so using pumps to move water in, out and around is much more my speed. Everyone has their methods and their reasons, no judgements!
Oh yeah, knowing what I know now, I wouldnt be so hesitant. Especially now that tech has moved forward. I could easily set up a back up system to run in the event of failure. But im kinda married to the soil at this point. So I lived my hydro dreams vicariously through you Tty! Thats why I'm glad your growing again. LOL

I am also lazy. Why do you think I have the beds?

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I am also lazy. Why do you think I have the beds?
Your idea of "lazy" makes my back hurt just thinking about it, growther!

I know it was a one time thing but you moved A LOT of dirt getting that all set up.

So I lived my hydro dreams vicariously through you Tty!
LMAO Funny, I'm doing the same thing with your thread!

The grass is always greener or something like that...

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
So for my previous calamitous outdoor rdwc build I was planing on using 48 quart coolers for each individual plants site burred to a couple of inches below the bottom of the cooler lid(fed/drain by 2" pvc also burried) but when I punched a hole with a drill in the thick plastic lid top and went at it with a saws all it was a shit show.
Question:What would you say the best way to cut a nice clean hole into a cooler lid to place a 5 gal bucket dwc collar on to it would be?

Cheers, Z.
A hole saw

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

Cheers, Z.
A router or a Dremel with a circle cutting jig would work. Your biggest issue would probably be finding bits that are long enough.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Trying to chill outdoor dwc no way in he'll. I would just do flood n drain or reverse flood from the top. Have a constant water flow that runs into the top of each bucket kinda like the Dutch bucket system. Use smaller buckets and flora flex rings, put drains in the bottom of each bucket that runs back to a master res that sits in the shade underground with a master pump. Elevate the plant buckets so return lines are all gravity. If the pump fails it won't flood. Flooded roots will die faster than drying out.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Add a few fish filters to the mix, the circular kind not the other kind forget what there called but they are beastly. That would clear out organic matter and only make sure clean water was being pumped to your buckets. I would also use a timing cycle timer like 2 min on 10 min off , plenty of oxygen to the roots , would prob be a killer setup imo.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Trying to chill outdoor dwc no way in he'll. I would just do flood n drain or reverse flood from the top. Have a constant water flow that runs into the top of each bucket kinda like the Dutch bucket system. Use smaller buckets and flora flex rings, put drains in the bottom of each bucket that runs back to a master res that sits in the shade underground with a master pump. Elevate the plant buckets so return lines are all gravity. If the pump fails it won't flood. Flooded roots will die faster than drying out.
This makes the most sense to me, too. It makes sense to shade the growing sites to keep them from overheating but trying to actually refrigerate them is a bridge too far. Placing the reservoir underground makes use of ground cooling without costing a bunch of energy. Episodic pumping of water to the growing sites is smart and I would go so far as to make sure there's some amount of absorbent substrate so plants have constant access to moisture. Gravity fed drainage would be relatively foolproof while allowing for that moisture to remain. Covering everything related to roots and irrigation with some kind of insulation will help a great deal with thermal management, which I think would be the biggest threat to the success of the system.

m4s73r

The Laziest
Your idea of "lazy" makes my back hurt just thinking about it, growther!

I know it was a one time thing but you moved A LOT of dirt getting that all set up.

LMAO Funny, I'm doing the same thing with your thread!

The grass is always greener or something like that...
True story. And im going to have to move them again when I get out the tents and on dollies. Thankfully I have a 13 year old that needs time off his electronics.

I cant wrap my head around out door dwc in buried buckets? What if it rains or snows and melts? This seems a lot more complicataed then just growing them in the ground. But then, im not that stoned at the moment. Maybe I need to get on the same level?

Thanks for all the great info nuggets H and I grew the hell out of some jet star tomatos on a dutch bucket run and that shit works awesome outdoors her in OK. Well... that is until we have a slobber knockle storm rip through with 60+ MPH winds that lasts for 2 days or it rains for 2 weeks straight. You are totally right about chilling outdoors being fantasy land timez but I was able to get the res temps into the 80's -90's even in the teeth of summer. The only way I could see having an outdoor rdwc in OK would basically having it in a covered wind proof and somewhat climate controlled greehouse with a fool proof way of oxygenating the water to keep some benies alive so they could keep pythium at bay.

Dude, please do a YouTube video(or 3 :LOL: ) if you do a new RDWC build as I want to give it another go inside in my buddies pimp ass new shop with 20 foot ceilings. Cheers, Z.

A hole saw
Hmmm... So shine cutting the hole big enough to fit a 5 gal dwc collar on it and instead just cut a 6" hole & drop a 6 "net pot directly on the hole likey this H?

61I-PEhu15L._SL1500_.jpg 6 inch Net Pot.jpg

Last edited:

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
True story. And im going to have to move them again when I get out the tents and on dollies. Thankfully I have a 13 year old that needs time off his electronics.

I cant wrap my head around out door dwc in buried buckets? What if it rains or snows and melts? This seems a lot more complicataed then just growing them in the ground. But then, im not that stoned at the moment. Maybe I need to get on the same level?
That's not my project, I'm just helping them brainstorm.

I'm very happy indoors, where I AM GOD! LOL

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I have an old aquarium I'm using for soil (potting soil) based clones. I got it cleaned up and I'm working on a door that will keep the humidity in. Once that's done I'll split this round's cuts between the aerocloner and the aquarium and we'll see which works best for me.