Upgrade due. Need advice

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Poncha is where the new growth is happening here. New grocery and hardware store right on the corner of 50/285...

My road is like taking a 50 year trip back in time....or more. Historic cabins, small weekender cabins and some old/new trailers. A lot of the properties are very sparsely used/haven't been used for years. Again...it's the (rare) creekside location that is the draw and what retains the value for most of those properties. There's only a few newer homes on the road. Even so..prices here have/are going up as prices "in town" rise. Rents as well. My neighbor rents an old, but fairly nice property on 10 acres...on the creek...for $1400 or 1500 a month. Like many places ...wages don't always reflect housing costs/living costs here. Folks can carve out a niche ewith skills and honesty/hard work though. My neighbor does remodels/carpentry/etc and stays busy. the tile guy I booked to do my bathroom/shower was 7 weeks out on schedule...so there's work to be had...for sure. I'm just glad I don't have to do that shit no mo...LOL.
I got real high and forgot about this last night, oops!

Sounds like a nice spot, there was an area similar to what you're describing down the road from the place I previously described west of poncha. Poncha doesn't have a lot but I did see the new grocery and hardware this September when I was out there. Pretty area, I can understand why you settled there. Much more mild winters are welcome I am sure.

D

Deleted member 60

I hear ya about the real estate bubble. Thing is...here at least....prices rise astronomically...then when they do fall...it isn't back to base level....then the roller coaster starts again and the curve on the graph is at a higher plane. There's another factor at play as well...that happens ONLY in the resort towns/real estate markets.....and that is...even with the crash of 2008-9....folks STILL VACATION...even if they are BROKE! Fuckers never learn..LOL. That's why a buncha folks don't have any real cash and 60% or some shit of them can't even cough up 10K from savings...for "retirement" (10K?) or for anything else. When folks are poor they still go and have fun/hit the movies/concerts/sporting events....BEFORE they save..IF they save at all. As a result...my properties here did take a hit in '09....but they were still at levels I'd never imagined in the 90's when I set it all in motion. Most folks who LIVE here will hang and ride it out...cus a roller coaster market is what we've ALWAYS had here. Only the speculators and folks who couldn't afford what they did..end up selloing and losing their investment. Then the locals scarf more property up like you are speaking about... LOL.

An idea is to find the place you think you want...hit the county records for an address...contact the owners...and see what they say/if they may wanna sell. I did this with the 3 acres next to me 2 years ago. Letters every 6 months showing interest finally led to a call 3 years later.....and I bought it without it ever hitting the market/etc. for cash.....for just over 1/2 of what he first started talking about as the price. They hadn't been down here in 18 years...and really hadn't used the property (vacant land) for 30 years /since the 80's when they bought it. I can build 2 houses there if I want to kill my privacy....LOL. Basically it's just a buffer from my (only!) right wing, non-pot smoking neighbor (sorry about that political tag....it's just the truth) and an investment.

I'm about 20 miles from Poncha.....and a world away. The growth is all over there....my town is a ghost town and has the rep for being where the hippies/outlaws/problem children settle....LOL... My realtor said "you sure you really wanna buy out there?" LOL. Sounded tailor made...and we jumped the fuck right on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punisher84

Just some asshole
I hear ya about the real estate bubble. Thing is...here at least....prices rise astronomically...then when they do fall...it isn't back to base level....then the roller coaster starts again and the curve on the graph is at a higher plane. There's another factor at play as well...that happens ONLY in the resort towns/real estate markets.....and that is...even with the crash of 2008-9....folks STILL VACATION...even if they are BROKE! Fuckers never learn..LOL. That's why a buncha folks don't have any real cash and 60% or some shit of them can't even cough up 10K from savings...for "retirement" (10K?) or for anything else. When folks are poor they still go and have fun/hit the movies/concerts/sporting events....BEFORE they save..IF they save at all. As a result...my properties here did take a hit in '09....but they were still at levels I'd never imagined in the 90's when I set it all in motion. Most folks who LIVE here will hang and ride it out...cus a roller coaster market is what we've ALWAYS had here. Only the speculators and folks who couldn't afford what they did..end up selloing and losing their investment. Then the locals scarf more property up like you are speaking about... LOL.

An idea is to find the place you think you want...hit the county records for an address...contact the owners...and see what they say/if they may wanna sell. I did this with the 3 acres next to me 2 years ago. Letters every 6 months showing interest finally led to a call 3 years later.....and I bought it without it ever hitting the market/etc. for cash.....for just over 1/2 of what he first started talking about as the price. They hadn't been down here in 18 years...and really hadn't used the property (vacant land) for 30 years /since the 80's when they bought it. I can build 2 houses there if I want to kill my privacy....LOL. Basically it's just a buffer from my (only!) right wing, non-pot smoking neighbor (sorry about that political tag....it's just the truth) and an investment.

I'm about 20 miles from Poncha.....and a world away. The growth is all over there....my town is a ghost town and has the rep for being where the hippies/outlaws/problem children settle....LOL... My realtor said "you sure you really wanna buy out there?" LOL. Sounded tailor made...and we jumped the fuck right on it.
I think I read somewhere where Colorado was one of the hardest hit states in 08-09 when you looked at real estate values. Fast forward and I think it said CO made one of the biggest turnarounds from the crash. I believe it.

One of my uncles moved to San Jose area back in the late 60's when he took a job with Lockheed. Built a house in a neighborhood and live there the whole time he was in cali. He sold that sucker in 2016 for 120 times what he built it for. Remodeled it prior to selling to get top dollar. Nice return on his investment ha.

Mailers work, when I was looking at buying a small commercial property I just sent letters to the owners. Turns out one had just passed away and his kids wanted to unload his strip mall. Couldn't sign fast enough.

D

Deleted member 60

I think alot of that take (Co got hit harder) comes from the fact that homes here escalated in value so much from the 90's til the crash. Far, far more than say...what my realtives saw in the Midwest. My old house...2400 sq ft.....was escalating 25-30k per year in value throughout the period. When the crash hit the value was easily 2.5 to 3 times what i had in it....and then it stalled for a bit before again going up >from that point< and never stopped.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
How long have you been in the union?
Only 4 years. I was an electrician for 10 before this. I would go home at the end of an 8 hr day and not feel satisfied. I wanted to build shit. Not electrical panels. But 2 years ago I broke my back and now I wish I was bending pipe and pulling wire all day. Oh well. You can shit it one hand and want in the other. Same thing

smokieokie

Insanely Active Member
Didnt know where I should put this so move it if needed. I was hoping someone here could help me. If I buy this light is there anything else I should know about it? It seems like the description is kinda confusing to me. Is there a dimmer with this driver or will I need a potentiometer? Was looking at the 320watt version. Thanks in advance.

Big Perm

Budtender
Didnt know where I should put this so move it if needed. I was hoping someone here could help me. If I buy this light is there anything else I should know about it? It seems like the description is kinda confusing to me. Is there a dimmer with this driver or will I need a potentiometer? Was looking at the 320watt version. Thanks in advance.

You'd be better off starting a new thread in the LED section.