Upgrade due. Need advice

GCG

Dinosaur
Dude talk to Turpman, You wont be sorry , the lights He has are fucking crazy good and the price is really good . 600 true watts and mixed spectrum .
I should be good now. May have too much for my little space. Those quantam boards have me fired up. Add the 315 and I should be good to go. The extra side lights may be overkill. If they are I'll use them and my Kind 750 to grow out some males in another room. Have a 600 HPS kicking around still too. May be time to pour a slab in another stall and build out a larger space.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Appreciate the help. I ended up buying 480 quantam boards rspec with uv/ir. Basically same light @Jesselikes2Grow posted in this thread. Going to run it with my CMH and see how it goes. Bought 100w household led bulbs to make a veg light and a small one for clones. Want to compare them to my t5's.
I should be good now. May have too much for my little space. Those quantam boards have me fired up. Add the 315 and I should be good to go. The extra side lights may be overkill. If they are I'll use them and my Kind 750 to grow out some males in another room. Have a 600 HPS kicking around still too. May be time to pour a slab in another stall and build out a larger space.
Ya overkill is right..lol. I was going to suggest to u that u shud take off the outer shell of the led bulbs in ur diy fixture. But u allready no that trick..👍.

But if u got the hlg 480 fixture isnt that 4 qb288's on a prebuilt fixture from hlg? Just plug n play? Or did u go the diy route using qb288's?

The qb288's are obviously a brighter board than the qb132's i had but the bonus for the qb132's is a more even coverage with 8 75w boards in a 4x4 opposed 4 120w boards. And the qb132's dont require heatsinks cause the boards are thicker than any other board they make. The qb132's run on 36volts and qb288's need 54 i think. The best thing bout qb288's is the newer option has added reds and uv im thinkn. Nevertheless good job on upgrading to quantums!

For me since i had no reds added other than whats in the 2700K & 3000k. So i bought the reptile cfls that have uv-a and uv-b. The added uv-a really gave boost of glitter in flower. My next flower setup will have more blues added to mix. Like a mix of 2700k and 4000k or 5000k.
I no u allready bought sum but was just sharing when i owned my quantums. You wil b very happy u did..
Good job Dude!

D

Deleted member 60

LOL....I wish I had a way to heed the warnings, guys....but we're headin' into udder destruction here of our only bathroom. Timing will be incredibly key or we'll be shittin in a bucket "toilet" for a whole lot longer than planned/than anyone wants to. It's likely we'll have to head to town to the Hot springs pool for showers for a bit.

Fun, EXPENSIVE stuff. My fuckin credit card is $moking.....what a week. Wayfair and Build.com love us....as does the tile store in town.... heehee. Diiiizzzzaaaam. Gonna be fuckin nice though. Too nice for this house...but hey...you only live once and it's only money....

GCG

Dinosaur
Im never doing a rehab project again. Done 2 houses while living in them and I'm done. It sucks uncovering and fixing all the shit people hide and rig behind walls, cabinets etc...always get crushed by hidden surprises that cant be anticipated. I've got 7 years until I end up in Colorado until then Im just keeping our place functional, no upgrades.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Im never doing a rehab project again. Done 2 houses while living in them and I'm done. It sucks uncovering and fixing all the shit people hide and rig behind walls, cabinets etc...always get crushed by hidden surprises that cant be anticipated. I've got 7 years until I end up in Colorado until then Im just keeping our place functional, no upgrades.
Why 7 years and why Colorado if you don’t mind me asking?

Reason for asking is I don’t know how many years and that’s my destination as well. I vacation there yearly, sometimes 2-3 times a year. I love the weather and the mountains. The legal reasons don’t even matter to me.

Shame you have bad experiences with remodels. The end product is gratifying to me anyway.

GCG

Dinosaur
Why 7 years and why Colorado if you don’t mind me asking?

Reason for asking is I don’t know how many years and that’s my destination as well. I vacation there yearly, sometimes 2-3 times a year. I love the weather and the mountains. The legal reasons don’t even matter to me.

Shame you have bad experiences with remodels. The end product is gratifying to me anyway.
Son goes off to college is 7 years. The day he graduates HS I'm out.
Choosing Colorado because Im addicted to 14ers. Have 7 under my belt now and I love snow, the more the better. Winter is my wheelhouse. Spend a few weeks a year there now and love every town I visit. Looking to buy a vacation property in Granby Ranch currently. The weather and topography have me hooked the legal weed scene is just a bonus.
As far as rehabbing, not entirely horrible experince just seems like I procrastinate when it's work for my house and never get everything finished until its time to sell. Probably more a me issue than anything else.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Son goes off to college is 7 years. The day he graduates HS I'm out.
Choosing Colorado because Im addicted to 14ers. Have 7 under my belt now and I love snow, the more the better. Winter is my wheelhouse. Spend a few weeks a year there now and love every town I visit. Looking to buy a vacation property in Granby Ranch currently. The weather and topography have me hooked the legal weed scene is just a bonus.
As far as rehabbing, not entirely horrible experince just seems like I procrastinate when it's work for my house and never get everything finished until its time to sell. Probably more a me issue than anything else.
I am right there with ya, winter is where it’s at. I spend twice as much time outdoors in the winter than I do in the summer. BS midwest heat and humidity can go to hell.

The high country is certainly a great place to be. I hiked the John Muir trail a few years ago with a buddy. It was fricken awesome. Love the 14ers as well, not had good luck with them though. I’ve done Huron, Shavano and Tabeguache. Ive failed at 4, 3 times for weather and another I had a real bad ear infection, messed me all up. Should have turned around on Shavano when I did it, wind blew me over several times but toughed it out. Did it this past September. I’ve stayed all over out there, this September I am shooting for Sneffels I think. Stay in Ouray or lake city.

I’d love to move out there, we could probably do it now, wife don’t have the balls yet I don’t think.

Granby is close to denver, not a bad drive anyway. For one reason or another I really liked the Steamboat springs area. We have stayed there twice, just the views and the area I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 60

Famous last words here. I said the same thing after spending 20+ years building a log home south of Leadville and remodeling my last house in the VV at the same time. In between those projects I bought my late son a house in Southern NM and did a ton of work there as well. When we jettisoned and sold it all and "retired"....I swore there was no way I was gonna do another fixer-upper. Then I walked onto this peice of property and ate my words. Been fixin and doin' for 6 years now. Didn't want a mortgage and this fit that bill. Gave up a couple of first class houses to live in a remodeled, added-on......40 year old structure that started life as a garage because it's situated in the setting I dreamed of since moving here 35+ years ago. (from the Tropics...'er...a...Midwest)

Shavano/the Sawatch is what I see when I head into town to get groceries/etc.. Salida is THE banana belt in the mountains. Take tommorow...all of the mountains and even GJ will be in the 30's....this area will bump 50 and everything East (downhill) will be warmer than that. I moved here for the skiing (@ 26) and did a shit ton of it....and love snow but after 30 years in Vail I'm glad I'm here (7000 ft) where it still snows but it.just doesn't build up like up north from Oct to May. I also wanted to grow pot outdoors...and have a real, functioning garden....so had to get out of the high mountain valleys. Without a doubt....you'll love living up in the northern part of the state if you like long winters and snow and cold weather. Best of luck with your land search/etc.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Famous last words here. I said the same thing after spending 20+ years building a log home south of Leadville and remodeling my last house in the VV at the same time. In between those projects I bought my late son a house in Southern NM and did a ton of work there as well. When we jettisoned and sold it all and "retired"....I swore there was no way I was gonna do another fixer-upper. Then I walked onto this peice of property and ate my words. Been fixin and doin' for 6 years now. Didn't want a mortgage and this fit that bill. Gave up a couple of first class houses to live in a remodeled, added-on......40 year old structure that started life as a garage because it's situated in the setting I dreamed of since moving here 35+ years ago. (from the Tropics...'er...a...Midwest)

Shavano/the Sawatch is what I see when I head into town to get groceries/etc.. Salida is THE banana belt in the mountains. Take tommorow...all of the mountains and even GJ will be in the 30's....this area will bump 50 and everything East (downhill) will be warmer than that. I moved here for the skiing (@ 26) and did a shit ton of it....and love snow but after 30 years in Vail I'm glad I'm here (7000 ft) where it still snows but it.just doesn't build up like up north from Oct to May. I also wanted to grow pot outdoors...and have a real, functioning garden....so had to get out of the high mountain valleys. Without a doubt....you'll love living up in the northern part of the state if you like long winters and snow and cold weather. Best of luck with your land search/etc.
Stayed in Salida this year in September and last year too, Moonlight pizza has some good grub, the other pizza place does as well, I can’t think of the name of it. Salida is a neat town. Stayed in Beuna Vista and Leadville too. Pretty views from the pass west of BV.

Fixer uppers are fine. So long as you’re not living there. I spent 11 months trying to buy my first one. Bank of America had their head up their ass, but we got it done. I put about 10k into it, mostly little shit and painting. Big house, 4K sqft. Sold it 9 months later for twice what I paid for it. We never lived there. I’m living in the 3rd house we fixed up, still have a few odds and ends to finish but it’s done 99%.

First one I said id never do it again. Now I am on my 4th.

I think I was 15 years old and my old bus driver(very wealthy) told me he never made any money working, said he made his money on inflation. It took me some years to understand that but now that I do he is right.

D

Deleted member 60

Amica's. Yeah....it's a decent town once you get off the highway. Houses in town have inflated big time in the last 5-10 years. I'm sure you scoped that out/etc. if you've been here a few times. I know I always did/dreamed when we lived in MO and came out to ski 4-5 times a season.

No choice but to live here and do the deed. And with only 800 sq ft....I really use my 900 sq ft garage.... :ROFLMAO:. (garage was built in 2015/the first year we were here). It's crazy how many times I've moved shit around to do this and that. I've put 18 windows, 3 sliding doors and 2 entry doors in this little place. The only way to make it feel larger is to bring the outdoors inside.

I know all about appreciation on homes. My VV house sold for 4x what I built it for and we lived there for 25 years. Bwahahaha. Best investment I ever made. Barely qualified for the loan. Was poor as fuck at the onset...and droppin babies ta boot...LOL. Crazy times working 3 jobs at once....and still skiing 2-3 days a week. Gotta really want it to live (buy) here or be rich when you arrive. Real Estate is still goin through the roof and our population is exploding statewide.

@GCG ......you looking to build or buy an existing place up there?

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Amica's. Yeah....it's a decent town once you get off the highway. Houses in town have inflated big time in the last 5-10 years. I'm sure you scoped that out/etc. if you've been here a few times. I know I always did/dreamed when we lived in MO and came out to ski 4-5 times a season.

No choice but to live here and do the deed. And with only 800 sq ft....I really use my 900 sq ft garage.... :ROFLMAO:. (garage was built in 2015/the first year we were here). It's crazy how many times I've moved shit around to do this and that. I've put 18 windows, 3 sliding doors and 2 entry doors in this little place. The only way to make it feel larger is to bring the outdoors inside.

I know all about appreciation on homes. My VV house sold for 4x what I built it for and we lived there for 25 years. Bwahahaha. Best investment I ever made. Barely qualified for the loan. Was poor as fuck at the onset...and droppin babies ta boot...LOL. Crazy times working 3 jobs at once....and still skiing 2-3 days a week. Gotta really want it to live (buy) here or be rich when you arrive. Real Estate is still goin through the roof and our population is exploding statewide.

Boy you ain’t a kidding, real estate prices are astronomical there. Amica‘s yep. I got the lasagna last time.

Here in the midwest it costs more to build than buy, my folks spend $250k building a house they might get $170 out of. Don’t ask me why they did it either. “retirement“ home.

Not sure what building costs are out there but I’d certainly find a foreclosure or buy one at auction before I built a home.

800sqft. I’d need more room than that, I don’t like my wife THAT much 😂

GCG

Dinosaur

We've been looking at Condos at Base Camp One is Granby. Ski in /Ski out type thing we can use a couple times a year and rent out the rest. Granby is smaller than all the big places but perfect for us. And Winter Park being 20 minutes away doesnt hurt if we want more.
Not where we'll end up but will serve a purpose until we decide where we want to settle. Open to buying a piece of land down the road and building a nice cabin but the condo is first.
I have a childhood friend who has lived in Vail since 92 or 93. Hadnt seen him since we were little kids and found him out there a few years ago.

GCG

Dinosaur
Boy you ain’t a kidding, real estate prices are astronomical there. Amica‘s yep. I got the lasagna last time.

Here in the midwest it costs more to build than buy, my folks spend $250k building a house they might get $170 out of. Don’t ask me why they did it either. “retirement“ home.

Not sure what building costs are out there but I’d certainly find a foreclosure or buy one at auction before I built a home.

800sqft. I’d need more room than that, I don’t like my wife THAT much 😂
Same shit in the southeast cheaper to buy. Crazy to think you can spend few 100k building and have negative equity at close.

D

Deleted member 60

I skiied that area decades ago when it was called....um.....damn..... it;s changed names so many times I can't remember...LOL. Silver Cliff or Creek, maybe? We went over on a weekend day to just cruise while staying a week at WP cus WP was (is) crowded as fuck on weekends. Skiied Mary Jane the fist day it opened.....'74 think it was. Have skiied most of the areas in CO and lots in Utah/NM/Cali as well.

Salida real eastate is a bargain compared to the VV. LOL.....but it's still kinda pricey. We bought this place.....12 miles from town... for the 7+ acres of trees and the year round creek 20 ft out the front door....not the house. (not at Salida prices) We're on a dead end road that ends at the National forest. (no access.....thankfully) We also border BLM land. Went from 2400 to 800 sq ft...and thought at first we'd tear the place down....but if yer gonna retire here you can't live like you did when you worked (large)...for sure....so we opted to remodel this place and build a nice garage and greenhouse instead of a house/mortgage. And the house in the VV...we got to the point we couldn't afford NOT to sell it and cash out. It was time. i did my ski thing and have had well enough of the tourists after years of working lifts and service industry type jobs. Salida gets tourist traffic but we avoid the big festivals/weekends/etc. and stay out of the mix. I like the weather (although salida is damn windy) and that there's no traffic and that most everyone is laid back/not macho/are outdoor type folks who stay active.

You can't build a house here for less thasn $150 a sq...and that's scrapin ass with no niceties....and doesn't include the land. In my county and many other counties you have to build at least 700 sq ft...and have full electric/sewer...no off grid/etc. as a primary source of power. And then there's water. Far different than the Midwest. Many rural houses have a "Household Use Only" designation for their well and cannot water outside whatsoever. Anther reason we bought this place is that it has a Domestic/livestock well permit designation and we are allowed a garden/outside water uses. Our place was permitted in the 70's before the law changed. At present you have to own 35 acres or more to get such a well designation. All of it makes owning here more expensive than "back East". The Feds and the State own a lot of land here and that makes private land far more valuable...especially if it has water/water rights to that water. In my last county 80% of the land was owned by the Gov't.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Same shit in the southeast cheaper to buy. Crazy to think you can spend few 100k building and have negative equity at close.
Yep I have no clue how builders are selling spec houses here. There’s a few around building new and selling. They sit for a while before being sold. Can’t make much money on them. I don’t know how they do it

D

Deleted member 60

You can still find "relatively" cheap places to buy in this state but there are usually not many jobs/opportunities for work/etc. in those areas or there is a challenge with water. Someone retiring with $$$ can get out there in the boonies/quietness a bit and find old farms/cabins/etc. for far less than city/resort properties. Anywhere you can commute to a ski resort or tourist town within an hour you will pay more. Pretty cheap to live on the Plains with the REDnecks and cows though. Just don't spark up. :ROFLMAO:

Punisher84

Just some asshole
You can still find "relatively" cheap places to buy in this state but there are usually not many jobs/opportunities for work/etc. in those areas or there is a challenge with water. Someone retiring with $$$ can get out there in the boonies/quietness a bit and find old farms/cabins/etc. for far less than city/resort properties. Anywhere you can commute to a ski resort or tourist town within an hour you will pay more. Pretty cheap to live on the Plains with the REDnecks and cows though. Just don't spark up. :ROFLMAO:
Couldn’t pay me to be a flatlander in Colorado. Last year we stayed in a little house just west of poncha springs, probably 800sqft. They bought it and a few years later build some big fancy house they live in now. They vrbo the little house now. Nice place, one of the forks of the Arkansas River was right in the back yard.

I watch real estate like a hawk, I’ve seen a few bargains out there. They are out there but need some sweat equity. Take some capitol for some but a 500k purchase could turn into a 1m sale with some work.

D

Deleted member 60

Poncha is where the new growth is happening here. New grocery and hardware store right on the corner of 50/285...

My road is like taking a 50 year trip back in time....or more. Historic cabins, small weekender cabins and some old/new trailers. A lot of the properties are very sparsely used/haven't been used for years. Again...it's the (rare) creekside location that is the draw and what retains the value for most of those properties. There's only a few newer homes on the road. Even so..prices here have/are going up as prices "in town" rise. Rents as well. My neighbor rents an old, but fairly nice property on 10 acres...on the creek...for $1400 or 1500 a month. Like many places ...wages don't always reflect housing costs/living costs here. Folks can carve out a niche ewith skills and honesty/hard work though. My neighbor does remodels/carpentry/etc and stays busy. the tile guy I booked to do my bathroom/shower was 7 weeks out on schedule...so there's work to be had...for sure. I'm just glad I don't have to do that shit no mo...LOL.

GCG

Dinosaur
I skiied that area decades ago when it was called....um.....damn..... it;s changed names so many times I can't remember...LOL. Silver Cliff or Creek, maybe? We went over on a weekend day to just cruise while staying a week at WP cus WP was (is) crowded as fuck on weekends. Skiied Mary Jane the fist day it opened.....'74 think it was. Have skiied most of the areas in CO and lots in Utah/NM/Cali as well.

Salida real eastate is a bargain compared to the VV. LOL.....but it's still kinda pricey. We bought this place.....12 miles from town... for the 7+ acres of trees and the year round creek 20 ft out the front door....not the house. (not at Salida prices) We're on a dead end road that ends at the National forest. (no access.....thankfully) We also border BLM land. Went from 2400 to 800 sq ft...and thought at first we'd tear the place down....but if yer gonna retire here you can't live like you did when you worked (large)...for sure....so we opted to remodel this place and build a nice garage and greenhouse instead of a house/mortgage. And the house in the VV...we got to the point we couldn't afford NOT to sell it and cash out. It was time. i did my ski thing and have had well enough of the tourists after years of working lifts and service industry type jobs. Salida gets tourist traffic but we avoid the big festivals/weekends/etc. and stay out of the mix. I like the weather (although salida is damn windy) and that there's no traffic and that most everyone is laid back/not macho/are outdoor type folks who stay active.

You can't build a house here for less thasn $150 a sq...and that's scrapin ass with no niceties....and doesn't include the land. In my county and many other counties you have to build at least 700 sq ft...and have full electric/sewer...no off grid/etc. as a primary source of power. And then there's water. Far different than the Midwest. Many rural houses have a "Household Use Only" designation for their well and cannot water outside whatsoever. Anther reason we bought this place is that it has a Domestic/livestock well permit designation and we are allowed a garden/outside water uses. Our place was permitted in the 70's before the law changed. At present you have to own 35 acres or more to get such a well designation. All of it makes owning here more expensive than "back East". The Feds and the State own a lot of land here and that makes private land far more valuable...especially if it has water/water rights to that water. In my last county 80% of the land was owned by the Gov't.
Brother your set up sounds incredible. Im truly jealous. Ive got 7 years to find my dream place out there and it may take me all of it but I'll find it eventually.
No political commentary meant just historically we are way overdue for a crash and whem that happens Im ready to buy some things.
I have a childhood friend who worked at Vail off and on from like 92 on. Hes still there, hooked me up with a shitload of passes a few years ago. Was cool I hadnt seen him since middle school in the early 80's