Too Stubborn to clone ?

SCJedi

Synergist
You know I’m dumb high responding to a post a month old lolol
Nah, someone will see it. Try this:

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I have a particular plant that I have yet to successfully clone.
I have 2 rounds of cuts from AUGUST, and the last snippets were taken Sept 5th.
12 sad sprigs. Some two months old. They yellow from the bottom up eventually. Not one is dead dead. We are talking Billy Chrystal "mostly dead" . They endlessly retreat back to the leading growth tip where they form a ugly dark green snarl, and remain Frozen in Time.
Not one root. Not one bump. They didnt even puff or callous at the snipped dipped tips.

I have taken clutches of clones from 4 other plants during this time. Not all pageant winners, although I never lost even ONE.

I have tried
  • Straight RO
  • Straight tap
  • 1/4 strength 1st week nutes @ 50ppm
  • Hydro Vitamin B commercial product
  • Hydroton continuous bubbles
  • Coco soiless mix f&d
Really, none of those were outrageously unconventional. During all those tweeks thier comrade cannabis friends all put down roots.
Nothing I have tried has failed other strains. Just the one plant.

Looking this over now, I realise that I have dipped EVERY clone I have ever tried.
I do not have Aloe, and the last jar of honey I bought was so cheap, I have my doubts of its origins.

On my very first grow I had a fine lady that reeked of gramma's frozen - then thawed- soogypriariegardenstrawberries. I burnt that sucker down and tossed the rootball away.
Never to be seen again.
Promised myself I would grab a few copies from there on in.

Well, this one wont cooperate. Now it is four weeks into flower. Doesn't strike me as anything special, but I wont really know until @juicyJay and I sit down and discuss it - proper.

Any advice for a stubborn cut ?
Make yourself an aero cloner. You will root everything 100% or pretty to that. Doesn't have to be big.

You know I’m dumb high responding to a post a month old lolol
game on again, lol

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
@pleasecheese how does this work for you? I tried it on a rubber tree once and it worked pretty good.
it works good if you are really worried that you may be unsuccessful actually cutting the clone off the plant. i would do it with a bag and whatever medium you use to put clones in ie. coco, soil, etc... It was difficult keeping the root riot plugs moist while they were in the grow room so that is why i recommend the bag method. Bag method also helps prevent yellowing because the roots will have what they need immediately.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
it works good if you are really worried that you may be unsuccessful actually cutting the clone off the plant. i would do it with a bag and whatever medium you use to put clones in ie. coco, soil, etc... It was difficult keeping the root riot plugs moist while they were in the grow room so that is why i recommend the bag method. Bag method also helps prevent yellowing because the roots will have what they need immediately.
I remember using moss wrapped around a stalk and wrapping it all in Saran Wrap to keep it moist. Once in a while I would use an oral syringe to get some water in there.

Do you do anything to the site where you want roots or just wrap it and go?

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
I remember using moss wrapped around a stalk and wrapping it all in Saran Wrap to keep it moist. Once in a while I would use an oral syringe to get some water in there.

Do you do anything to the site where you want roots or just wrap it and go?
everything like you normally would except no 45 cut of course. Strip a few nodes, scrape the stem a little to rough it up, apply rooting hormone, wrap in plastic bag with medium.(soil, coco)... poke holes in the bag to breathe. then keep it moist and your good to go. You are basically cloning without cutting the clone off.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
everything like you normally would except no 45 cut of course. Strip a few nodes, scrape the stem a little to rough it up, apply rooting hormone, wrap in plastic bag with medium.(soil, coco)... poke holes in the bag to breathe. then keep it moist and your good to go. You are basically cloning without cutting the clone off.
This actually brings back some old memories back in the early 90s my buddy that got me into growing (RIP not with us anymore) used this technique, was the only way we knew how to duplicate a plant back then cause we were strictly outdoors in those days. We would take plastic bottles remove the lid and slice it open to make a funnel, stick it around a branch upside down and fill with dirt, prop it up with some legs and keep it moist. Couple weeks later you could see roots through the clear plastic then cut it off. I thought that was cool as shit back then. I seen something a few months back that clamps around a branch, looked like it would hold a starter cube or rapid rooter, was wondering if it was used for that. Really cool to see others use this technique!

Stoned Cold Bulldog

I resorted to painting rooting hormone on the cuts a in advance. Like while on the mom . Wait for bumps then cut bam 6 7 days later roots no matter the method.
SO BASICALLY YOU ARE using gel on stems and waiting. u said hormones but can u tell exactly what you are using please? thx

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
Well if you take a cutting and it get air up the stem...it wont root.
Myself I have always done my cuttings dwc.
I make my own tubs save tons of money.

One other thing ill mention. I have had cutting root faster the old fashioned Mamma way..
Just sitting in a cup of water. Changing the water in the cup in a couple days..couple day laters....roots.

I use nothing but ph 6.2 water in my clone tubs,,,no gels or any rooting compounds.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Well if you take a cutting and it get air up the stem...it wont root.
Myself I have always done my cuttings dwc.
I make my own tubs save tons of money.

One other thing ill mention. I have had cutting root faster the old fashioned Mamma way..
Just sitting in a cup of water. Changing the water in the cup in a couple days..couple day laters....roots.

I use nothing but ph 6.2 water in my clone tubs,,,no gels or any rooting compounds.
I'm not convinced on the air in the stem because I grow outdoor a lot and I've picked up small seedlings that had been cut down by some rodent or something and dried out pretty bad, just stuck in a cloner for the hell of it and root. Not that I would practice that, just an experience.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
I'm not convinced on the air in the stem because I grow outdoor a lot and I've picked up small seedlings that had been cut down by some rodent or something and dried out pretty bad, just stuck in a cloner for the hell of it and root. Not that I would practice that, just an experience.

I think I might have an explanation...

I'm gonna start a chipmunk farm, harvest their saliva and market it as the latest cloning gel!

Lady Zandra

An option I haven't tried yet is cloning while the 'cutting' is still on the plant...
This has been done for YEARS in farming...and my dad used to do it with raspberry canes...
I have just recently seen people doing it with their cannabis.

Pick a sturdy stem. Carefully score the bark (not too deep) and paint the scoring with clone gel...
Wrap a wet root cube around it by slitting it up one side.
Secure it tightly in place, and wrap with plastic wrap to keep it damp.
Check every day to keep it from drying out..
Once you see roots starting to poke through the cube-cut the branch just below the cube!
Viola- rooted clone!

It is supposedly healthier and faster, since the donor mom is still feeding it as it roots.

I'm gonna try it this weekend...

Let me know if you try it, and if it works for you! ;)

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
An option I haven't tried yet is cloning while the 'cutting' is still on the plant...
This has been done for YEARS in farming...and my dad used to do it with raspberry canes...
I have just recently seen people doing it with their cannabis.

Pick a sturdy stem. Carefully score the bark (not too deep) and paint the scoring with clone gel...
Wrap a wet root cube around it by slitting it up one side.
Secure it tightly in place, and wrap with plastic wrap to keep it damp.
Check every day to keep it from drying out..
Once you see roots starting to poke through the cube-cut the branch just below the cube!
Viola- rooted clone!

It is supposedly healthier and faster, since the donor mom is still feeding it as it roots.

I'm gonna try it this weekend...

Let me know if you try it, and if it works for you! ;)
It’s called air layering. I’ve done it on a rubber tree, but not on weed.