Too Stubborn to clone ?

Jewels

Bon~Fire
I have a particular plant that I have yet to successfully clone.
I have 2 rounds of cuts from AUGUST, and the last snippets were taken Sept 5th.
12 sad sprigs. Some two months old. They yellow from the bottom up eventually. Not one is dead dead. We are talking Billy Chrystal "mostly dead" . They endlessly retreat back to the leading growth tip where they form a ugly dark green snarl, and remain Frozen in Time.
Not one root. Not one bump. They didnt even puff or callous at the snipped dipped tips.

I have taken clutches of clones from 4 other plants during this time. Not all pageant winners, although I never lost even ONE.

I have tried
  • Straight RO
  • Straight tap
  • 1/4 strength 1st week nutes @ 50ppm
  • Hydro Vitamin B commercial product
  • Hydroton continuous bubbles
  • Coco soiless mix f&d
Really, none of those were outrageously unconventional. During all those tweeks thier comrade cannabis friends all put down roots.
Nothing I have tried has failed other strains. Just the one plant.

Looking this over now, I realise that I have dipped EVERY clone I have ever tried.
I do not have Aloe, and the last jar of honey I bought was so cheap, I have my doubts of its origins.

On my very first grow I had a fine lady that reeked of gramma's frozen - then thawed- soogypriariegardenstrawberries. I burnt that sucker down and tossed the rootball away.
Never to be seen again.
Promised myself I would grab a few copies from there on in.

Well, this one wont cooperate. Now it is four weeks into flower. Doesn't strike me as anything special, but I wont really know until @juicyJay and I sit down and discuss it - proper.

Any advice for a stubborn cut ?

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Plant in question is mystery, indica looking.
Foreground.
20191004_111910.jpg

I was potting up other clones the other day. I was tipping this one at a great angle and the clone just plopped out on the concrete floor.
I have been stepping over it for two days.
20191008_231158.jpg
That is a lot of f'n'nothing for two months.
20191008_231345.jpg
Perhaps I should stick to Sativa.
Barely traumatized that one.
20191008_215355.jpg

SCJedi

Synergist
I have a plant like this that just doesn't like to root, reverse, or be pollinated. She's just a bitch doing her own thing

I've had it for a while and it's just dudded. I keep saying that I'm going to TC it and see if it changes it's tune. We will see but I'm not ready to cut her loose yet.

My point is that if you have something special then try and work with it.

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
I have clones of BBC and Jenny (chem pheno) that have been sitting in solo cups for around 2 months. Out of 14 cuts of Jenny only one rooted tossed 11 kept two. One was calloused with the tiniest bump starting, threw that in dirt. The other still chilling nothing, like yours, still green. The BBC only rooted one of three. The other two are callousing now but 2 months is insane. I'm used to roots in a week. The MAC tho wouldn't root for me at all. Thought about how I could save her. Now she's gone, 😣. Nothing I tried worked for her. Cloner cup different watering added nutes nothing. They would drop after a day.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
20191009_005152.jpg
I read on clonex site that no action meant product was too strong.
They (clonex) have 3 versions .20-.50 %

I think if my skeleton cookie dropped a leaf on wet ground there would be another plant there !
if you have something special then try and work with it
Right on ! I appreciate the reply folks. I guess I have another four weeks of sneaky snipping.
I need to learn this skill. At the moment I dont know what I have here. Could be a nothing.
I have fuddled my way through germ, sprout, veg , flower and cure. Not really spectacular in any facet. Trying to round out my game.

I might lick the end of a monstercrop, put it in the windowsill, and see what happens.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I'd suggest moving to Clonex for dipping and cubes/plugs soaked in RTU myco Jordan elite 91. Otherwise fire up a 5g bucket aerocloner and use Clonex and KLN
I don't use Clonex anymore, just KLN and chlorine in my Turbokloner. One of the big limitations on cloning is the temperature of the water it's in. You need cool water, 74 and below, if cloning in liquid. I don't clone in any other substrate so that's my experience.

.....snip........
That is a lot of f'n'nothing for two moView attachment 25100
Perhaps I should stick to Sativa.
...snip...
Your plant looks lovely.

Your cutting looks like it has an air embolism. When that happens to me I cut the bottom off and that often saves it. But not always.

SCJedi

Synergist
Sorry but if it was a matter of losing or getting to keep a gem I'd move to in vitro. If you can't do it then just pay someone to do it for you.

I hate that I tossed my old animal cookie cut because it was a bitch to clone.
I have a plant like this that just doesn't like to root, reverse, or be pollinated. She's just a bitch doing her own thing

I've had it for a while and it's just dudded. I keep saying that I'm going to TC it and see if it changes it's tune. We will see but I'm not ready to cut her loose yet.

My point is that if you have something special then try and work with it.
Anyone ever try air layering a cannabis plant?
@pleasecheese

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Sorry but if it was a matter of losing or getting to keep a gem I'd move to in vitro. If you can't do it then just pay someone to do it for you.

I hate that I tossed my old animal cookie cut because it was a bitch to clone.

@pleasecheese
By in vitro do you mean Tissue Culture?

PS I get around woody stems by crushing the stem or abrading it, easy peasy. Similar to scarifying seeds.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Congrats on the roots! nicely done!

For the few plants I've had that resisted rooting, a few things helped.

Taking fresh growth cuts (as stated), while that tissue is actively growing and reproducing rapidly at a cellular level.
Always use a sharp razor, never scissors, and get a good angled cut (surface area), then immediately into a cup of distilled/purified water.
Once all the cuts of that variety are in the cup, I transfer to a second cup with a few drops of rooting gel mixed in well. Allowing them all the same amout of time in the gel mix soak.

At about 30 minutes to an hr, They go into into pre punched rockwool cubes, cut myself from slabs, pre-moistened and ph balanced at about 5.6 with Distilled water.

Rockwool is one of the easiest mediums to keep a steady and proportional air/oxygen and moisture supply
Essential for promoting roots initial growth.

Or same prep but into a bubble type cloner with a few drops of Rootech gel/ Gallon of distilled H2O.
I change that after 1 day. Or sooner if I notice severe twisting curling of the leaves. or A bending/ semi wilting of the whole cut.

I dont use any domes, but I do mist as needed.

Attachments