The official Heisenbeans Youtube Competition

Alpha Omega

RO definitely makes a big difference in hydro. Soil is a totally different ball game because of how it the chlorine binds to the soil particles and how the microbial life manages everything.

I've honestly never had any issues with out of control bugs in my soil and I've never done anything to "clean" the soil...I just store it indoors and keep everything as clean as possible. Most of the people I've heard having those issues were getting them from Fox Farms Ocean Forest or their own homemade soil that they had brewing outdoors.
Happy Frog too. Every bag I ever bought. I just use bowls of vinegar and water with a drop of dish liquid. Never been an issue to the plants and the gnats usually die out in a couple weeks... if you are trapping/killing the flyers.

The soil is just worth it imo. Some say just dump it into a plastic tote and let it dry out over a few weeks.

Alpha Omega

I am have used fabric and plastic pots. I think the little shits have eaten some of my seedlings before they can break the soil! I have tails popped, looking good a few days later... still no sprout, dig around and cant find the seedling and I see the little shits running around. I orderd my Roots Organic online and it comes in a sealed bag . I had them with other soil too. I also have recently noticed the last bag of soil seems to be slower drainig. I think additional perlite would help. I will try It when I up pot. Mix some in and on top.
That happen to me using freakin mycrorizan! I didnt give those details as I assumed no one would believe the sprout tail just vanished. Only the shell was left.

Dshep0613

Really Active Member
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks from opening the pack and getting them in a shot glass. Got 7 healthy ones and 1 thats super shy and coming along at a slower pace. Normally I'm not in a hurry with seeds, and I'd be stoked with how these plants are doing for being 3 weeks along, but seems like they should be bigger. Maybe it's cuz I check em every couple hours they don't seem to grow. Still, feeling good about how I think they will turn out. The runt is next to a deformed mendo purp I got from seed awhile ago. Just letting her grow for fun. Gonna be 6 months until I can put her in flower at the rate she grows.

Attachments

Dshep0613

Really Active Member
I

We can let them finish we just have a deadline for the flower pics
I follow the other thread too, and I keep getting my dates mixed up. I was just gonna send my pic in July 4th, even if it wasn't 100% finished. I kinda think they are at their prettiest right before the leaves get all yellow. I was thinking of sending mine in right when the fade is at its peak. Still got some time, so it could change too.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Thanks for the replies on the fungus knats, i got some things to try, they are mostly annoying and not a problem when the plants are up. I think there is a point when the tap root is just popping out they can get thier little root eating fangs in it It seems after thr seedling stretch out a little no more problems. Enough about the knats, they,ll throw me in the kitchen sink!

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
top dress the first inch or so in the soil. It dries after a day. How often do you water?
Twice a day typically. If it's a seedling you dont want it in dry soil anyway unless I been doing this wrong all along. Why choose De when there are options specific and better for the cause. Cost? If the DE is dry and in a environment that is slightly windy do the math. It's horrible for people to inhale. It will cause ph and aeration changes as well as ec in your soil. Bti for the win.

Dalton

Nobody
Twice a day typically. If it's a seedling you dont want it in dry soil anyway unless I been doing this wrong all along. Why choose De when there are options specific and better for the cause. Cost? If the DE is dry and in a environment that is slightly windy do the math. It's horrible for people to inhale. It will cause ph and aeration changes as well as ec in your soil. Bti for the win.
I use the five day rule. More dry days than wet and your gnat problem will be gone. in my experience fungus gnats come from overwatering or soil bags stored outside ( and not left to dry before use) DE is just another precaution before you have a gnat problem

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I use the five day rule. More dry days than wet and your gnat problem will be gone. in my experience fungus gnats come from overwatering or soil bags stored outside ( and not left to dry before use) DE is just another precaution before you have a gnat problem
My 3 gallons will drink themselves dry In less than a day lol. 5 days they will die. Soil vs coco.