The Junk Yard

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Grow Log 05/23/19

The herd continues to thin as males are culled. By the middle of next month these should be in the growroom flowering. Pests have been a mother f^cker this spring. I'm starting to count them by what I don't have. Thrips, aphids, caterpillars, silk worms, beatles, leaf hoppers, katydids, and broad mites. The only ones I haven't seen yet this year are spider mites.
20190523_123415.jpg20190523_123430.jpg20190523_123442.jpg

The garden, however, has gone nearly unscathed. May have a broad mite issue on one or it could have just been hail damage.
20190523_101945.jpg20190523_123748.jpg

The Chocolate Orange Creamsicle really stand out with their elephant ears. Hard to believe they're Sativa doms.
20190523_123014.jpg20190523_123027.jpg

JWM2

Grow Log 05/23/19

The herd continues to thin as males are culled. By the middle of next month these should be in the growroom flowering. Pests have been a mother f^cker this spring. I'm starting to count them by what I don't have. Thrips, aphids, caterpillars, silk worms, beatles, leaf hoppers, katydids, and broad mites. The only ones I haven't seen yet this year are spider mites.
View attachment 7320View attachment 7321View attachment 7322

The garden, however, has gone nearly unscathed. May have a broad mite issue on one or it could have just been hail damage.
View attachment 7323View attachment 7324

The Chocolate Orange Creamsicle really stand out with their elephant ears. Hard to believe they're Sativa doms.
View attachment 7325View attachment 7326
Man I’d love to grow outdoors. You guys have it made. Free light and all the space in the world.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Man I’d love to grow outdoors. You guys have it made. Free light and all the space in the world.
Dude, believe me, it's not free. The pests have been ridiculous this spring. If I can keep the girls alive I'll pyrethrin fog em in about a week and half. I'm seeing some severe leaf cupping on a few. The water based Bonide pyrethrin slowed down the mites but the surface tension of water based products doesn't allow it to reach the smallest crevices. I could try to use use Dawn as a surfactant it but I'd rather fog and get more certain results. Will feed along with aspirin tomorrow to help counteract the effects of the phytotoxin.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Grow Log 05/25/19

Culled more of the weaker ones. You can't be sentimental when it comes to vectors of pests and disease. Weak plants contaminate the strong.
20190525_150156.jpg
Almost pulled the rest of the Lemon Garlic OG but I figured I'd give the last two a chance to recover before I yank em. Only 17 left from nearly 40.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Grow Log 05/26/19

20190526_191900.jpg20190526_191916.jpg20190526_190957.jpg20190526_190934.jpg

Only the Jack Herer & Uzi Cookies are true entries in the Solo cup challenge. If the Banana Crack goes fem I've got big plans for her. That plant is too rare to waste on a competition. These beans need to get back out there. Holy Smoke Seeds hit it out of the park with this strain. I can't understand why they stopped breeding it.
20190526_192036.jpg20190526_192051.jpg

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Grow Log 05/30/19

Yanked the Jack Herer in the corner. There's been something wrong with that plant from the beginning. In fact, all but one of the Jack Herer I popped have been sh*t plants. Maybe from too much in-breeding. I'll fix that, though. Planning on fem X'ing with some of my other favorites in search of that high THCv pheno. The Banana Crack bean I just started is going in that corner. I got a good feeling it's a "she".
20190530_094044.jpg20190530_094022.jpg20190530_091038.jpg20190530_091055.jpg

The Banana Crack (right) is an insanely fast grower. Might keep it even if male, for a chuck.
20190530_094434.jpg
The mother was a 6.5lb'er. Almost 3x the yield of every other plant in the garden last year.
20190530_111225.jpg

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Your a good man, s junk. I like how your cullin all them weak ass plants. When you get like five hundred lbs per plant you d rather just keep the best I guess eh 😆
Thanks man.

I popped way too many beans this year and I had to break my packrat like compulsion to save every one. It was not easy.

In regard to my earlier post...

Jack Herer can be a difficult plant. I knew that before I hatched em and I'm really thankful to @Phylex for the trade. All I needed was one good strong female to make clones and I've got at least one. Very very happy. Been wanting to grow this strain for 3 yrs.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Grow Log 05/30/19

Yanked the Jack Herer in the corner. There's been something wrong with that plant from the beginning. In fact, all but one of the Jack Herer I popped have been sh*t plants. Maybe from too much in-breeding. I'll fix that, though. Planning on fem X'ing with some of my other favorites in search of that high THCv pheno. The Banana Crack bean I just started is going in that corner. I got a good feeling it's a "she".
View attachment 8114View attachment 8118View attachment 8117View attachment 8115

The Banana Crack (right) is an insanely fast grower. Might keep it even if male, for a chuck.
View attachment 8120
The mother was a 6.5lb'er. Almost 3x the yield of every other plant in the garden last year.
View attachment 8124
What issues are you seeing with the Jack's?

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
What issues are you seeing with the Jack's?
I wish I would have taken pics. A lot of deformed, necrotic, new growth, and limp leaves. I think it's some sort of root issue. When I pulled the one in the garden the roots were weak and broke away easily. I know it's not soil or nutes cause I have one that's doing fantastic with the exact same soil and nutes.

So you know, I'm not complaining, just stating observations. Like I said before, I'm very happy that I have a successful one. That's all I needed.

This one looks like it might be another funky one...
20190531_165510.jpg

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
I wish I would have taken pics. A lot of deformed, necrotic, new growth, and limp leaves. I think it's some sort of root issue. When I pulled the one in the garden the roots were weak and broke away easily. I know it's not soil or nutes cause I have one that's doing fantastic with the exact same soil and nutes.

So you know, I'm not complaining, just stating observations. Like I said before, I'm very happy that I have a successful one. That's all I needed.

This one looks like it might be another funky one...
View attachment 8341
I was just curious because I haven't popped any yet. I had a few start out like that from a couple of other strains but they pulled out of it. The Ghost Train Haze currently in my flower tent was one of them. It's on the bottom right. I think I have 5 or 6 remaining Jack. I can send you a few more if you'd like.
G3Day6.2.JPG

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
I was just curious because I haven't popped any yet. I had a few start out like that from a couple of other strains but they pulled out of it. The Ghost Train Haze currently in my flower tent was one of them. It's on the bottom right. I think I have 5 or 6 remaining Jack. I can send you a few more if you'd like.
View attachment 8354
No need to send more. All I needed was that one solid female. I'll be cloning her and creating fem beans. If I'm successful I'll send you some beans with (hopefully) stronger genetics. I'm really interested in X'ing her with Banana Crack and Death by Kush. The DbK (Durban Poison lineage) "X" might create some good THCv %'s.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
...a late edition. I decided to add a 6mil
translucent layer to make it a true greenhouse, not just a dep tent. Also ordered 20 plastic pvc clamps to hold all the layers in place. More than just for the whole hothouse effect, the translucent layer will give structure to support the ratchet straps that will hold the blackout plastic tight. That's another $28. I already own the ratchet straps so I didn't count that in the cost, and the pallet was free at my local hardware store. Using free pallets saved me $100s on my deck build. I always use recovered materials when possible. It's good for our ecosystem and my wallet.