The Junk Yard

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
That would be so awesome. But my area is super Nazi on cannabis, especially outdoor (banned). I hate bugs. I have a bit of whiteflies right now in the garage probably because of the hay field behind me šŸ˜• been using Plant Therapy spray.
Thanks for all the tips. I'm sure they will come in handy one day. Maybe sooner than later. My buddy has some land next to a big running ditch. He's on an old fish farm and he has grand visions of turning it back on and asked me if I knew anything about aquaponics. No, but I can learn šŸ˜‰
A decade ago I was looking into commercial aquaculture/aquaponics. Was early in my gold & silver business and the sky was still the limit. One of my partners was too stubborn to heed my warnings and killed the store just as it was taking off. If we had been successful I was going to retire early with my (ex)wife and move down to Alabama to raise fish. Studied up on farm-raising catfish, shrimp, and crawdads. Was going to raise the catfish and shrimp in super oxygenated fast grow drain ponds. The crayfish tanks would have worked in conjunction with oxygenators and filter water plants to recirculate and feed hydroponic veggie gardens. Had some ideas for some sweet setups. We would have had an almost completely home sourced diet. It would have been awesome.

I read a lot of research from Texas A&M. I don't know if they still give access to published research and educational literature but if they do it's the perfect jump off point. They had a cutting edge agro department. You can also see if MIT allows public access to their agro dept. I know they used to with their mathematics dept.

Make sure that stream isn't county owned before drawing from it and dont block or divert it. Nevada County, Nevada Irrigation District, EPA, DEA, Fed forest rangers, and fire dept. are working together up here to bust environmental threats and water theft by growers. They're striking primarily at growers illegally diverting NID water which is pretty much all snow melt surface sources up here.

Last edited:

spyralout

šŸŒ±šŸŒæšŸŒ²šŸ”„šŸ’Ø
A decade ago I was looking into commercial aquaculture/aquaponics. Was early in my gold & silver business and the sky was still the limit. One of my partners was too stubborn to heed my warnings and killed the store just as it was taking off. If we had been successful I was going to retire early with my (ex)wife and move down to Alabama to raise fish. Studied up on farm-raising catfish, shrimp, and crawdads. Was going to raise the catfish and shrimp in super oxygenated fast grow drain ponds. The crayfish tanks would have worked in conjunction with oxygenators and filter water plants to recirculate and feed hydroponic veggie gardens. Had some ideas for some sweet setups. We would have had an almost completely home sourced diet. It would have been awesome.

I read a lot of research from Texas A&M. I don't know if they still give access to published research and educational literature but if they do it's the perfect jump off point. They had a cutting edge agro department. You can also see if MIT allows public access to their agro dept. I know they used to with their mathematics dept.

Make sure that stream isn't county owned before drawing from it and dont block or divert it. Nevada County, Nevada Irrigation District, EPA, DEA, Fed forest rangers, and fire dept. are working together up here to bust environmental threats and water theft by growers. They're striking primarily at growers illegally diverting NID water which is pretty much all snow melt surface sources up here.
Very interesting. Thanks for the leads. A bit pie in the sky at the moment, but hey that's what I thought before starting down the homegrown path and it has been blossoming into something I never would have imagined. Yea we'll definitely check into the ownership part. There are separate breaker boxes all over for bigass commercial pumps. He filled up all the ponds earlier this year but it all went back into the ground lol.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Very interesting. Thanks for the leads. A bit pie in the sky at the moment, but hey that's what I thought before starting down the homegrown path and it has been blossoming into something I never would have imagined. Yea we'll definitely check into the ownership part. There are separate breaker boxes all over for bigass commercial pumps. He filled up all the ponds earlier this year but it all went back into the ground lol.
The sweet thing about aquaculture is we can build incredibly complex circulation systems with full automation for a fraction of the cost of engineered systems nowadays. Home built aquaponics are 100% scalable and the new tech is efficient enough to be run on one or more small solar generators. If everything works out to keep the property I live on I'll build some crawdad tanks to feed a small garden off my front deck. I think I could even do catfish with a 1k gallon tank. That'd put a serious dent in my grocery costs and I'd have full control of the cleanliness and quality of my fish. I'd be in heaven with a 400-500gal crawdad tank. Ooooh, be doin a crawdad boil and beer-battered cornbread catfish every weekend. I love catfish. No scaling, cleanup takes only a few minutes, and there are a bunch'a ways to cook it. I'll breed the big blue crayfish that are like freshwater lobsters. Yummmm!

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Hahaha, thanks man. I decided to chop the Blue Magoo and Uzi Cookies in about 4-6 days. Gotta let the fertizer flush out a little. Should be right at the peak of harvest. Might wait 6-8 days on the Uzi. Buds are all over the place, some still have live stigma where others have fully senesced. Took some samples a few days ago and it's fire already. Just wanted some of the larf to fill in before I cut but I don't want to lose anymore to water mold.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Uzi Cookies vs Blue Magoo...

I've been smoking Uzi Cookies and Blue Magoo samples the last few days and was starting to think the Blue Magoo was bunk. I was getting a weak high from the Blue Magoo, so I'd burn some Uzi and get lit. I was getting that massive hard hit from the Uzi whether I smoked the Blue or not but when I smoked them together sometimes I was getting the spins after an hour. I decided to give the Blue a try alone this morning and as I suspected, she's a creeper.

The Uzi has been tasty hard hitting fire. Its flavor is a slight oldschool skunk wrapped in pear and the high is energising, stupid, and a full on body bake, almost drunken. Her nuggs are very dense and though she looks larfy before harvesting, there are actually large rock-solid flower formations that have tightened in around the larf.
20191018_102934.jpg

The Blue Magoo I've found to be very potent as well. She is also hard hitting but requires a bit of patience, about 25min, to really feel her effects. The flavor is mild and fruity, not fully berry, more like a berry smoothie with apple and a little milk. She's a true creep. Her high comes on slow then builds and builds to a couchy, marshmallow, derp face.
20191018_102538.jpg

I'll post another test, with bud pics, after the harvest when they've been properly trimmed and cured.

The Blue Magoo was bred by @Srenots (Reno Genetics) and the Uzi Cookies by @JWM2 (The Growing Rack)

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar

I've been smoking Uzi Cookies and Blue Magoo samples the last few days and was starting to think the Blue Magoo was bunk. I was getting a weak high from the Blue Magoo, so I'd burn some Uzi and get lit. I was getting that massive hard hit from the Uzi whether I smoked the Blue or not but when I smoked them together sometimes I was getting the spins after an hour. I decided to give the Blue a try alone this morning and as I suspected, she's a creeper.

The Uzi has been tasty hard hitting fire. Its flavor is a slight oldschool skunk wrapped in pear and the high is energising, stupid, and a full on body bake, almost drunken. Her nuggs are very dense and though she looks larfy before harvesting, there are actually large rock-solid flower formations that have tightened in around the larf.
View attachment 26666

The Blue Magoo I've found to be very potent as well. She is also hard hitting but requires a bit of patience, about 25min, to really feel her effects. The flavor is mild and fruity, not fully berry, more like a berry smoothie with apple and a little milk. She's a true creep. Her high comes on slow then builds and builds to a couchy, marshmallow, derp face.
View attachment 26667

I'll post another test, with bud pics, after the harvest when they've been properly trimmed and cured.

The Blue Magoo was bred by @Srenots (Reno Genetics) and the Uzi Cookies by @JWM2 (The Growing Rack)
Man your brave lol. Getting caught up on your journal here I was thinking ā€œjust chop em early manā€ haha. Its actually intense watching you battle the aphids and the shit rot and all of it. Your buds look next level brother. That blue magoo seems like a fun time.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Man your brave lol. Getting caught up on your journal here I was thinking ā€œjust chop em early manā€ haha. Its actually intense watching you battle the aphids and the shit rot and all of it. Your buds look next level brother. That blue magoo seems like a fun time.
Yup, thinkin I might chop tomorrow after one more flush today. Wanted to get the nutes washed out first but two flushes should do it and these are big plants that spread the nutes thin. The greenhouse guy wants to use the drying shed in a week so I should be done by then and my other girls are several weeks out. The power will be out tomorrow so it'll give me something to do for an hour or two.

The Uzi Cookies look larfy on the plant but they're actually petty dense when trimmed. They've got some heft.
20191023_084658.jpg

JWM2

View attachment 26666

View attachment 26667

Sounds like the AK leaning pheno. Uplifting and leafy. The cookies leaning pheno is my personal favorite but everyone is going to like something different. This hybrid really went a long ways in fixing each otherā€™s weaknesses and helping to produce a next level product that imo stands up well against just about anything. Both parents are cannabis cup winners and have been bred into a lot of what is on the market today. It was a logical choice to toss them together.

Iā€™ve got another breeding project coming up here pretty quickly. Itā€™s a Female Lucky Charms F4 x Male Cookies N Cream F2. Thinking of calling it Kookie Krisp or Kookie Monster. The lucky charms has the cereal terps and the cookies n cream has the classic vanilla cookie terp profile we all enjoy. Same father as what was used in UZi Cookies. I may end up bxing this to lucky charms as I have an inkling that the cookies profile will dominate the hybrid. But weā€™ll see how it goes.

Awesome write up and review bro. Keep up the great work!

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Sounds like the AK leaning pheno. Uplifting and leafy. The cookies leaning pheno is my personal favorite but everyone is going to like something different. This hybrid really went a long ways in fixing each otherā€™s weaknesses and helping to produce a next level product that imo stands up well against just about anything. Both parents are cannabis cup winners and have been bred into a lot of what is on the market today. It was a logical choice to toss them together.

Iā€™ve got another breeding project coming up here pretty quickly. Itā€™s a Female Lucky Charms F4 x Male Cookies N Cream F2. Thinking of calling it Kookie Krisp or Kookie Monster. The lucky charms has the cereal terps and the cookies n cream has the classic vanilla cookie terp profile we all enjoy. Same father as what was used in UZi Cookies. I may end up bxing this to lucky charms as I have an inkling that the cookies profile will dominate the hybrid. But weā€™ll see how it goes.

Awesome write up and review bro. Keep up the great work!
Well, you hit a homerun with it. The taste and potency more than make up for any shortcomings in curb appeal in this pheno. The colas are conical monsters up to 6" wide at the base and the lower offshoot brances had tips 3-4"wide. I've grown some big colas but these are the widest so far. My Banana Crack is in a close 2nd at about 5".

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Grow Log 11/06/19

Sorry, I forgot to get pics of the Blue Magoo and Uzi Cookies the day of the chop but my most recent pics were right before that and they hadn't changed anyway. Was busy that day trying to get my chop into the drying shed before the greenhouse took it all over. (By the way, I finally got the greenhouse reserved for next year and in perpetuity. Yay! Will be putting 6 monsters in it so we can stay within county regs.)

Death by Kush, Jack Herer
20191106_085258~2.jpg20191106_085431.jpg20191106_085327.jpg
Banana Crack
20191031_140227.jpg20191031_140846.jpg
Kashmir99
20191031_124727.jpg
The 2 racks on the right are my Banana Crack and Kashmir99. That's the whole greenhouse on the left, yikes.
20191105_084404.jpg
Had bad water mold problems with the Uzi Cookies and Blue Magoo when trimming. Lost every single large bud to the mold. Was only able to recover (fully dried) 28oz from the Magoo and 22oz from the Uzi. Was down about a lb ea at time of trimming. Not sure how much was lost while still growing. My guess would be about 1/2 lb from the Uzi and maybe a couple zips from the Magoo. It was disappointing and I hope I have no more mold problems with the rest, though it doesnt look like I will. Fingers X'd.

Last edited:

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Was a tough year for water mold brother. Good thing you know what your doing. I lost pretty much 100% of anything that was outside this summer. Hope you don't lose much more. Looks like some killer buds

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Grow Log 11/06/19

Sorry, I forgot to get pics of the Blue Magoo and Uzi Cookies the day of the chop but my most recent pics were right before that and they hadn't changed anyway. Was busy that day trying to get my chop into the drying shed before the greenhouse took it all over. (By the way, I finally got the greenhouse reserved for next year and in perpetuity. Yay! Will be putting 6 monsters in it so we can stay within county regs.)

Death by Kush, Jack Herer
View attachment 28720View attachment 28721View attachment 28722
Banana Crack
View attachment 28723View attachment 28724
Kashmir99
View attachment 28725
The 2 racks on the right are my Banana Crack and Kashmir99. That's the whole greenhouse on the left, yikes.
View attachment 28728
Had bad water mold problems with the Uzi Cookies and Blue Magoo when trimming. Lost every single large bud to the mold. Was only able to recover (fully dried) 28oz from the Magoo and 22oz from the Uzi. Was down about a lb ea at time of trimming. Not sure how much was lost while still growing. My guess would be about 1/2 lb from the Uzi and maybe a couple zips from the Magoo. It was disappointing and I hope I have no more mold problems with the rest, though it doesnt look like I will. Fingers X'd.
Ouch, I'm so sorry to hear that. Lovely plants too! Try spraying with Marrone Regalia. It's not cheap but extremely effective. It got my Bodhi Lucky Charms to finish (indoors).