The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am looking at these 4 fems that need 5g pots and figgerin'...
IMG_0110.JPG
Potted the 2 DeChempose and shifted the MAC1 x Orgi to flower. Room in here for two more if needed but not 4 IMG_0111.JPG
In here there's no room. 8 plants but one is in a 7g so nine won't fit well. But the Mountaintop Mint will be bowing out soon and the three on the right are close behind. I moved the three skunks in here, still a CLHP in both tents.
IMG_0112.JPG
Height-wise the MM is about a foot taller than the rest, but not enough of an issue that I set it on the ground so it can't be that bad. I love my caddy's with wheels
IMG_0113.JPG
The seedlings were stretching under one HLG-65w so I turned on the other. Now it has enough to keep the auto happy while I figure out if I'm flipping the closet.
IMG_0114.JPG
I also tamped down the soil in each and added some dry potting soil to top them off and prop them up. I compressed the roots lightly where needed to get plants to sit up straight. I watered around the outside of each cup so there's no moist soil right against the stem for now.
IMG_0116.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm going to get the four fems up-potted regardless, but I think I want to let them get a little bigger before I flip. I just topped the CBD plant tonight and it needs to stretch, the rest I just know I want a lot of. The Sangria Cookies (lower right) has a large gap between the two sets of tops. It might end up a 6-top with the two tall ones getting topped. I haven't looked to see if it has good limbs there. For the BHP (upper right) the lower limbs are short but have enough stretch that I should be able to pull them towards the middle to raise the height. It'll just be more of a diamond shape than a square.
IMG_0110.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Deep-thinking on the small pot thing since I am vegging a little longer. I have yet to see any issues with plants getting rootbound. No drinking super fast or leaf issues of any kind. I just dumped the 4 pots from the recent harvest. The flowers aren't cured yet and there were only a few long stringy roots and no clumps of fibrous roots that needed to decompose. The only roots were from the cover crop.

I don't intend to push things to see how far I can go since I'm not a teenager, but if the mass of roots can decompose in less than a month it was nowhere near being rootbound. So sticking the CLHP that I vegged for longer and left more plant on could have probably been in a 5g and been fine. The 7g just fucks with the watering rotation compared to a pot just a little smaller.

I cut out the taproot after I harvest or cull. I'll give it a yank first to see if it comes out easy but also to loosen up around the trunk. a paring knife works fine because the taproots are not that long. They do NOT go to the bottom of the pot, and If I was to guess the thick part of the root is about halfway to the bottom. So a tall skinny pot might affect plant size more than soil volume.

Anywho - I think I am sticking to 5g pots until I see a reason not to. The resting and re-amendment period I allow is working fine. Reusing the soil immediately might not get the same results.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Been looking at keeping the clone tent manageable so I am focusing on my fem-beans. The Grandpa's Stash is a flat-out keeper, the clone is doing well. But I have a Yuuuge (comparatively) stash of it, and the clone might be hanging around for months before I want more. And I have 9 beans left in a 10-pack that I will need to run at some point because the next bean might be better.

It hit the cure-date so I am gonna enjoy one of the 4 tops. For a 4-week veg plant I got four upside-down-tall-shotglass-looking flat-top buds that are in the 4g-5g range. Perfect structure, not too much stem weight, and that was just the tops. The rest is quarter-size marbles that are a little flat on the side that was against the stem. Like deformed strawberries. .
IMG_0131.JPG
After I get the Chemdog cloned keeping a keeper will be based on me dropping at least half a pack and choosing one. Or not. The CLHP will hang around for a bit but that was my first mom project. I have more of those to drop as well. Once the tray of CLHP clones from a mother clone get rooted my curiosity is done. When I smoke the CHLP that is just turning I'll know if the variation between beans makes it worth keeping a clone. I know where I can get LOTS of those beans if I run out :)

So either the CLHP is another keeper - in which case I don't need to keep it and can just drop more beans - or it's not as good as the first in which case I don't need to keep it and can just drop more beans. :cool:
🤷‍♂️

I guess that is what I need to figure into a "keeper" as well. I don't want to lose a unicorn, but there really ain't that many unicorns... I have a lot of good weed waiting to be grown.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Extrapolating on that concept, the clone tent is just an "in case" thing instead of a pre-production facility.

I have had excellent success with the flower clones.

They are more mature at the start so they are easier to manage through the rooting process, rarely get wilty or anything.

It takes a while to get roots, then shoots, then back to normal growth - which gives you more time to check the smoke and see if it's "the one".

Also, I don't need male clones.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Last night everything got water, tonight nothing has needs so I fuck around. This is now flipped. I know the Lemon Tree will stretch and the BHP can get those giant spire tops that never end. They actually look bigger in the 5g than they did in the 1g. Since it's flipped and I know it holds 6 plants I'm going back in to find a shorty or two to thin the other tents out. a little.
IMG_0132.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sometimes doing nothing is best. This tent looks fine since the plants are small. The three Momma Moonshine are all droopy so They are gonna get on their own schedule once I figure out if they want more or less water. I think they might be a little too moist. It's been cool again at night so that may play into it.
IMG_0133.JPG
This tent is gonna thin out on its own soon. The Mint is looking harsh up top. First inkling of a "deficiency" I have seen with the leaves up top getting crispy, but I think that's the light. Not worth messing with since it's almost done, no late nanners because of it, and the rest of the tent is much shorter.
IMG_0134.JPG
And the babies are fine. Roots are to the cup-bottoms and they could already be transplanted if needed. I am thinking about jumping up to solo cups or 1g for the fems to give them a little more time before a 5g, but the Piff regs will be going into 1g regardless.
IMG_0141.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looks great vato. That mint is chunky
Thanks! I feed every plant roughly the same. All in the same batch at least. I am trusting to the genetics to get plump or not, get frosty or not, have dankness or not, etc.

I haven't got a set system yet but that might be my next project since I ain't breeding nothing and the clone/mom thing is not thrilling me. From everything I hear you need to use a minimum of a 7-10g pot for living soil. This is since last summer with the same soil in 5g pots, but in a rotation. So there's something to what I randomly stumbled on just using piecemeal info from various sources and some basic gardening intuition.

I take copious notes on here with pictures mainly for me. I don't care if people see me mess stuff up. If we all learn that's cool - I messed up regardless so there might as well be an upside. But if I get super bored I can go back and see what I did at what stage of growth and try to repeat it.

I think all indoor growers end up being amateur scientists. Outside you get one shot and can't fuck with it much without possible grave consequences. Indoor it's like "let's see what we can fuck with this time!" :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@Fiddler's Green fuck I'm high - I can't take a compliment for shit. Thank you. LOL

What I was getting at was the Mountaintop Mint is the first one I have seen issues with. Those top leaves are tater-chip crispy. But I know what the issue is, if it crops up again with a tall plant too close to the light I'll fix it. Of not if it's like this again 😁

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
the Mountaintop Mint from Humbolt Seed Co. was 250g wet. Being a 6-top didn't seem to matter since that's been about the weight of most of my chunky ones - 4-tops are geometrically easier to manage.
IMG_0158.JPG
The pistils remind me of cheetos color.
IMG_0160.JPG
This tent is now fairly uniform. Still have two on highchairs that are on trich-watch with the Loud Lemon. The nuts on the skunk seem done.
IMG_0157.JPG
The MAC1 cross lost more fans since nothing was getting light. I moved the Momma's to the back row and raised that light.
IMG_0174.JPG
And I made use of the extra space but flipping the Rock Island Rocket flower clone. The clone from it is well rooted and I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably remove more limbs or at least the lower stuff off some limbs so it isn't a hot mess.
IMG_0173.JPG
Sorting what I want to do with the clones and I found the Sky Cuddler Kush finally has a clone that's worth flipping since I don't even know it it's a girl. It's still in veg but under stronger light than the clone tent to see if it perks up or goes to shit. If it digs it I flip it, if not I trash it and the other clones. I soaked the seedlings pretty well and they'll get new shoes when they drink it.
IMG_0176.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@High kev - I was listening to Matt Riot and Notsodog on breeders' syndicate doing a talk on hazes. Lots of he said/she said and who did what, but there was a nugget I pinged on. I listen specifically for those things that might be so 'well known' that no one bothers to talk about it anymore and it gets lost in the next generation of growers.

For the best haze clone your seed plants, and keep cloning them until the mom is about 6-7months old, then flower it out. Supposedly that is the natural veg cycle for a tropically grown haze before it will shift to flower on it's own.

Since I have the Piff's going and all your haze crosses after that this may be something I have going in the corner... I dropped the CLHP end of January and just got the second round of clones rooted from the mom being too big. Works out to about 2 months between needing to take cuttings. I do know that her clones are better than her seeds. Might be a thing for lots of plants.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have only grown one haze cross, but it was just after I started and I didn't do it well and harvested way too early because it was dying...

I do remember the haze buzz from back in the day though, and knowing that all that mass produced stuff we eventually got our hands on was from clone it would be a clue as to why the bean you popped didn't quite stack up to the memory. Probably for a lot of strains.

I may play with the Albany Piff for a bit before dropping more hazes. If the clone thing is the goal then dropping more at once and whittling out the males would be a good start. just have one clone area dedicated to maturing the cuts. Not even wasting flower room on them until they get older.

There was also talk about flowering them at 11/13 or 10/14

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Very interesting. love your work
I have the remaining three Mind Crawler auto's from that first pack wet as we speak. Did a lot of clone potting and culling, and I have plenty of 18/6 space for a few small pot autos. Better than them sitting in the fridge. I tossed in a freakshow reg to keep them company.

These will just be under that clone-strength light but so far that environment has been spot on. It's only 100w, and dialed back to 80w and 3-4' off the deck. But it's been doing great cycling the clones through to be re-cloned. If they turn out shit I'll save the rest for the regular veg tent and/or flower tent. I know you are supposed to pound the light at them the whole grow, but I am not interested in yield. Just a decent representation of the smoke.

I don't see keeping more than a small herd of long-term moms, so I should have room to keep running them in that tent if they do well.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Didn't get a pic today but the chipmunks are doomed. I saw likely the same hawk with a kill, being harassed by two crows. After seeing that through the window I went out and saw a 5-6' black rat snake chilling by one of my ancient fallen trees.

I smoked a fatty watching it, it watching me, maybe five feet away. A sat on the log and inched closer and it was chill. barely moved. Didn't want to scare it off so I walked around and came back and it was halfway down a chipmunk hole going under the log.

Took maybe an hour after I quit fucking with it for him to get down the hole. I wonder if their eyes need to adjust. I want more of them and for them to live under and around my house.

I was in flip flops LOL