THE BROADER SPECTRUM 380-760nm Samsung Strips

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have money set back just for when shit breaks, and I ain't even light shopping until it does because I have extra. and there's no telling what will be available technology-wise when it does. The veg-specific light was my only 'want' purchase - like the first of the upgrades now that I have a system.

That gave me two extra HLG 135's to play with. I don't want the extra heat of a second driver in each tent, and would rather have one plug for lights than two. I could get a driver designed for three or four boards - but why buy a new driver for old lights? That's the basic story.

Meatman

Meat Master
I have money set back just for when shit breaks, and I ain't even light shopping until it does because I have extra. and there's no telling what will be available technology-wise when it does. The veg-specific light was my only 'want' purchase - like the first of the upgrades now that I have a system.

That gave me two extra HLG 135's to play with. I don't want the extra heat of a second driver in each tent, and would rather have one plug for lights than two. I could get a driver designed for three or four boards - but why buy a new driver for old lights? That's the basic story.
Can’t you mount your drivers outside of your tent that’s how mine are and the hottest my tents get is like 76 to 80

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Can’t you mount your drivers outside of your tent that’s how mine are and the hottest my tents get is like 76 to 80
That's the plan, but if I am running wires anyway I'd like to ditch one of the drivers. I also think having three independent boards will be cool for at least one tent for the adjustability with different height plants. But all run at the same level off the same driver.

Right now I have the two 135's hanging and the 260 that will need cut spare. so in the big 'bucket-o-crap' I have to work with there are two of these but on different design heatsinks. Short-n-wide and long-n-skinny. I would like each of these drivers mounted outside the tents (one each)
IMG_3590.JPG
running to one of these inside the tent.
1618630669631.png
which would power three boards straight from the driver. no jumpers or parallel/series crap. This would allow me to ditch one of these per tent, rather than having two drivers mounted outside each tent.
IMG_3593.JPG
And 6 identical boards of different ages
Is that electrically safe?

Meatman

Meat Master
Oic what your saying that I don’t know if it’s safe maybe call Ucandewit and talk to him about it I’m definitely no professional lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Basically I would be wiring each board on the 260 exactly like the single power line running to the single board on the 135. Nothing unsafe there at all.

The only question is whether the MeanWell 240 100A will run the three boards instead of two.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But I am not purchasing a ~150A driver so it is what it is. I am mounting two drivers or one - based on what someone on here with lighting/electrical experience says.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I could try the chat thing on HLG's site maybe if no one here is sure, but they'll want to sell me something

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Basically I would be wiring each board on the 260 exactly like the single power line running to the single board on the 135. Nothing unsafe there at all.

The only question is whether the MeanWell 240 100A will run the three boards instead of two.
Sure

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Bandsaw would be best but a metal miter saw would work too. Sawzall would work too but might get frustrating.
I'm not worried about pretty. There's a 3" wide strip between the boards. I don't even have to be that careful 🤪
I was thinking sawzall with a metal blade but or even a jigsaw - I have metal blades for both so it'll probablyv depend on which blades look best LOL. but I have never messed with aluminum. I know it's soft metal so if there was an easier way...

Streetpro09

Tester
I'm not worried about pretty. There's a 3" wide strip between the boards. I don't even have to be that careful 🤪
I was thinking sawzall with a metal blade but or even a jigsaw - I have metal blades for both so it'll probablyv depend on which blades look best LOL. but I have never messed with aluminum. I know it's soft metal so if there was an easier way...
Outta those two i would pick the jigsaw! Will be much more controllable and less violent. The stroke of the jigsaw is way less than a sawzall. 😉

👆

Like score it with a razor and snap it, or something else super simple that I wouldn't normally try.
Yeah i don't think this is laminate flooring or those cheep plastic tiles. Lol. Or sheetrock.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was considering cutting the heatsinks anyway, and having the driver on one light and longer wires going to the second just to better space everything out. Then, i'm adding wires, so why does the driver need to be in there, etc. It progressed.

If I see something that needs done I don't hesitate, but when I have a major project in mind I chew on it for a while. It works out better.

Streetpro09

Tester
If I see something that needs done I don't hesitate, but when I have a major project in mind I chew on it for a while. It works out better.

That's the best way! No sense in hurrying just to be disappointed with the outcome.

If you find a better way to cut them post it here please. I have 4 boards that have to be cut from both ends. So 8 cuts total. I was adding a few strips to an already existing light, little did i know that Peter changed the length of the heatsinks and i already stuck the strips to the heatsinks. 😨

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Outta those two i would pick the jigsaw! Will be much more controllable and less violent. The stroke of the jigsaw is way less than a sawzall.
Buuuuuut, I just double checked and I am cutting across the fins, not between them.

The jigsaw runs pretty much vertical like a band saw. It'll be skipping between fins and breaking blades I think. Sawzall used slowly so it just stays rested on the flat side will be at about a 45 degree angle, hitting several fins at once.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be pretty, just busted in two. Thanks for the help. I can now just look at the wiring on the 135 and copy it for the other boards coming from the wago. Now that the mind is made up I just need the wagos to get here.