Shit I used to do but now dont.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
I used to use the bovita's also. Now i just ring out a wet paper towel until it's as dry as possible and tape it to the lid. Just find it's better at raising the humidity. If it's too humid i'll just cut off some of the paper towel when i check it. Doesn't take long to get it to the right humidity and a far less expensive.
I know this one was older post and didn’t finish thread but a fresh fan leave cut from a plant and placed in will do the same

larf

Yeah, no terp loss here either. Plus I use the same packs for a couple of years at a time. The key is using a lot at once and not mismatching them.

Anything wet will work at raising moisture content. Bovedas just lock them into the perfect %.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
They don't. I've been using Integra Boost packs for years and don't have any issues with loss of terpenes. People that claim that they do usually aren't drying and curing properly.
Well I have about 60 2L jars, a separate controlled 15x15 cure shed with dehuey/ac/humidifier/heater all set up to keep everything exactly within a few points of each other and a separate controlled rack area, so I’ve got that covered and it works perfect for all 4 seasons. Some of them have the same strain from the same crop, some had the packs, some didn’t, they definitely take away taste and smell. I’m not the only one that smokes my stuff that thinks that, the others didn’t even know that it was a different jar. Everyone said something. I went back to my previous system and nobody’s said a word again. Plus it’s free. On a side note there is a motel in Revelstoke, and in the morning before skiing when I roll joints on my night table the front desk lady always freaks out and knocks on my door tells me not to smoke weed in the rooms, I show her that I’m just rolling it and she calms down, she doesn’t complain about the buds that come from jars with the packs, she does the other way without fail for years. This place is a motel too, with radiant heat and not forced air. So that is two instances that the other parties had no idea as to what’s going on or different, but both scenarios speak to a certain outcome. I ditched the packs and used paper towel again. It’s much better and easier and cheaper. Plus I don’t have to toss out crystallized packs, which to me is that same as throwing money out the door and at these #prices one must conserve when they can since a penny saved is a penny earned.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Well I have about 60 2L jars, a separate controlled 15x15 cure shed with dehuey/ac/humidifier/heater all set up to keep everything exactly within a few points of each other and a separate controlled rack area, so I’ve got that covered and it works perfect for all 4 seasons. Some of them have the same strain from the same crop, some had the packs, some didn’t, they definitely take away taste and smell. I’m not the only one that smokes my stuff that thinks that, the others didn’t even know that it was a different jar. Everyone said something. I went back to my previous system and nobody’s said a word again. Plus it’s free. On a side note there is a motel in Revelstoke, and in the morning before skiing when I roll joints on my night table the front desk lady always freaks out and knocks on my door tells me not to smoke weed in the rooms, I show her that I’m just rolling it and she calms down, she doesn’t complain about the buds that come from jars with the packs, she does the other way without fail for years. This place is a motel too, with radiant heat and not forced air. So that is two instances that the other parties had no idea as to what’s going on or different, but both scenarios speak to a certain outcome. I ditched the packs and used paper towel again. It’s much better and easier and cheaper. Plus I don’t have to toss out crystallized packs, which to me is that same as throwing money out the door and at these #prices one must conserve when they can since a penny saved is a penny earned.
If your packs are crystalizing then your jar (and bud) is drying out and that is gong to cause a loss of terpenes. Are you sure you are using a large enough pack for the jars you use? If you've only tried Boveda then I'd recommend trying Integra Boost packs. Most the complaints I've read on line about loss of terpenes were aimed at Boveda. I put two 8 gram Integra Boost packs in a 1 quart jar and they last well over a year in there. The problem with using paper towels and other things like it is they only add humidity and do not deal with the issue if the humidity gets too high.

larf

Well I have about 60 2L jars, a separate controlled 15x15 cure shed with dehuey/ac/humidifier/heater all set up to keep everything exactly within a few points of each other and a separate controlled rack area, so I’ve got that covered and it works perfect for all 4 seasons. Some of them have the same strain from the same crop, some had the packs, some didn’t, they definitely take away taste and smell. I’m not the only one that smokes my stuff that thinks that, the others didn’t even know that it was a different jar. Everyone said something. I went back to my previous system and nobody’s said a word again. Plus it’s free. On a side note there is a motel in Revelstoke, and in the morning before skiing when I roll joints on my night table the front desk lady always freaks out and knocks on my door tells me not to smoke weed in the rooms, I show here that I’m just rolling it and she calms down, she doesn’t complain about the buds that come from jars with the packs, she does the other way without fail for years. This place is a motel too, with radiant heat and not forced air. So that is two instances that the other party had no idea as to what’s going on or different, but both scenarios speak to a certain outcome. I ditched the packs and used paper towel again. It’s much better and easier and cheaper. Plus I don’t have to toss out crystallized packs, which to me is that same as throwing money out the door and at these #prices one must conserve when they can since a penny saved is a penny earned.
Terps evaporate as the bud dries. It's loud when I open up a big bin with the packs, but definitely not as loud as when I open a nug jar without them. I keep the bulk in the big bins and pull out what I need. That's also why I use the 62% packs. I prefer my buds to be around 58 to 60%. Opening and closing a smaller jar frequently causes a lose of humidity.

I gave an oz to my friend to give to his dad, and the friend opened up the ziplock / tupperware container for a minute once he got home. He stopped smoking around a decade ago, but I told him it was pretty so he had to take a look. He lives in the basement apartment, and a little while later both the first floor and the second floor neighbors asked him if he was smoking weed in the house. That smell was from an oz of raw buds being exposed to air for a minute.

m4s73r

The Laziest
I dont really find I need them for long term storage. If my humidity in the buds is stable at 62 and I seal them up then Ill smoke them before they drop under 58%. What I like them for is to have one in my usage jar. I like the Infinity jars from Amazon and have a few of them sitting on my desk. Since i get in and out of those having the 8g pack keeps eveything nice. But for that I prefer the 58s. They do get hard over time. I found that floating them in a small bowl inside a tupperware container would get them back to a liquid state in a few hours.

larf

Adding - It's a volatile compound vs environmental stability situation. This is why we use vacuum chambers and run long, low temp purges when making bho.

larf

I dont really find I need them for long term storage. If my humidity in the buds is stable at 62 and I seal them up then Ill smoke them before they drop under 58%. What I like them for is to have one in my usage jar. I like the Infinity jars from Amazon and have a few of them sitting on my desk. Since i get in and out of those having the 8g pack keeps eveything nice. But for that I prefer the 58s. They do get hard over time. I found that floating them in a small bowl inside a tupperware container would get them back to a liquid state in a few hours.
I do it because it self stabilizes. You can determine when to pull down the buds by the fastest stem to dry, and then let the packs do all of the burping. Then I leave the buds in the bin and everything stays perfect. If you have a perfectly controlled drying room then there would be less of a reason to use them. Still, I haven't found a container that doesn't slowly lose humidity. If I'm trying to keep something for super long term, I'll put it in a bucket with a gamma lid and wrap it up in a garbage bag.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
If your packs are crystalizing then your jar (and bud) is drying out and that is gong to cause a loss of terpenes. Are you sure you are using a large enough pack for the jars you use? If you've only tried Boveda then I'd recommend trying Integra Boost packs. Most the complaints I've read on line about loss of terpenes were aimed at Boveda. I put two 8 gram Integra Boost packs in a 1 quart jar and they last well over a year in there. The problem with using paper towels and other things like it is they only add humidity and do not deal with the issue if the humidity gets too high.
Yes I’ve only used boveda while noticing this. I’ve used the integra before, but I wasn’t paying attention to taste and terps. I hear ya on the issue of it being too high, I use a scale and on bone dry oz from a trader, it takes about .7g of water to bring it back to where I like it, I like my joints to smoke like a fresh pack of smokes like in the old days. I know I’ll get shit on for saying this, but I prefer my buds to be cured, dried then rehydrated to the moisture levels I prefer. Then jarred up and put in the smoking shelves, market nuggs don’t get this treatment obviously, just mine as only some people like the same texture and smoking experience as me.

m4s73r

The Laziest
I do it because it self stabilizes. You can determine when to pull down the buds by the fastest stem to dry, and then let the packs do all of the burping. Then I leave the buds in the bin and everything stays perfect. If you have a perfectly controlled drying room then there would be less of a reason to use them. Still, I haven't found a container that doesn't slowly lose humidity. If I'm trying to keep something for super long term, I'll put it in a bucket with a gamma lid and wrap it up in a garbage bag.
Thats proly why I never needed them. I dry all my plants in a climate/humidity controlled space. Takes like 12-14 days to dry to jar. Agreed on the jars. All of them lose humidity over time. Keeping them cool and in the dark does a lot to help that as well. Wine fridges are great for keeping things around 55°F. Best place to store to prevent terpene loss is the same temp we dry at. 60 or under.
Yes I’ve only used boveda while noticing this. I’ve used the integra before, but I wasn’t paying attention to taste and terps. I hear ya on the issue of it being too high, I use a scale and on bone dry oz from a trader, it takes about .7g of water to bring it back to where I like it, I like my joints to smoke like a fresh pack of smokes like in the old days. I know I’ll get shit on for saying this, but I prefer my buds to be cured, dried then rehydrated to the moisture levels I prefer. Then jarred up and put in the smoking shelves, market nuggs don’t get this treatment obviously, just mine as only some people like the same texture and smoking experience as me.
You're not alone. When I pull my plants and buck/trim them down to jars/totes i want them to settle around 55 or so. Then I use a Hydrostone to bring them up to 60 and rest there. I want to know what when I close a jar its not gonna spike in humidity.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
I have a very nice room that’s almost ready, I’ll try the Integra packs this time, and I’ll go with your recommendation with the dual 8g packs per quart. I’ll have to buy a box or two I’m sure, but I do like to try different things and the preservation of terps and taste is quite high on my list of things that are important to me, if this helps with that I’m all for a change, but I’ll be honest, my favourite strains never get a chance to get out of my parameter preferences.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have a very nice room that’s almost ready, I’ll try the Integra packs this time, and I’ll go with your recommendation with the dual 8g packs per quart. I’ll have to buy a box or two I’m sure, but I do like to try different things and the preservation of terps and taste is quite high on my list of things that are important to me, if this helps with that I’m all for a change, but I’ll be honest, my favourite strains never get a chance to get out of my parameter preferences.
I buy them from Amazon. A 36 pack goes for $25

StickyBallz

Madman loose in Wonderland
Loving this thread!
I used to cover my outdoor come september- sometimes risking my neck quite crazy like pulling down sails in a storm.
Wind whipping a 20x30 sheet of plastic is scary stuff, not to mention made my back yard a very loud place.
I used to try to grow them really really really big too.
Used to use ladder.
Now I realized I'm happier with smaller girls and just more of them.