Schwaggy P's Random Stuff

Another outstanding smoke/grow report. Love the bud grow cycle pics, so cool seeing the transformation. Such a beauty.
Thank you, she's definitely a fun one to grow. She really purples out in the last third of the flower cycle and isn't shy with the frost.
ccs3.jpg
I crossed her with Black Triangle (Triangle Kush x 88G13HP) and recently popped some beans to see how this pairing turned out. So far, they are showing the vigorous growth of the Chocolate Covered Strawberries F2.

I am in the process of harvesting and curing various phenos of Skunky Brewster (Roadkill Skunk 5 x Iraqi) from Strayfox Gardenz. I planned to find a male for a Chem-Skunk project, so hopefully these expressions in the females will translate into the Chem-Skunk project. I'll post up some of the phenos, but the majority of the females did not vary wildly from these expressions.

sb.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB3.jpg

sb8-2.jpg

Skunkybrewster#7-morelowers-day60.jpg

skunkybrewster#8-lowers-day60.jpg

skbfl.jpg

Skunky B's.jpg

Breeding Project Proposal
"Skunky Chems"​

What is the goal of this project?

I am setting out to make a raunchy Chem x Skunk. Ultimately, I would like a plant that has the structure of a skunk (narrower leaf, tighter internodes, rank/rotten/pull your head away smell) with a friendly 8-9.5 week flowering cycle and a Super Skunk type effect (nice hybrid body/head).

Which females will be used and why?
ChemdogsB.jpg
Chem ’91 Skunk VA – She has an amazing structural vigor and openness that really allows for grower friendly and dramatic branching without much effort. The gassy earthy terps and potency may yield a solid knockout effect.

Chem ’91 Joe Brand
– The JB cut is arguably the most vigorous of the bunch, being eager to branch. But unlike the Skunk VA, she has tighter nodal spacing that would lend to the goal of a more traditionally “Skunk” structure, whereas the Skunk VA may lend a more OG-ish quality to the frame.

Chem D
– Two major contributions I hope to get from her are the stank and the sledgehammer effect. Like the JB, she has a tighter structure. Unfortunately, she is not as vigorous as the others and she can be finicky. I’ve found that pH fluctuations into alkalinity zones cause her to throw the leaf variegation.

Which male will be used and why?

Skunky Brewster
(Roadkill Skunk #5 x Iraqi) – Strayfox Gardenz
SkunkyBrewster.jpg
After many weeks of stem rubs, I have settled on the #1 pheno. He was the quickest plant out of the gate shooting up while keeping his proportions (some males can shoot up with scrawny stems and irregular proportions). He was very stout and expressed some visible frost on his stems and leaves.

The ultimate deciding factor in the male selection was the stem rub. I’ve kept the males in veg for several weeks (many weeks beyond showing sex) in order to establish the most offensive odors (all stem rubs were performed on lower/middle/upper parts of the stem every 3-5 days). The rubs ranged from: rotting meat, burnt rubber, garlic, hot garbage, bacterial/fungal infection, red cough drops. The selected male expressed rotting meat and infection odor.

My hope is that he will lay the terp foundation of raunchiness, shore up the spear type skunk buds and structure, and possibly shorten some flower time.

What do you expect to see in the progeny (assumptions holding true) and how will this affect your plan of attack going forward?

I would expect the Chem '91 Skunk VA to lend some longer internodal spacing, vigor, and broader leaves as she has shown an ability to dominate crosses in these areas. I would not be surprised at a flowering cycle that leans more to the 9-10 week range. Overall, I would expect to see a more Afghan Skunk type skunk plant with a more open structure, and flowers that have a fuel soaked rotting quality. If I were to guess, I think this particular cross may work best as an F1 if the phenotypic spread is highly variable. I can see this being a really fun pack of seeds to grow out.

I think my best chance of finding a plant that satisfies this project’s goals will come from either the JB or the D. The structures are already very close to what I’m after and the Chem D terp profile should mesh well with the Skunky Brewster. I think making selections for further breeding will prove somewhat difficult at first, as the leaf/structural expressions will not vary wildly from the male.

In contrast, picking the skunk leaners early would probably be easy to do with the Skunk VA cross.

Ideally, taking the cross to F3 should shore up the phenotypic variation while allowing some wiggle room in the range of expressions. This has the aim of limiting the range within which this wiggling will take place.

I usually would prefer to wait for a completed project to "name" something, but this will make life easier not having to write out the lineage every time I want to reference one of these.
Chem'91(SkunkVA) x Skunky Brewster = Skunky VA
Chem'91(Joe Brand) x Skunky Brewster = Skunky Joe
Chem D x Skunky Brewster = Skunky D

Project: Skunky Chems
Initial Cross
Here is the Chem'91skva just a few days after flip.
chem91momma.jpg
Full tent shot with the Chemdogs getting a head start flowering before the male is introduced.
ChemsforSkunkyB.jpg
The Skunky Brewster male after being topped for a clone just before joining the Chemdogs. The second picture shows his frost.
SkunkyBmale.jpg

SkunkyBfrost.jpg
The Skunky Brewster male hanging out on the floor to the left of the Chemdogs.
SkunkyBintro.jpg
Chem'91JB at day 25
Chem91JB-day25.jpg
Chem'91JB after pollination with a few Skunky Brewster male flowers hanging on.
skunky joe.jpg
Chem D later in the cycle hinting at seed maturity.
chemdxsb1-1.jpg
Freshly shucked Skunky VA seeds
chembrewster.jpg

Project: Skunky Chems
Poppin' n Seein'
After being able to see the Skunky Brewster females, I feel I have a better idea of what the Skunky Brewster will be adding to the cross. Originally, I wanted a more "roadkill" smell to come from the Skunky B's. Some females expressed a sweet skunk, almost candy quality to the nose. Some females did have a rubber/funk to them, so there is still hope that the male can pass on the more offensive terps. Although this may be a bit of a disappointment, the unreal frost coverage seen in the Skunky females seems like an okay trade-off. It just means this project may steer into a slightly different direction.

With this new batch of info regarding the Skunky Brewster nose, I decided to first pop the Skunky VA and Skunky D. Given that there is a chance that the male will contribute sweetness to the Skunky Chems, I figured these two would be most likely to have raunchier progeny. The JB has a great straight up diesel (no sour) smell, but not the more offensive nuances of the other Chems.
Skunky D
chemd x skunkyb.jpg
Here are the Skunky D & Skunky VA seedlings.

Skunky Chem babies.jpg
As they mature, I will be updating with pheno comparisons, notes about their various traits, and any new directions this project takes as a result.

This is my general recipe for pest management top-dress that I use on my vegging soil plants. I mix these ingredients with my soil during transplants, but overtime needs recharging. This top-dress is applied about every 4-6 weeks on long-term soil mother plants. There is much more information about the benefits of each ingredient than provided, so if curiosity strikes, research further.

This is the rough base I use and can have many other amendments added for plant nutrition, but the purpose of this recipe is pest management.
Ingredients:
  • Neem Meal/Cake [pic 1] – left over tree material after the neem oil has been pressed/extracted. It is a great soil amendment with a 6-1-2 NPK and pest mitigating compounds such as Azadirachtin. Neem meal can feed the plants, reduce nitrogen loss in the soil, help your plants assimilate the pest repelling natural compounds into the plant, and provide a slow release pest repelling soil environment.
:!:
Neem meal can acidify the soil, so be aware that your pH may drift downward if used in excess or without any balancing effort.
  • Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) [pic 2] – microscopic sharp crushed minerals that slice up pests. Food grade is better than the DE used for swimming pools as the food grade quality is processed to retain many of the elements naturally found in the diatomite (magnesium, calcium, iron, and trace elements)
DE easily kicks up into a dust while being handled; wear a mask while handling, as the microscopic slicing doesn’t discriminate against your lungs.
  • Mosquito Dunks [pic 3] – These are found in many hardware and big box stores to be used in standing water to kill of mosquito larvae. The active ingredient is a strain of bacteria that eats the larvae of a group of insects that includes fungus gnats.
This can also be mixed in water to more easily inoculate potted plants. A singular dunk can also be used in your hydroponic reservoir as a fungus gnat mitigator.
  • Cinnamon Powder – repels pests, provides rooting hormones, and acts as a fungicide.
The fungicide property can affect soil biota, so be careful if you are purely organic.

MIXING THE TOP-DRESS
Mix the ingredients at a 1part Neem: 1part DE: ¼part Mosquito Dunk: ¼part Cinnamon [pic 4]. I use a grater to get the Mosquito dunks into a powder, but you can also pick/crush it by hand. This mix is not set in stone, so feel free to play around with the ratio.

When mixed, it will appear that the DE has taken over the batch [pic 5].

Spread the dressing around your target plant [pic 6]. The amount can vary based on the age of the soil, pot size, and any existing pest problem. Since this is just maintenance and there is no pest outbreak, a light application is all that is necessary.

I use a spray bottle to moisten the dressing [pic 7]. This is a practice I use with any freshly potted plants to make sure the top layer of the soil is damp enough not to lift and displace if I were to instead just pour large amounts of water. This allows the mix to settle into the soil evenly.

The DE will “wash off” the neem and leave behind a taco-seasoning look to your soil [pic 8]. As you water, you’ll be slowly working this top-dress into the soil feeding and keeping pests away.

I use this along with regular foliar applications of various pest repelling, and plant strengthening sprays that are not harsh chemicals as apart of my IPM regimen.

Breeding Project Proposal
"Solvent Skunk"​

What is the goal of this project?

I would like a sour, sharp, astringent skunk. This would differ from the Chem Skunks in that the desired effect would be more of a sativa skunk, less rotting flesh and more sour solvent smells. This should be the type of smoke that gets your heart pumping with some mild visual alteration. I’m looking for a quick flowering sativa skunk that burns the nostrils and sends the mind into hyperdrive.

Which females will be used and why?
  • Green Crack S1 – I have had this lady for many years and she has outperformed many plants to stay in the library. The Green Crack is the result of Afghani x ’89 SSSC Skunk #1, and my S1 leans very heavily to the Skunk #1. She has very narrow leaves, the stickiest resin I’ve come across, short flower time, very speedy upbeat effect that in large doses can cause slight visual distortion, and has a sharp acetone soaked overripe mango/guava smell. She is really an amazing plant with one fatal flaw, the worst case of wet noodle branches by week 5 that a plant can have. She requires vigilant branch support and can monopolize grower time requiring EVERY branch to be tied. If I can just introduce stronger structure, and add more nose burning sour, it will be mission accomplished.
Here you can see her in wet noodle mode and why she's worth the effort

Which male will be used and why?

Granny Skunk
[Virginia Beach Afghani x (Skelly HP x SSSC Skunk #1)] – Dominion Seed Co.

I had to find a male that also has the SSSC Skunk #1 in his lineage and expresses this skunk dominance. The Granny Skunk male sports narrower leaves relative to his brothers (he also displays a double serration like the GC). His stem rub is a sharp sour, burnt rubber profile. The stem is markedly thicker and sturdier when compared to the Green Crack and my hope is that he can really add strength to an otherwise weak structure while locking down the SSSC Skunk #1 leanings.

Considering my target is the Skunk #1 expression, I plan to cull all but the most narrow leafed phenos early in veg. This will allow me to pop several seeds in search for exceptional skunk dominant specimens without needing to dedicate much space to full grow outs. During research for this project I came across a post about the ’89 SSSC Skunk #1 by ROC in another forum. The very narrow leaves are apparent in this picture and will allow quick separation of the non-skunk phenos in the F1 generation. 80s era SSSC seed catalogue entries can also offer visual clues about the Skunk #1.

After the initial culling, the progeny will be grown to maturity taking careful note of the terp profile, sativa chemotype, structural integrity, and speed of flower. I anticipate a possible backcross to the Green Crack mother if the progeny ventures too far from the GC. With the goal being a more sour, structurally stronger GC, the backcross possibility seems inevitable. Further work will be dictated by the spread of the F1 generation.

In other projects involving the Green Crack, she has been able to faithfully pass along the yield and speed, but her terp profile and potency can be variable. This project will also serve to help benchmark this male to give information about how he influences progeny for further work in future projects.

The (Green Crack S1 x Granny Skunk) seeds have been shucked/dried/fridged and popped.
GC x Grannies.jpg

Here is a full seedling shot including the Chem-Skunks
seedlings.jpg
A couple of weeks ago, I popped some other crosses I made: (H.A. OG x Black Triangle) and (Chocolate Covered Strawberries F2 x Black Triangle)
plantlets.jpg

One of the (H.A. OG x Black Triangle) is a mutant. Looks like it topped itself.
mutant.jpg

Current Breeding Tent#2
Pollen Donor: Cherry Sunshine (Fat Cherry x Sunshine Daydream) Bodhi Seeds​

OGKB - Freshly tied down just before flip
Here she is as of yesterday (day 18 of flower)
ogkbxcs1.jpg

ogkbxcs2.jpg

ogkbxcs3.jpg

My hope is to improve the vigor of the OGKB and add some cherry taste/smell. My understanding is that the OGKB has a higher than average level of CBG. If the nerve pain mitigation trait of the Sunshine Daydream can express alongside this CBG in the progeny, this may prove to be very helpful medical smoke.

This tent also includes the following females for pollination: Gelato #45, Cherry Sunshine (female), and Ecto Cooler.

The Cherry Sunshine male was added to the tent a couple of days ago. He has a sour red candy stem rub and vigorous branching.