Roadkill Skunk-

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just finished running the BSV BOSS pack and 20 of Heisens Stardawg Corey regs.. the Stardawg had more skunk then the BSV BOSS pack all day long. The BOSS pack is an open pollination, all over the map, some mildly stinky stuff in there. No skunk at all. That’s about it, nothing special.

The Stardawg on the other hand had terps from skunk, garlic, cleaner, OG and soap. Beautiful stuff. You could easily find and work a line of skunk from them.
A lot might depend on the right dry and cure of the right strain. I have grown a LOT of different strains over the past few years and I think it's a terp, or specific grouping of terps that gives that true skunk smell. I think getting that collection of terps is largely environmental once you find the right strain, but having the right strain OR environment might get you that right plant that has those right terps.

I only smelled it once, but it was for a whole summer. Bought a quarter bag from the dude, then before we drove away we were getting money together to buy all he would sell us. Later that day we got a QP and split it and sat on that headstash all summer. Great year :cool: either '82 0r '83.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Living in the bay area we used to get a lot of skunk from Santa Cruz and Emerald triangle. The stuff would make your eyes water putting your face in a bag of it. A relative had a squirrelly body builder guy who gorilla growed the trails around town and he had some of the best. Besides genetics I agree skunk gets its terp profile from soils in the native areas of the Pacific Northwest and are hard to replicate indoors or out of these zones. I grown out a few of the SkunkVa and there are hints of it but like H.A.F. said more of the burnt rubber chem terp. The bredby42 Eskimo Cookies I grew outdoors this year definitely was going in that direction however a late season hail storm and PM cut things short. We also got a ton of pretty BC bud back in the day a lot of it seemed lacking potency compared to the locally grown stuff.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Not sure if anyone has any experience with the trinity cut but there are a couple I'm looking at

TrinBubb (Trinity* X BK)(Same trinity cut I shared with CSI and we are still vetting)

trinity* x bubbakush(R)

The trinity cutting from eugene OR is an astringent, piney, ammonia ridden, dank and funky kind of old school cannabis plant. You can expect to find jurassic era indica dominant phenotypes throughout in this cross. There are lots of concentrated older cannabis flavors throughout this one.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Not sure if anyone has any experience with the trinity cut but there are a couple I'm looking at
I got groceries yesterday, and passed three separate kills on the way. one barely smelled, one was fairly rank and one made my eyes water.

On the way back I rolled down the window to try and identify "the smell". Here's what I came up with.

Anyone trying to compare it to anything other than a damn skunk is wrong. It doesn't smell like any of that other stuff. Anyone that has never smelled a skunk (like some dutch breeder...) that says they found it has no way to know.

Dominion just had a drop/restock - probably Duke clearing out some stock the get back on his feet - and I got the Polecat '91 and the Dominion G. March run I'll be dropping a few each of those two, the Bluperskunk from Ethos, the Skunk XXX from TH Seeds, and the Dechempose from Covert along with another Chemdog to see if I can stink up the neighborhood.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
just bumped into one of my old grow buddies from 70-80s that I have not seen in ages we ran the RKS together appears he has a better memory then I he said the RKS cuts we got were from Colorado and not Canada like I thought it actually makes more sense I also got him digging around to see if he still has a jar of seeds! I am excited that would be awesome...

indo00420

indo Lion
RKS, what a topic, fair to say the most sought after, the elusive unicorn, the lost ark. This was everywhere in CA, Hells Angels had it on lock, plus alot of small dudes were getting popped due to the smell, it slowly vanished!

@indo00420 Would love to know how they are coming along, I have followed quite close the whole mess that is Blue Skies Vienna, would be interested to hear or see anything your willing to share, blessings!
The BSV skunk was average.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I just finished running the BSV BOSS pack and 20 of Heisens Stardawg Corey regs.. the Stardawg had more skunk then the BSV BOSS pack all day long. The BOSS pack is an open pollination, all over the map, some mildly stinky stuff in there. No skunk at all. That’s about it, nothing special.

The Stardawg on the other hand had terps from skunk, garlic, cleaner, OG and soap. Beautiful stuff. You could easily find and work a line of skunk from them.
Corey regs lol

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
I got groceries yesterday, and passed three separate kills on the way. one barely smelled, one was fairly rank and one made my eyes water.

On the way back I rolled down the window to try and identify "the smell". Here's what I came up with.

Anyone trying to compare it to anything other than a damn skunk is wrong. It doesn't smell like any of that other stuff. Anyone that has never smelled a skunk (like some dutch breeder...) that says they found it has no way to know.

Dominion just had a drop/restock - probably Duke clearing out some stock the get back on his feet - and I got the Polecat '91 and the Dominion G. March run I'll be dropping a few each of those two, the Bluperskunk from Ethos, the Skunk XXX from TH Seeds, and the Dechempose from Covert along with another Chemdog to see if I can stink up the neighborhood.
dibbs on seeds from any of those crosses! the more pepi le peew the better.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A dead skunk does not smell like rotting flesh unless it's been there long enough for the skunk smell to go away. It smells like musk. Anyone living on landmasses that do not have skunks indigenous to them, any similar animal that has a scent gland would be closer than anything. Muskrat, ferrets, badgers, wolverines, marmot etc. The skunk just has the most acrid one.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
A dead skunk does not smell like rotting flesh unless it's been there long enough for the skunk smell to go away. It smells like musk. Anyone living on landmasses that do not have skunks indigenous to them, any similar animal that has a scent gland would be closer than anything. Muskrat, ferrets, badgers, wolverines, marmot etc. The skunk just has the most acrid one.
I've never smelled the strain rks but I've have my back yard skunk attacked by a fox, my whole house rank of Skunk for a few days, I just figure that sulfuric smell +rotting meat would be where I'm looking.

I've heard that Gypsum and sulfured molasses helps the plants produce greater thiol content, due to the sulphuric nature of these odors, that's what I'm looking at, which plants are innately funky vs which respond to diet with modified odors.

Here's some info on thiols and sulfides

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've never smelled the strain rks
I don't think there ever was one. Here's what I have deduced.

We know what a skunk smells like.
Back in the day there was weed that had that smell - before seedbanks or anything named 'skunk'.
There was already weed in several spots that smelled like skunk
Skunkman Sam took his skunk genetics to Holland.
He bred away from the stinky because of prohibition.
In the helicopter days that smell was a dead giveaway for at least a fly-by so people got away from slinging it.
That means most didn't keep clones/moms going except for the few true heads that loved the smoke.
Then the war on drug reigns in a bit and all that's left is seeds from Holland named "Skunk" that the dude already said he bred away from the stinky towards the floral/citrus. Superskunk and all that.

I think that when people started trying to describe what the old weed smelled like they used the term "roadkill" to distinguish it from the crap from Amsterdam named "Skunk". I'll bet there have been a lot of drops in the past five years or so named "roadkill" with some bullshit lineage story about it being in someone's freezer since before before...

Non-stoner answer:
When we had the weed that smelled like that none of it had names. Maybe the color or where it came from, (colombian gold, panama red...) and sometimes the smell. But there was no reliable source to continue getting skunk as a commodity.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Neville started the Holland Seedbank and sent out catalogs in 1984 - for reference.
Identifying the seeds by strain name and there being a variety started at that point unless you were in a commune in Oregon or something.

I graduated high school in 1984... we smoked skunk before the catalog came out and there was a strain named "skunk".

Prior to that the same plants grown by the same dude might be "skunk" one harvest then "pine tree" the next because it was cured differently.