Reversing males

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Why would you reverse a male though? I’d assume you can’t smoke the flowers and it would still have some pollen...right?
Selection is everything when you wanna reproduce. Anybody that has been growing for a minute can pick a winning female, but male selection is not quite as easy and we have to depend on just a few methods that dont always pan out( stem rubs, structure, minute resin production, etc..) but if we can see female expression it will help with selection. Also we may discover something that hasnt been discovered yet. If it wasnt for curious experimentation we would not have autoflowers or feminized seed or the vast knowledge of cannabis we have right now. I find it very interesting and I'm glad these guys are investigating this rabbit hole.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
Selection is everything when you wanna reproduce. Anybody that has been growing for a minute can pick a winning female, but male selection is not quite as easy and we have to depend on just a few methods that dont always pan out( stem rubs, structure, minute resin production, etc..) but if we can see female expression it will help with selection. Also we may discover something that hasnt been discovered yet. If it wasnt for curious experimentation we would not have autoflowers or feminized seed or the vast knowledge of cannabis we have right now. I find it very interesting and I'm glad these guys are investigating this rabbit hole.
Ruderalis is a naturally occurring trait we’ve bred into other strains. I’d say that is pretty standard selection. But forcing a plant to swap genders is a hugely stressful endeavor, that forces a lot of chemical/genotypical(expression of genes) changes in a plant as far as I know. Fems make sense when you don’t have space or time to find and flower out females/males individually or to reproduce clone onlies that you’d otherwise be unable, but forcing either gendered plant to swap to reproduce undeniably adds instability and changes your plant on a hormonal/chemical level. And I don’t think that’s on your side as far as selection and the rest of what you’re talking about.

ime all the same traits you can find in a female pass on the same way in males, it’s just knowomg what to look for, and even then it’s a little bit of a crap shoot because both male and femaleplants are only showing you one expression of their genetic makeup, to prove this point think about s1s where you pollinate a plant with itself....

I have popped over 200 Tahoe og s1s among other ogs, and it take 30-50 to find a single one that actually looks like mom. There are very obviously recessive and co dominant traits that are expressed in the clone version that really don’t come out very often at all, even when you have 100% of the female genes you want to breed with.(cut reversed to itself).

so I think I understand your idea, but unless anyone has tried it and been successful, I would argue that unless necessary, breeding with reversed plants shouldnt really be all that great for stability/uniformity, etc.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Ruderalis is a naturally occurring trait we’ve bred into other strains. I’d say that is pretty standard selection. But forcing a plant to swap genders is a hugely stressful endeavor, that forces a lot of chemical/genotypical(expression of genes) changes in a plant as far as I know. Fems make sense when you don’t have space or time to find and flower out females/males individually or to reproduce clone onlies that you’d otherwise be unable, but forcing either gendered plant to swap to reproduce undeniably adds instability and changes your plant on a hormonal/chemical level. And I don’t think that’s on your side as far as selection and the rest of what you’re talking about.

ime all the same traits you can find in a female pass on the same way in males, it’s just knowomg what to look for, and even then it’s a little bit of a crap shoot because both male and femaleplants are only showing you one expression of their genetic makeup, to prove this point think about s1s where you pollinate a plant with itself....

I have popped over 200 Tahoe og s1s among other ogs, and it take 30-50 to find a single one that actually looks like mom. There are very obviously recessive and co dominant traits that are expressed in the clone version that really don’t come out very often at all, even when you have 100% of the female genes you want to breed with.(cut reversed to itself).

so I think I understand your idea, but unless anyone has tried it and been successful, I would argue that unless necessary, breeding with reversed plants shouldnt really be all that great for stability/uniformity, etc.
Im talking about taking a selection of male plants, taking a clone off each and reversing each one to see its female expression, bud formation and trich count. Then discarding each reversed plant . No breeding with the actual reversed plants. Then use the male that coordinates with the best female expression. No stability/uniformity issues because the original males have been untouched in that regard.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
Im talking about taking a selection of male plants, taking a clone off each and reversing each one to see its female expression, bud formation and trich count. Then discarding each reversed plant . No breeding with the actual reversed plants. Then use the male that coordinates with the best female expression. No stability/uniformity issues because the original males have been untouched in that regard.
That’s is a super interesting idea. Cheers

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
I just read a thread over on another forum referencing the icmag thread. The guy used 20ml/Gal of Florel and successfully reversed a male and made S1's to boot
That's a good starting point, there's not a ton of info out there on this.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Boom there it is

SCJedi

Synergist
Just a note about ethephon for those curious about its effects on ethylene. If you spray Florel on a plant that is known to hermie this prevents that from happening. I am unsure of dosage and frequency of spraying but I would begin with the 20ml/L and spray a week or two before flip at a minimum. You might want to add two more one and two weeks after flip as well.
That's a good starting point, there's not a ton of info out there on this.
There is a typo. It is supposed to be 20ml/L H2O

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Just a note about ethephon for those curious about its effects on ethylene. If you spray Florel on a plant that is known to hermie this prevents that from happening. I am unsure of dosage and frequency of spraying but I would begin with the 20ml/L and spray a week or two before flip at a minimum. You might want to add two more one and two weeks after flip as well.

There is a typo. It is supposed to be 20ml/L H2O
Ya I assumed so, lol..... I still haven't got around to this project, and it's probably going to be a while yet. But I'm down to watch you guys use your plants as guinea pigs..... Whoever is going to be doing this should be sure to do updates in this thread. It would be cool to see a bit of info compiled in one place.

Last edited:

SCJedi

Synergist
Ya I assumed so, lol..... I still haven't got around to this project, and it's probably going to be a while yet. But I'm down to watch you guys use your plants as guinea pigs..... Whoever is going to be doing this should be sure to do updates in this thread. It would be cool to see a bit of info compiled in one place.
If you've been verified at bean basement there is a completed thread there where someone went all the way

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
thread is back with some potential candidates....

#1 chuy sis. Officially chuy x [lambsbread X sour d] freebies from @DCSeedExchange a couple of years ago.
Got an unusual twin tale, both females, plus one male and maybe 2 other females out of 5 seeds. Both twins were seeded by a single male

Offspring of one of the twins chuy sis july13th.jpg
chuy dec2017.jpg

#2 Also have this bagseed deadhead og
deadhead og.jpg

and these deep chunk #3 and #4
monkeyballz2.jpg monkeyballz1.jpg

All the females are soapy tasting, perfumery somtimes leaning towards a gas character but never outright, and potent....cloned some and waiting for sex.....wish me luck anything male is getting sprayed....

thread is back with some potential candidates....

#1 chuy sis. Officially chuy x [lambsbread X sour d] freebies from @DCSeedExchange a couple of years ago.
Got an unusual twin tale, both females, plus one male and maybe 2 other females out of 5 seeds. Both twins were seeded by a single male

Offspring of one of the twins View attachment 64431
View attachment 64430

#2 Also have this bagseed deadhead og
View attachment 64432

and these deep chunk #3 and #4
View attachment 64433 View attachment 64434

All the females are soapy tasting, perfumery somtimes leaning towards a gas character but never outright, and potent....cloned some and waiting for sex.....wish me luck anything male is getting sprayed....

Hope you were successful with these!
Got cross threaded over here because I was wondering if it would be possible to Herm my male to get some fem seeds hopefully. After reading through, this doesn't seem to be the case, but I'm still definitely interested!

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Hope you were successful with these!
Got cross threaded over here because I was wondering if it would be possible to Herm my male to get some fem seeds hopefully. After reading through, this doesn't seem to be the case, but I'm still definitely interested!
Unfortunately, I was evacuated from my home for about 10 days due to forest fire. I saved my females and just left my males to flower.....:(

I was able to hit a single Pinkleberry male and @ 1000ppm 20mL/1000mL ethephon but only one spray series. Two might have fully reversed it. One was not enough but little plant burn....surprisingly.

Working on more...CookieCrunch males [do-si-do x strdwg]. @125 ppm, 250 ppm and 500ppm. 1000 was just experimental.
Also have Strawpicanna 5pk....itching to pop!

Unfortunately, I was evacuated from my home for about 10 days due to forest fire. I saved my females and just left my males to flower.....:(

I was able to hit a single Pinkleberry male and @ 1000ppm 20mL/1000mL ethephon but only one spray series. Two might have fully reversed it. One was not enough but little plant burn....surprisingly.

Working on more...CookieCrunch males [do-si-do x strdwg]. @125 ppm, 250 ppm and 500ppm. 1000 was just experimental.
Also have Strawpicanna 5pk....itching to pop!
Holy cow, sorry to hear that!
Glad you're safe able to continue testing.