Power Company Issue

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
New information has changed things a bit. Spoke with my wife and power company changed meter on building 2 months ago. WTF! Not taking any chances, I've got way too much to lose.
Everything is gone except the Wedding Pie. Going to roll the dice for 3 weeks on that one.
Probably over reacting but will lose too much if anything goes south. A 6 month setback and loss of a few seeds that I have multiple packs of is better than the potential alternative. One plant,.... I can deal with that.
Maybe I'll go hydro and grow veggies for 6 months.
May also be time to really ramp up the seed collecting. Need to feel proactive somehow.
I know Im an old pussy but again, just way too much to lose.
View attachment 31047
Shit.. I didn’t see this in time to stop you... this happened to me when I was home. Dude thought I wasn’t so he didn’t knock or anything. Just power cut off then back on again. Same issue with exhaust. I pinned on out to his truck before he left and was like umm wtf.. and he’s like “no worries buddy, just putting in a new meter cause yours was broke. Was a cool guy.. I was like “Any issues” he was like “none at all” and gave me a wink. Those dudes see that shit steady I’m pretty sure.
Now what’s he going to do.. use his time to call the cops and be like “hey cops, since you give such a f@ck, go get a warrant for this one bloke who MAY be growing a few plants! I have no actual evidence but do it up. Thanks”
I get it tho.. that fear is a bitch.. I was going to try n talk you down tho. Oh well
-edit-
Wait.. they changed it two months ago and now they have changed it again? Or it just happened two months ago and you didn’t know yet?

GCG

Dinosaur
Shit.. I didn’t see this in time to stop you... this happened to me when I was home. Dude thought I wasn’t so he didn’t knock or anything. Just power cut off then back on again. Same issue with exhaust. I pinned on out to his truck before he left and was like umm wtf.. and he’s like “no worries buddy, just putting in a new meter cause yours was broke. Was a cool guy.. I was like “Any issues” he was like “none at all” and gave me a wink. Those dudes see that shit steady I’m pretty sure.
Now what’s he going to do.. use his time to call the cops and be like “hey cops, since you give such a f@ck, go get a warrant for this one bloke who MAY be growing a few plants! I have no actual evidence but do it up. Thanks”
I get it tho.. that fear is a bitch.. I was going to try n talk you down tho. Oh well
-edit-
Wait.. they changed it two months ago and now they have changed it again? Or it just happened two months ago and you didn’t know yet?
Changed it twice in 2 months whuch is why it freaked me out. 2 buildings on site, didnt change both meters just the one for my outbuilding.
May not be an issue but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

GCG

Dinosaur
If, by chance, that power worker was in cahoots with law enforcement, fuck em now. Nothing here anymore but state approved medical cannabis.
And just for shits and giggles, I'm keeping the lights on. Got Iceburg and Romaine lettuce, 3 different sweet peppers and 2 different tomatoes. Not the GMO's I wanted by will have to do for now.
1121191057.jpg
1121191055.jpg
Now how do I grow this shit?!

Vee

Ancient Member
With these 'smart' meters they can see all...the times you switch on any electrical item esp: Hids

I'm always ready with a retort that I often have a band pratice in the barn or heavy metal shop

should they ask about the high wattage

a buddy bought an old pottery kiln for the same reason ..lol

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
With these 'smart' meters they can see all...the times you switch on any electrical item esp: Hids

I'm always ready with a retort that I often have a band pratice in the barn or heavy metal shop

should they ask about the high wattage

a buddy bought an old pottery kiln for the same reason ..lol
I always herd welding was a good excuse for excessive power. @vostok just off the top of your head what would be a monthly bill that would start to raise any eyebrows in your opinion or anyone else that would like to comment on this.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
If, by chance, that power worker was in cahoots with law enforcement, fuck em now. Nothing here anymore but state approved medical cannabis.
And just for shits and giggles, I'm keeping the lights on. Got Iceburg and Romaine lettuce, 3 different sweet peppers and 2 different tomatoes. Not the GMO's I wanted by will have to do for now.
View attachment 31311
View attachment 31312
For what it's worth i think i would have made the same decision you did. At least you will be able to sleep well at night. I am in a state that has medical . It's not so much the legality of it and more to do with you are fucking with the states tax dollars and they are NOT going to take kindly to that.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
View attachment 31311
View attachment 31312
Well fuck, they better come looking after all that. Maybe you should call 911 and say you are the meter guy and smelled weed at your house.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think that all of the above electric thingy's they can identify is all probably true. A few notes.

The electric company is not law enforcement - they don't care as an industry. Use more power! They make more money!

Law enforcement does not have an "electric company" detachment checking meter readings for fluctuations.

If in the course of their police-ly duties you came up on their radar as someone possibly trafficking product, dealing out of your basement, etc. they still couldn't enter your house on those suspicions. It would be at that point that they could use the electric bill and other circumstantial evidence to try and get the warrant to actually enter your house.

Oh, and they would actually need the first warrant for the records search.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The legal commercial grower probably has more to worry about, since they are already on the radar, and have legal hoops they have to jump through, and licensing, etc.

Reactions: GCG

GCG

Dinosaur
Probably a total overreaction but I've managed to play with these plants off and on for nearly 30 years without issue. Promised my wife if I ever had a bad feeling I wouldn't ignore it. Had an uneasy feeling with them swtiching just that meter twice so quickly. That's enough for me. Six month hiatus. I'll grow food for my pig and watch all you guys with envy.
Oh and collect seeds. Like have to will to my children amounts of seeds.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What's funny is that if the guy was installing a second meter, the whole time he was probably worried about his job for effing it up the first install LOL

D

Deleted member 60

Yer a smart man if you made that promise to the wife. Yup.

My wife worked for a utility here in CO for decades. Eve n when it was totally illegal they had a policy that they weren't the cops....they were the Water Co. Their policy....IF a grow was seen...you look the other way/make no comment ...unless it's in front of the area where you needed to work and then you merely say "We need you to reschedule your appt. and provide safe/clear access to your meter". End of story.

However...years ago there was a huge bust very close to my.....gulp...house where I too was growing a bit... The guy =was renting a mobile home...had all the windows plastic'd over....and there was water dripping down every pane. On that occasion...it was the Electric Co that tipped the cops....

so ya never know...that's why you play it like you did. You still have that beauty and I'd ride it out....IF they come....get the best lawyer you can and watch them weep....cus public sentiment will be on your side. That's how shit changed here. The public told the cops to stop wasting their $$$ on pot busts/patients/etc. and go after the real bad guys cooking shit and all that.

Sucks your laws suck. Those laws are tax schemes...not medical marijuana laws.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
While you're "clean" you should get up in front of that city council or whoever and get the thing rectified. Why would you deny a person the right to grow their own "approved" medicine, but make them buy it from a dispensary? It's illogical.
bout like the seed to sale thingie. Just don't get it and the medical states try at first to be sticklers about it, but how in the world could you keep track?

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Tanning beds [plural], and a gf the lets her friends use them.

When I owned a tanning salon, I had several custies that were referred by doctors for 'light therapy' - anti depression, skin conditions, etc.
tanning beds, welders, big aquariums, potters ceramic wheel, glass blowing, etc. All good excuses Ive seen used or heard

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
tanning beds, welders, big aquariums, potters ceramic wheel, glass blowing, etc. All good excuses Ive seen used or heard
But you aren't going to run a tanning bed or a welding rig 12-18 hours a day - EVERY day. a 100w surge at a specific time daily then a specific drop 12 hours later, does more to prove a grow set-up than does monthly increase in usage.

Reactions: GCG

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
yea, I don't have the worry, just what I heard people say. If they want ya, they gonna get ya. 9 times out of 10, its never from elec use first, its from someone's mouth, lol. Or the UPS guy, lol