Platinum Lemon Cherry Gelato Contest Shit Talk & Banter

Lurch

Super Active Member
Oh if the Ganja God's allowed.
Rusty in the land of hemp ropes for boats, the godless and your nicked, we ain't got the luxury.
However one endeavours regardless.
Maples are fickle, they don't like full light. That purple Maple pic was O sensei Gangsta, Osu.
So no flush. Is that best.
Or only organics?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So no flush. Is that best.
Or only organics?
The basic plant science fact is that plants don't "flush out" nutrients. They are absorbed so they can become part of the plant.

A plant gives off oxygen, water vapor, and root exudates. No minerals leave the plant.

If you stop feeding a plant it will start to die. :unsure: :rolleyes:

If the plant has to get nutrients for it's reproductive organs (flowers) by scavaging the leaves, the flower you smoke is still gonna have those nutes!

According to fire science, white-ash/black-ash is all about moisture, so in our world that's the dry/cure. White ash is completely consumed fuel. The blacker it is the more un-burned vegetable matter there is - charcoal is the extreme "black ash" version. In smokables the moisture content, and it's consistency throughout the sample is what makes the white/black ash thingy.

As far as organic or not, I think there are some organic-ish powders available now that the apartment dweller could feed on a sack of coco and do fine. The difference is that both require opposable thumb people to mix stuff, and feed the right amount at the right time, for each strain, etc. is like being a cook following a recipe or a chemist brewing a pH'd mineral cocktail. The plant is gonna eat whatever you put in the IV, and if you miss something there's a bunch of full-color charts for that ;)

I don't look at living soil as being in the bottle vs organic argument. Both of those people still wave their pH pens about with an air of superiority :LOL:
It's more just making sure before the grow starts that there's enough in there for the plant to eat. When I water it's is things for the soil, not the plant.

Because the soil is "living" and the microbes are actively feeding the plant, they are the workhorse. The roots actually strip each microbe of the calcium they went out and got last trip, then they recode the DNA for the next trip to go get the magnesium or the nitrogen. This re-coding is likely why and how the pH thing works on it's own, since we know that certain minerals are absorbed better at certain pH's. The re-coding likely requires a box to be checked making sure the microbe has the proper pH to perform it's assigned task. The microbe "chellates" the mineral and makes it plant available.

My plants never starve, but I never tell them what to eat. They have the buffet and most eat responsibly LOL

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
The basic plant science fact is that plants don't "flush out" nutrients. They are absorbed so they can become part of the plant.

A plant gives off oxygen, water vapor, and root exudates. No minerals leave the plant.

If the plant has to get nutrients for it's reproductive organs (flowers) by scavaging the leaves, the flower you smoke is still gonna have those nutes!

According to fire science, white-ash/black-ash is all about moisture, so in our world that's the dry/cure. White ash is completely consumed fuel. The blacker it is the more un-burned vegetable matter there is - charcoal is the extreme "black ash" version. In smokables the moisture content, and it's consistency throughout the sample is what makes the white/black ash thingy.

As far as organic or not, I think there are some organic-ish powders available now that the apartment dweller could feed on a sack of coco and do fine. The difference is that both require opposable thumb people to mix stuff, and feed the right amount at the right time, for each strain, etc. is like being a cook following a recipe or a chemist brewing a pH'd mineral cocktail. The plant is gonna eat whatever you put in the IV, and if you miss something there's a bunch of full-color charts for that ;)

I don't look at living soil as being in the bottle vs organic argument. Both of those people still wave their pH pens about with an air of superiority :LOL:
It's more just making sure before the grow starts that there's enough in there for the plant to eat. When I water it's is things for the soil, not the plant.

Because the soil is "living" and the microbes are actively feeding the plant, they are the workhorse. The roots actually strip each microbe of the calcium they went out and got last trip, then they recode the DNA for the next trip to go get the magnesium or the nitrogen. This re-coding is likely why and how the pH thing works on it's own, since we know that certain minerals are absorbed better at certain pH's. The re-coding likely requires a box to be checked making sure the microbe has the proper pH to perform it's assigned task. The microbe "chellates" the mineral and makes it plant available.

My plants never starve, but I never tell them what to eat. They have the buffet and most eat responsibly LOL
We're always gonna have varying opinions on this lol

Weedkiller

Nothing but top shelf
I tried flushing just to form my own opinion I ended up with lots of dead leaves. Not sure it helped much but I grow in coco with bottle nutes

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
We're always gonna have varying opinions on this lol
Well, I did no flushing and I think you would agree that my purple-black plants got some fade, and still with shiny healthy leaves.

They finished at 10 weeks taking away the early chop and the one I'll push until she's done-done.

If I started "flushing" at week 7 thinking it's an 8-9 week strain, it probably would have been an 8-9 week strain - ambers and all.

Streetpro09

Tester
Well, I did no flushing and I think you would agree that my purple-black plants got some fade, and still with shiny healthy leaves.

They finished at 10 weeks taking away the early chop and the one I'll push until she's done-done.

If I started "flushing" at week 7 thinking it's an 8-9 week strain, it probably would have been an 8-9 week strain - ambers and all.

I'm not sure it works EXACTLY as you say but outdoor plants don't get "flushed". That's where this all originated from, right?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm not sure it works EXACTLY as you say but outdoor plants don't get "flushed". That's where this all originated from, right?
I think it's the assumption that a "properly flushed" plant will have a white ash in a joint. I say both are a bro-sci myth.

Outdoor and living soil indoor are proof that flushing does not get you a better finished product.

If you are in a production scenario you save on nutes for a week, you have plants finishing earlier, and you wash any residual stuff from the medium so it can be reused on the next round. It makes monetary sense - and dispos traditionally sell weed grown with this method because it scales up.

Streetpro09

Tester
I think it's the assumption that a "properly flushed" plant will have a white ash in a joint. I say both are a bro-sci myth.

Outdoor and living soil indoor are proof that flushing does not get you a better finished product.

If you are in a production scenario you save on nutes for a week, you have plants finishing earlier, and you wash any residual stuff from the medium so it can be reused on the next round. It makes monetary sense - and dispos traditionally sell weed grown with this method because it scales up.

From a production standpoint it makes sense. Now we both know production doesn't = quality.

I'll tell ya with my grows i might lower ppm by half the last 3-4 days. It just doesn't make sense to me to starve the plant while it's trying its hardest to finish.

Then on the other hand, with doing hydro, i can pretty much watch what the plants eat each week of flower. After week 3-4 depending on strain, they need less ppms and are kinda on cruise control. It's almost like the plant uptakes enough to survive a week at a time.

Id almost bet that after that time, 3-4 weeks, and not defoliated i could drop ppm to almost nothing and they would still finish decently? Idk. If only someone would pay me to find out. Lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@Streetpro09 I can't help but speak up when people spout disinformation about living soil, but I'm not a preacher, and I don't care if people grow in bottles of miracle gro. I just don't believe that by any metric other than weight the bottle plants will be better. If you can scale it up then living soil dispo weed would command a top shelf price.

With the bottom falling out of the economy I think more growers are looking to things like living soil just because it's cheap. I feed my plants with stuff I have grown or collected and fermented, or leftovers my worms have taken care of. I buy things like a sack of barley, then only sprout 2tbsp at a time maybe twice per grow for a tea. I have homemade water soluble calcium that is just rice vinegar and eggshells. It can be done on a shoestring.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
@Streetpro09 I can't help but speak up when people spout disinformation about living soil, but I'm not a preacher, and I don't care if people grow in bottles of miracle gro. I just don't believe that by any metric other than weight the bottle plants will be better. If you can scale it up then living soil dispo weed would command a top shelf price.

With the bottom falling out of the economy I think more growers are looking to things like living soil just because it's cheap. I feed my plants with stuff I have grown or collected and fermented, or leftovers my worms have taken care of. I buy things like a sack of barley, then only sprout 2tbsp at a time maybe twice per grow for a tea. I have homemade water soluble calcium that is just rice vinegar and eggshells. It can be done on a shoestring.
You get plants like this in 2 gallon with living soil? 20240218_194225.jpg

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

this i watch closely tryin to learn more!