Plants stalling when introducing them to the RDWC

inthetrees

I'm reading how sodium hypochlorite degrades in storage...Light, temp, etc. all effect it. Even when I looked into larger supplies online they say to purchase smaller amounts due to this...

Where do you buy yours from and have you ever noticed an issue? Hard to tell without a meter i guess.. Anywho, I found 5 gallons of 12.5% for $30 at a local hardware store. I can't believe how much money I'm going to save going this route. Thanks allot for the info.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I'm reading how sodium hypochlorite degrades in storage...Light, temp, etc. all effect it. Even when I looked into larger supplies online they say to purchase smaller amounts due to this...

Where do you buy yours from and have you ever noticed an issue? Hard to tell without a meter i guess.. Anywho, I found 5 gallons of 12.5% for $30 at a local hardware store. I can't believe how much money I'm going to save going this route. Thanks allot for the info.
Lab Chemicals supply,
LabChem LC246301 Sodium Hypochlorite Solution, 5% W/V, 500 mL Volume
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKWNJEU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_lVgsFbV4E6WM0

MediGrow

Way cheaper
that is not real hypochlorus acid but more a chlorine solution.
@inthetrees if you need help making real uc roots, let me know ;)

hypochlorus acid made using sodium hypochlorite (pool shock) is in form on hypo for 4-6 hours before going back to chlorine solution.

There's an easy way, like ecolox (250$ us~) to brew your own uc roots @ home. Or you can use a power supply to drive electricity (using an anode and cathode) through a water solution with kasher salt and vinegar and a membrane to separate the ions in the process (that's what makes real hypochlorus acid instead of chlorine solution)

By the way, Uc roots looses its % at a rate of 1-3% each day, let's say you bought one 5 gallons, that has been on the shelves for 3...4...5.6 months ;P Super efficient!

MediGrow

And as for the stalling problem (the main thread ahah) The issues is, too much humidity, Current Cultured says to put them at 75% humidity... Bullshit! For the first 2-3 days, let's them sit at 50-55% then follow a more appropriate VPD for veg. I just put clones in my system, all leaves are up and GREENed in not even a day and of course, roots are already dropping like hell in the bucket! AND, using 200ppm and not 100 as suggested by CS...

MediGrow

Working right hu? :p Never had such healthy roots since using my own HOCL.

Attachments

Drkillawatt

Kill a "watt"
I always started in rock wool cubes and had my water pump running 1/4" tubing over the cubes and hydroton then once roots hit water ill pull the tubes. But the water is key i think ive had places where I couldn't use tap and ph +/- so I went with distilled and added what they wanted then they came back and started going. I think ph an water is KEY in my experiences with it. I got alot bigger plants an root systems with the RDWC but went with airpots and hydro nutes for simplicity i guess. But the few times I ran hydro once ots dialed in shots freekin awesome!! My 2 cents i guess

inthetrees

that is not real hypochlorus acid but more a chlorine solution.
@inthetrees if you need help making real uc roots, let me know ;)

hypochlorus acid made using sodium hypochlorite (pool shock) is in form on hypo for 4-6 hours before going back to chlorine solution.

There's an easy way, like ecolox (250$ us~) to brew your own uc roots @ home. Or you can use a power supply to drive electricity (using an anode and cathode) through a water solution with kasher salt and vinegar and a membrane to separate the ions in the process (that's what makes real hypochlorus acid instead of chlorine solution)

By the way, Uc roots looses its % at a rate of 1-3% each day, let's say you bought one 5 gallons, that has been on the shelves for 3...4...5.6 months ;P Super efficient!
Well wtf....

I'm aware that Sodium Hypochlorite itself degrades quickly with poor storage factors. The supply companies I found online here in Canada all recommended to order smaller amounts on a monthly basis to mitigate this. I expected that once water was added to the make the Hypochlorous Acid that it would degrade at a faster rate. Hence why I was going to be mixing micro batches on an as-needed basis for my specific setup. Only thing I don't understand based off those degradation figures you provided, is that if UC Roots only has 0.028% Hypochlorous solution, then the bottles of UC Roots coming off the assembly line would be dead within the same day of being produced would they not? Am I missing something here?

I have x2 55gal drums I fill with RO to the 50gal mark. 30 gal goes into each of the systems, and the additional 20 gal goes into each of the top-off reservoirs. With the UC Roots I've been adding 6mL/gallon on initial fill, and then an additional 6mL/gallon every 3 days after that. I have no idea how old this bottle of UC roots is that I purchased, but lets assume it sat there for a minimum of 2 or 3 months. That being said, I have yet to see any negative effects. I was hitting res temps of 80-82F prior to installing my water chillers yesterday. So almost 3 weeks of running my systems at those temps and I never had any root rot issues.

I'm honestly lost now lol. There are a ton of threads online about people running HTH Pool Shock. I can't recall seeing anyone who made the switch from true UC Roots to pool shock (or any similar product) ever complaining that it wasn't doing the trick. Yes some people still got/get root rot while using UC, or Pool shock, but there are multiple other factors in place.

Again, I have zero water chemistry knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. Guess what I'm getting at, is that if it degrades so fast, and your left with just a chlorine solution after 6 hours, what is the point of worrying that the Hypochlorous acid is dissipated? IS the main point not in fact that we are relying on the reaction between the water and the Sodium Hypochlorite to really facilitate the creation of chlorine as a by-product? I'm probably wrong but this is what I'm getting from all of this...

I've only got 200mL of UC Roots left, and 100 Gallons of water ready for res changes today. I'll be mixing the additional 400mL of DIY UC solution I need from the 5gal bucket of 12.5% I bought from the local hardware store. Now that I have chillers and water temps that have gone from 82F down to 66F, I'm not relying so heavily on the UC Roots as my last line of defense, but I'd still like to clarify on all of this.

Amazing info and communication on the subject though. Sorry for the novel, just allot to clarify on lol

-itt

Last edited:

MediGrow

Well wtf....

I'm aware that Sodium Hypochlorite itself degrades quickly with poor storage factors. The supply companies I found online here in Canada all recommended to order smaller amounts on a monthly basis to mitigate this. I expected that once water was added to the make the Hypochlorous Acid that it would degrade at a faster rate. Hence why I was going to be mixing micro batches on an as-needed basis for my specific setup. Only thing I don't understand based off those degradation figures you provided, is that if UC Roots only has 0.028% Hypochlorous solution, then the bottles of UC Roots coming off the assembly line would be dead within the same day of being produced would they not? Am I missing something here?

I have x2 55gal drums I fill with RO to the 50gal mark. 30 gal goes into each of the systems, and the additional 20 gal goes into each of the top-off reservoirs. With the UC Roots I've been adding 6mL/gallon on initial fill, and then an additional 6mL/gallon every 3 days after that. I have no idea how old this bottle of UC roots is that I purchased, but lets assume it sat there for a minimum of 2 or 3 months. That being said, I have yet to see any negative effects. I was hitting res temps of 80-82F prior to installing my water chillers yesterday. So almost 3 weeks of running my systems at those temps and I never had any root rot issues.

I'm honestly lost now lol. There are a ton of threads online about people running HTH Pool Shock. I can't recall seeing anyone who made the switch from true UC Roots to pool shock (or any similar product) ever complaining that it wasn't doing the trick. Yes some people still got/get root rot while using UC, or Pool shock, but there are multiple other factors in place.

Again, I have zero water chemistry knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. Guess what I'm getting at, is that if it degrades so fast, and your left with just a chlorine solution after 6 hours, what is the point of worrying that the Hypochlorous acid is dissipated? IS the main point not in fact that we are relying on the reaction between the water and the Sodium Hypochlorite to really facilitate the creation of chlorine as a by-product? I'm probably wrong but this is what I'm getting from all of this...

I've only got 200mL of UC Roots left, and 100 Gallons of water ready for res changes today. I'll be mixing the additional 400mL of DIY UC solution I need from the 5gal bucket of 12.5% I bought from the local hardware store. Now that I have chillers and water temps that have gone from 82F down to 66F, I'm not relying so heavily on the UC Roots as my last line of defense, but I'd still like to clarify on all of this.

Amazing info and communication on the subject though. Sorry for the novel, just allot to clarify on lol

-itt
:p

0.028% 1-3% of THAT amount then next day, 1-3% of the previous degradation ;) It simply degrades over time. As for the sodium hypochlorite, yeah, chlorine is used widely for disinfection... Problem is, using sodium hypo, sodium... And, because HOCL is way more effective than chlorine, you need less. 0.5 instead of 2-2.5ppm. So you save a lot on sodium. My guess is, if people never complained about hocl degrading over time, maybe because it's 80-100x more effective than sodium hypo... So when they start using sodium hypo, they don't see any difference. But after using my own hocl, holy crap, never saw healthy roots like this! I can send you a bottle if you want, free of charge! :p

If you don't want to make your own hocl, you can buy an Ecolox (don't know if I can past the url here) but a simple google will bring you right to it. 259$ US plus import fees in Canada, should be adding around 30-40$CAD. So a total of ~350-400$ CAD to make a whole bunch of uc roots that you will want to disinfect your whole house! ahah :) Or, there are other system like this available but maybe cheaper a bit. (membrane quality and so on)

At that price, you're back in your cash after buying 1.33x - 5 gallons or so.. Deal? I really think so ;)

And no problem for the novel! We're here to share information! Not doing a tower of knowledge!

inthetrees

Ahhh gotcha. I'm going to be making my own here as well. My wife will literally castrate me if I spend anymore money on "plant stuff", so the Ecolox is out of the question lol. Interesting product though! Kind of reminds me of Kangen systems if you've ever seen those. Expensive as hell machine to automatically adjust the pH of your drinking water with the touch of a button. Different use obviously, but makes things easy.

Like I was saying, I have this 5gal of 12.5% here so I'll be making my own as well. Wtf did people do before the interweb eh?

MediGrow

Ahhh gotcha. I'm going to be making my own here as well. My wife will literally castrate me if I spend anymore money on "plant stuff", so the Ecolox is out of the question lol. Interesting product though! Kind of reminds me of Kangen systems if you've ever seen those. Expensive as hell machine to automatically adjust the pH of your drinking water with the touch of a button. Different use obviously, but makes things easy.

Like I was saying, I have this 5gal of 12.5% here so I'll be making my own as well. Wtf did people do before the interweb eh?
They were believing everything the "guy at the store" was telling them, buying 098451093485039415 products.. ;)

Hey buddy, is that a deficiency? YES, you should add iron... mmm ok, isn't supposed to be in the 3 parts mix I already bought? Yeah well you know, your strain is special, your environment is too good, the plants consume it way faster :p AHAHAH

inthetrees

lol no doubt hey! Turns out I had just enough UC Roots left to do system changes. Going to make up my first fresh batch of DIY Roots here in 3 days time and put it back into UC bottle lol. Saving myself $300 every month now...

MediGrow

lol no doubt hey! Turns out I had just enough UC Roots left to do system changes. Going to make up my first fresh batch of DIY Roots here in 3 days time and put it back into UC bottle lol. Saving myself $300 every month now...
if you want to make sure, just buy some chlorine strip and test it out. using chlorine, you shouldn't go the 2 ppm in your system.