Plants stalling when introducing them to the RDWC

MediGrow

I was wondering if anyone can chime in...

I had the clones going pretty well, all perky under a 315 watts, temp 74-75, hum ~55. I moved them under a 1k dimmed to 600watts, temp 80-81 and humidity ~65-70 and they are simply stalled and wilting, drooping...

Ph is 5.8-6.1 water temp, I had them at first at 74 (had the clones at 83 and got roots in 5 days)... PPM was 140, dropped it to 100... Still nothing... it's been 5 days in the rdwc and roots are not even coming out... I started with water level juste above the net pot then lowered it to ¼ under the bottom...

Each time I migrated them into the rdwc, always the same thing, stalled... Any advice? tips?

Thank you! :)

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Someone else who knows more will offer more insight but i start them at 5.5

I think your PH is too high causing them to stall..My ph in systems always drifts up. Once i get into the 6.3 and up area the problems start. Some nutrient products really buffer it better than others.

Some strains just take to it in the exact same conditions and some just dont want to do it at first. I have noticed that as well.

MediGrow

I will try lowering it to 5.5! =) i'll update on this in 1-2 days

I followed the cultured solutions's guide.. they start them at 6.3~
But what is weird, in the cloner, they thrive even at 6. 6.2, I tried to replicate the water conditions in the rdwc and... houston we have a problem! :)

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I was wondering if anyone can chime in...

I had the clones going pretty well, all perky under a 315 watts, temp 74-75, hum ~55. I moved them under a 1k dimmed to 600watts, temp 80-81 and humidity ~65-70 and they are simply stalled and wilting, drooping...

Ph is 5.8-6.1 water temp, I had them at first at 74 (had the clones at 83 and got roots in 5 days)... PPM was 140, dropped it to 100... Still nothing... it's been 5 days in the rdwc and roots are not even coming out... I started with water level juste above the net pot then lowered it to ¼ under the bottom...

Each time I migrated them into the rdwc, always the same thing, stalled... Any advice? tips?

Thank you! :)
U got pics? That ppm seems pretty low to me...

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
U got pics? That ppm seems pretty low to me...
You top feeding them? I always top feed till I see roots coming out of the net pots. otherwise you have to raise the water height to submerge the roots. I always just top feed them at least twice a day and never had an issue. I use Flora trio at 1/3 the strength. I use Ph of 6.0 to 6.1 in veg. Also watch that water temperature , 74 is high if your not using UC Roots to sterilize the water, Heisen used UC roots without a chiller with great success. I have a chiller and don't let it get over 68 Degrees. Got root rot once when temp got to high, since following Heisens advice I installed a UV sterilizer on my RO unit as well, Root Rot was history.

Last edited:

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
The light increase is double.
The temp increase is 6 degrees.
5.8 is fine. I adjust to 5.5 as well when swapping buckets for daily top offs i'll drop it to 5.7-5.8.
PPM seems low especially with a double increase in light. I assume you're starting with RO water.
How established were the clones roots before potting?

inthetrees

Sorry Medigrow, not trying to hijack your thread, but pretty sure this is my same problem...

This is my first stab at undercurrent so I fully anticipated muckin something up lol. Beans germed fine, then went into 2" cubes set @ 6.0pH. Watering at same pH. Things were okay... not super perky, but they were growing. They were about 2-3" tall and some roots popping out the bottoms of cubes so I moved them into the systems... Perhaps too early now I see. Had my 630 CMH's as high as i could go. No PAR meter but lux app was showing 25,000 to 35,000.

pH initially at 6-6.1... Res temps high...75F - 77F. Tap was at 130ppm so added veg nutes to bring to 300 ppm. FIrst 2 or 3 days some were looking better than others. Few of em were quite perky for whatever reason. Seemed like the growth was short lived and things started dropping more and more each day. Figured maybe it was too much light so I turned off the CMH's and put my small LED panels back in. Now sitting around 5000 lux. I know its now way to measure light especially with LED, but thats all I have to go off of.... Keep calibrating my meter thinking thats the issue...

Got my UV and RO system setup, so with 1ppm supply water, I flushed the system yesterday. Added lowest does of Silica @ 2.5mL/gal (50ppm) and half strength nutes... Sitting at 300ppm now.

Just found this thread and saw gwheels post, so I've lowered the pH in the system thats really rough to 5.5. Other system is doing better but thats a different strain completely. That one was at 6.1, so adjusted to 5.8. Top feeding twice a day, so hoping this stuff improves..

inthetrees

First 2 are Ethos Lemonberry all in one tent, the last two are Ethos Velvet Underground in the other tent. Temps were 78-80F and 65% while CMH were on, now with the LED's back on its 75F and 70%.
20200817_093959.jpg20200817_094008.jpg20200817_094017.jpg20200817_094029.jpg

inthetrees

The ppms have risen with the initial system fill, and the fush yesterday. I'm up 35 ppm in under 24 hours in the system thats rough, and almost 80 ppm in the system doing better.

inthetrees

The water level issue I slacked on, because I initially had the water level up 2/3 of the net pot as I saw Heisenbubble doing with his veg setup. SO i raised mine that height. THen I read about them drooping in RDWC and it being a possible issue of not enough o2 or room for o2 with the levels so high, so i dropped the level to the bottom of the netpots. Thats contradictory to what current culture does since they suggest running the water level to right below the cube, then dropping down...