Old timer wisdom dump

D

Deleted member 60

Good luck getting the edibles gig off the ground @aSimpleBaker. It's a tough market....regulations being just one of the challenges......along with getting the brand name out there. A lot of folks here in CO gave it a go early on...back when Medical weed was in it's infancy. Cellophane wrapped brownies and shit right out of people's kitchens were the norm with labels printed up on the inkjet. Then the laws caught up to what was going on (dispensaries were never a planned thing here...they evolved around ONE word in the law that allowed caregivers to "dispense" meds to their patients without fear of criminal prosecution/etc...) and things got more formal and restictive....packaging with warnings...limits on strength....and all the other trappings that eat into the bottom line and make it hard to make a go of it. I hope you can figure out the path to success.

LOL...as far as women....married my best friend 40 years ago this May....but we've been together 41....and I've known each other (50 years) since we split a hit of acid at the drinking fountain in 8th grade in '71. She got the dose and freaked out in class...LOL...I git a twinge and was bummed cus it was (supposedly) my first time tryin' 'cid. She never ate it again but I honed it to a science all through the 70's..LOL.

Again....good luck getting something off the ground.....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 60

Testing would be easy compared to securing a license to do any of it. At least that's how it is here in Colorado. If you didn't get in the game at the onset...you simply/likely aren't in the game now. They severely limited the # of licenses here.....basically...the folks who stepped out on the limb during Med got the first nod to play in the Rec game. How are things where you are @aSimpleBaker ??? Can licenses/the required bullfuckinshit be had? Expensive? Or are you in that gray area we all (made so much money in) found ourselves in cus the state had yet to catch up to the game being played? Ah...what good, profitable times those were here in CO for those folks set up and running hard (2008-2010)...but I digress...

D

Deleted member 60

Sounds familiar. Sadly...I'm sure a lot of guys growing for a living there don't see the true end coming...which is that SOME will get to play but most will be left in the dirt with their grows and their weight. Some will give up growing altogether. Your Craigslist ads for equipment will BLOW UP....LOL....and like here...there will be stores popping up selling USED equipment sourced from all of the folks who moved here to "cash in"....like they were doing at home IN AN ILLEGAL MARKET. You know...it's the guys who say "MY Top shelf WILL ALWAYS sell and I'll get top prices as well, suckers". LOFL. Nope. Once folks can walk in to a store and buy weed/hash/edibles/patches/spaghetti sauce/pipes/bongs/stickers/posters/blahdeeblah in ONE STOP......LEGALLY...they aren't gonna be calling Mr. Top shelf for just flower....and an illegal purchase scenario. Basically...."Game over'. Been there...did that. you can still play here.....but the 6K pounds we once tendered out are now 1K pounds. Still the same WORK......and RISK.....cus without a State license....none of it is "legal". Nah...no thanks. I'll just grow like I have a market....cus i can...not cus i need it. Get on it kids...Get on it!

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I've tried to run the numbers in my head, and it just seems like a fools errand unless you're turning over what? hundreds of pounds a year? After you pay for all the things (property, supplies, licenses, trim girls in bikinis) sounds like you'd end up busting your ass for peanuts. It's unfortunate, but I think the sad reality will be Cookies shops right next to every friggin McDonalds.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I've tried to run the numbers in my head, and it just seems like a fools errand unless you're turning over what? hundreds of pounds a year? After you pay for all the things (property, supplies, trim girls in bikinis) sounds like you'd end up busting your ass for peanuts. It's unfortunate, but I think the sad reality will be Cookies shops right next to every friggin McDonalds.
States this late in the legalization game have caught on and made it extremely difficult for any average grower to get licensed. If you don’t have deep pockets, or friends who do, then the application process alone is a pipe dream. I looked into it in MA years ago and it was something like $15,000 - $20,000 just to apply for consideration. Then, if you are considered, it was another $5,000 fee that had to be sent with your business plan. Then, if that got approved, the next step was to get approval from the town you want to open shop in which usually involves having to make annual “donations” to the local PD for drug education and other bullshit...then there’s the taxes added on top of all of that, the required security details you have to pay for, etc.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
There's also the banking issue. Unless it has changed, weed businesses can't take credit cards or other electronic transactions, and can't make deposits in FDIC insured banks. Not until there is federal decriminalization.
FWIW, VP-Elect Harris promised Federal decriminalization in the first VP debate. The feds finally collecting some tax money on it would be a win in my book. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it signed into law.

D

Deleted member 60

Funny thing....while "Federally illegal"....the FED has no problem collecting TAXES on thse sales/incomes/etc. Another severe challenge for the dispo owners/licensed growers/edible manufacturers/etc. (anyone handling/selling THC products) is that the FED will not let these businesses deduct the same, normal, operating expenses any other business can deduct. It's a discriminatory set up that would NEVER fly....say...,if they tried to do the same shit to gun sellers/ammo sellers/etc.... or to liquor store owners. It's bullshit.....like many other laws aimed at weed that are VERY outsdie the "rights" other business entities enjoy/take for granted/would call foul if they were treated the same way.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Funny thing....while "Federally illegal"....the FED has no problem collecting TAXES on thse sales/incomes/etc. Another severe challenge for the dispo owners/licensed growers/edible manufacturers/etc. (anyone handling/selling THC products) is that the FED will not let these businesses deduct the same, normal, operating expenses any other business can deduct. It's a discriminatory set up that would NEVER fly....say...,if they tried to do the same shit to gun sellers/ammo sellers/etc.... or to liquor store owners. It's bullshit.....like many other laws aimed at weed that are VERY outsdie the "rights" other business entities enjoy/take for granted/would call foul if they were treated the same way.
I am pretty sure that all the taxes and regulatory fees are collected by the state - not fed

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Makes me wonder what "legal" for-profit pot growers federal tax returns look like... how would they even have a registered EIN? Do they file Schedule C's? Are trim girls 1099 employees?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
There was a good documentary on it, but that was a few years ago. State laws have changed every which way since then but federal hasn't budged.