OLD ST1R’s Heisenbean Grow

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I disagree. There are obvious differences between the two techniques.
i agree that there are difference between nugbucketz and nebulas method, my only point was that manifold and mainline were used interchangeably with both methods.

"Main-Lining"

definition. a form of training and managing canopy for cannabis.....to build a "hub" off of a single node creating a "manifold" for equal energy distribution from the root mass to the growing tops.
....this pic shows what i mean by "manifold" really well.......my little V-8!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
i agree that there are difference between nugbucketz and nebulas method, my only point was that manifold and mainline were used interchangeably with both methods.
Yes, the manifold thing was also his. If you look through nugs, he explains the mainlining - the initial topping and pruning in depth as to the how and the why. After that apical dominance is broken, he just goes crazy and shows how many different things he did with it.

I said that the nebula dude made his version popular. He had this simple step-by-step slide that even an idiot like me could do.
manifold.JPG
I tried this and several variations of it, but ditched it in favor of doing four tops off the mainline. Just topping, then topping each of the 2 shoots after the first node. I think that keeps more with the theory of having each cola get fed the same. If do an 8-top I from now on I would top those 4 and keep the equilibrium going.

On Nebulas I always found the middle 4 tops were noticeably smaller than the 4 at the ends.

Last edited:

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Yes, the manifold thing was also his. If you look through nugs, he explains the mainlining - the initial topping and pruning in depth as to the how and the why. After that apical dominance is broken, he just goes crazy and shows how many different things he did with it.

I said that the nebula dude made his version popular. He had this simple step-by-step slide that even an idiot like me cold do.
View attachment 31457
I tried this and several variations of it, but ditched it in favor of doing four tops off the mainline. Just topping, then topping each of the 2 shoots after the first node. I think that keeps more with the theory of having each cola get fed the same. If do an 8-top I from now on I would top those 4 and keep the equilibrium going.

On Nebulas I always found the middle 4 tops were noticeably smaller than the 4 at the ends.
yeah, I’m a manifold guy myself as well. I prefer Nugbucketz method over nebulas, but I definitely can appreciate the simplicity of nebulas method.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
yeah, I’m a manifold guy myself as well. I prefer Nugbucketz method over nebulas, but I definitely can appreciate the simplicity of nebulas method.
Since I am pretty much going for four cola per plant now, I am trying just topping above the 4th node, and leaving the 4 tops from the 3rd and 4th node with no mainline. If the results are even close to mainlining for 4, it knocks about a week or so off veg.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Since I am pretty much going for four cola per plant now, I am trying just topping above the 4th node, and leaving the 4 tops from the 3rd and 4th node with no mainline. If the results are even close to mainlining for 4, it knocks about a week or so off veg.
ive seen people do that before, Ive never seen a comparison of the different methods, but a lot of people in my local area top their plants that way.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Helllllooooo Fellow Growwwwwwers!

I’m almost three full weeks into flower now and the plants have slowed stretching, so I’m going to switch to the HPS tomorrow just before lights on.

This is the last of white light pics for a while.

A75F3AF6-97C6-4220-8742-74FD44927BCF.jpeg78DADC4A-89FC-4047-851E-7AD95D347381.jpeg

When I was watering tonight just before I took these pics, I took a quick look at some of the branches in some of the plants and I’m still finding balls and nanners.

I’m going to remove each plant from the tent tomorrow morning before lights out and go over them again in detail to remove any male flowers I can find.

At some point, finding the balls is going to become very difficult since the buds are staring to stack now. Does anyone know if it’s feasible for the balls to stop getting thrown on these plants? They have slowed down, but my hopes for a sensimilla run are getting thinner and thinner.

One other question for those with experience in HPS, have far down the branch can light penetrate and be useful enough to produce good bud? Since most of the balls are showing up lower on the plant, I was considering removing all the growth below about 9 or ten inches from the top of the plant, in hopes of that it would reduce or eliminate balls and allow the plant to focus on producing larger top colas.

Thoughts?

GCG

Dinosaur
I know thinning out the light starved lowers can help avoid it, especially if you're only finding them on the lowers. It depends on how bad the trait they carry is or the stress they're experiencing is. If you've got stressors taken care of. Then its a wait and see how bad they get. Pluck them religiously or cull them. I never trust I'll get them all.
I would clean up the lower stuff at minimun. But that's also because my old ass eyes don't always catch the balls until its too late and that sucks.

D

Deleted member 60

Man...that just sucks. I'd be muy pissed. One might be acceptable (in today's world. NEVER was in the past) but to have em all tossin'...well....that isn't acceptable. Not at all. I'm old school on that shit., we NEVER had these problems back when folks truly "bred" plants and weren't just doin the hit and run. IF there was a problem it was a BIG one. Ask Swerve if you need details. Unlike today...the community didn't play those games and basically forced his hand to replace thousands of packs...or go under as a rip off artist. He did the former. Had to hit him hard....yet today we hear "just pick them off"....or worse....that yer a shitty grower/poor environment/hack motherfucker...etc... Sure can't be the untested seeds.......uhuuuum. Yeah. Right.

But yer well into it now. I'd strip those lowers up like you detailed....and watch 'em like a hawk and hope. The HPS will penetrate into the canopy a bit.....but with this problem...i'd just try to make it as easy as possible to spot the errant flowers.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Man...that just sucks. I'd be muy pissed. One might be acceptable (in today's world. NEVER was in the past) but to have em all tossin'...well....that isn't acceptable. Not at all. I'm old school on that shit., we NEVER had these problems back when folks truly "bred" plants and weren't just doin the hit and run. IF there was a problem it was a BIG one. Ask Swerve if you need details. Unlike today...the community didn't play those games and basically forced his hand to replace thousands of packs...or go under as a rip off artist. He did the former. Had to hit him hard....yet today we hear "just pick them off"....or worse....that yer a shitty grower/poor environment/hack motherfucker...etc... Sure can't be the untested seeds.......uhuuuum. Yeah. Right.

But yer well into it now. I'd strip those lowers up like you detailed....and watch 'em like a hawk and hope. The HPS will penetrate into the canopy a bit.....but with this problem...i'd just try to make it as easy as possible to spot the errant flowers.
So I went through 6 of the eight plants again in detail this morning. I ran out of time before the lights went off. And I found balls and/or nanners on every one. This is the third time I’ve gone over them in detail and each time I’ve found male parts which I picked off.

Today I found many hiding between where the lower buds rest against the main stalk. I won’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of finding everything as they progress through flower.

I did remove a PILE of secondary shoots lower on the plants in hope of reducing pollination of my entire tent.

I’m hoping it turns out OK, but realistically, I think I’ve going to have a tent full of Plants that will be made into hash.

D

Deleted member 60

Bunk seeds suck. Time and money...out the door. I've been growing for 30 years and it's only in the last few years i've seen ANY of this shit going down. I never culled ANY plants for herms until 2 years ago..... and I never heard a "breeder" openly speak that they KNEW those traits were there...after the sale....until last year.

Very disappointing stuff. Maybe by the next grow you'll have your environment dialed in so that won't happen again....:rolleyes: Uuuuhhhum.... yeah...right, huh?

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Helllllooooo Fellow Growwwwwwers!

I’m almost three full weeks into flower now and the plants have slowed stretching, so I’m going to switch to the HPS tomorrow just before lights on.

This is the last of white light pics for a while.

View attachment 31759View attachment 31760

When I was watering tonight just before I took these pics, I took a quick look at some of the branches in some of the plants and I’m still finding balls and nanners.

I’m going to remove each plant from the tent tomorrow morning before lights out and go over them again in detail to remove any male flowers I can find.

At some point, finding the balls is going to become very difficult since the buds are staring to stack now. Does anyone know if it’s feasible for the balls to stop getting thrown on these plants? They have slowed down, but my hopes for a sensimilla run are getting thinner and thinner.

One other question for those with experience in HPS, have far down the branch can light penetrate and be useful enough to produce good bud? Since most of the balls are showing up lower on the plant, I was considering removing all the growth below about 9 or ten inches from the top of the plant, in hopes of that it would reduce or eliminate balls and allow the plant to focus on producing larger top colas.

Thoughts?
The HPS will penetrate an easy 18".
Sucks that they are still popping up. Whether it's genetics or stress that's causing it, I would be re-examining all procedures, the feed, lights, pruning, et al.
You've got 7 of 8 plants, across 4 strains showing balls. That leaves 3 choices for consideration...
1) you are one unlucky mofo
2) the seeds are shit
3) growing stress

Not out of the realm to be some of all 3 as well.

Had my share of nutz this year. One Bounty Hunter was plucked once and done. One Dubstep was plucked and appeared done. One Jack Shit, which I abused threw balls also. I put both outside cause I had the option weather wise, but I killed the Jack Shit for being relentless with them. I grew out the first two, smoking the BH now. The Dubstep seeded itself, which decreased the volume, and there was only hash material.... I cloned the Jack Shit to run again and see if it pops nutz again.

Recurring or not recurring nuts is the question. And if some have stopped and some haven't stopped, I'd be inclined to separate the two if possible or kill off the recurring ones. Because the ones that stopped have a shot making clean bud.

Or put the pedal down and have a hash tent this round and get something else started.

I dunno really, you're in a shitty spot. Got another tent?

D

Deleted member 60

I don't buy the whole "it's your environment" line of bullshit unless EVERY plant you've grown in that space was a hermie...and that NEVER happens. When guys with solid rooms who have been crankin' out weight for years suddenly have a hermie issue and get their dick lathered with "it's your environment"...all of the sudden...and not rushed out/haphazardly made seeds.....I cringe and think how badly someone needs their clock cleaned by anyone who they sold those seeds to. Sorry...it just isn't right and it isn't the way "breeding" used to work when folks actually worked their lines. A good breeder catches that shit BEFORE the customer. Should >something< somehow happen....they make no excuses and take the blame. Had the seeds been ran multiple times by the breeder...in stressful environments as a good breeder would do...they would never hit the market. It's not the customer's fault...sorry. OK...unless they buy more seeds from that same person....

There shouldn't be anything to pick off....plain and simple. That just says it all here...and more.

Hopin for the best for ya @Old ST1R. Sometimes....like with Chem D...the flowers are sterile (and very late with Chem D...which is why it has stuck around, IMO). I hope that is the case here.

but thank bob for hash...huh? Oh yeah.....

Punisher84

Just some asshole
In my short time growing and researching this plant we grow, for the most part it’s a durable mofo.

My first grow had every chance to screw up and hermie or die on me. Spider mites, light stress, heat stress, nute burn, starved of nutes, stripped every damn leaf off them, broken limbs.. They finished fine. Some shitty clones I got from a buddy.

I feel like your issue is with genetics more so than environmental. Its weed, they don’t call it that for no reason.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I’m the first admit that these plants have not had a stress free life. Edit. See post #26 on page two of this thread.

Once the seeds germinated, I thre them into used soil, which apparently had little nutrition left because growth stalled and they eventually started to turn yellow from lack of N.

After that though, they have been in the best environment I’m able to provide. The temperature never swing outside of 68 to 76 degrees although the humidity is low at 36 or 37. The question is, are these thing enough stress to expect the Hermaphrodism?

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I’m the first admit that these plants have not had a stress free life. Edit. See post #26 on page two of this thread.

Once the seeds germinated, I thre them into used soil, which apparently had little nutrition left because growth stalled and they eventually started to turn yellow from lack of N.

After that though, they have been in the best environment I’m able to provide. The temperature never swing outside of 68 to 76 degrees although the humidity is low at 36 or 37. The question is, are these thing enough stress to expect the Hermaphrodism?
I don't have that answer. Plants look great............sure as hell not stressed looking to me.
I don't worry too much about humidity, but 36 % is no problem.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Hopin for the best for ya @Old ST1R. Sometimes....like with Chem D...the flowers are sterile (and very late with Chem D...which is why it has stuck around, IMO). I hope that is the case here.
I hope there is a chance that there is no viable pollen from the male flowers. Maybe that is the case because I’ve seen a lot of pics of strains the same as I’m growing and they finished awesomely. Like fire finish.

Here’s to hoping.