Let's Build a Press

shimz

vapest
I did an eBay search, but I don't think those are being offered any more.

If I was to build one I would want to go with something like the new paperless systems where you load up, do a partial squeeze, then tip the unit down on rollers and bumpers. Then you just catch the candy flow, lol.

Streetpro09

Tester
I did an eBay search, but I don't think those are being offered any more.

If I was to build one I would want to go with something like the new paperless systems where you load up, do a partial squeeze, then tip the unit down on rollers and bumpers. Then you just catch the candy flow, lol.
At that point I'd want a channel in the plates so you could pour one stream. I goggled a little but couldn't find much. Do you have a link to one you prefer?

Streetpro09

Tester
That was the one I found. Watched a video for it. They layed it on its side and let it drop on paper. :unsure: I was a little disappointed.

shimz

vapest
Hard anodized ftw. I have access to that process so I'm thinking about converting my press to a roll'n'tip, lol.

Bruno8437

Super Active Member
I changed my design again. I made the structure posts into the guide posts. This will save a little on material costs. I have been looking at bearing and shaft costs. I can find cheap metric bearings and cheap standard shaft. Standard bearings are 3-4 times the cost of metric and metric shafting is 2-3 times the cost of standard. The most cost effective size I have found so far is 20mm. Any good sources for cheap linear rail and bearings welcome. I've already looked at VXB, amazon, and walmart. Probably buy vbx thru amazon or walmart and save on shipping.
You could just go with 2 bearings on the diagonal and drop the other bearings. Just replace them with stand-offs and clearance holes. Or maybe you should reconsider bushings, the press isn't going to see a high cycle rate or even that many cycles. Bushings should work in this application. Remember to consider heat transfer when selecting your bearings.

Sources for linear bearings:
McMaster-Carr: https://www1.mcmaster.com/metal-bars
MSC: https://www.mscdirect.com/

Green_256

What's a SIP?
so guys, I've been looking into presses for a while now, and I think the low temp plates has the best option for me.

I was hoping to get some advise here, or maybe if anyone has some warning or something lolScreenshot_2019-05-22-22-50-17.pngScreenshot_2019-05-22-22-46-20.png

What do you guys suggest for the PID controller and and heat probes? I plan to start building this in the next week or two and the controller/probes are the only thing I haven't decided on yet. Dab press has a 500watt pid controller with dual probes for $160 but it is by CN Warehouse(which is some alibaba vendor). Tuopuke has a 600watt pid controller with 4 probes for $150. Tuopuke is definitely the way I am leaning since @Cob_nUt has already posted a good experience with them. Please keep in mind I am not looking for a kit with plates unless it is a steal of a deal, since I plan to make the plates myself.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
What do you guys suggest for the PID controller and and heat probes? I plan to start building this in the next week or two and the controller/probes are the only thing I haven't decided on yet. Dab press has a 500watt pid controller with dual probes for $160 but it is by CN Warehouse(which is some alibaba vendor). Tuopuke has a 600watt pid controller with 4 probes for $150. Tuopuke is definitely the way I am leaning since @Cob_nUt has already posted a good experience with them. Please keep in mind I am not looking for a kit with plates unless it is a steal of a deal, since I plan to make the plates myself.
Those Tuopoke quad probe controller are an upgrade from my 2 probe plate kit.
If you build your own plates,Greengenes had a build video on YouTube and links to where he sourced his pid controllers,wires,thermocouples,probes and plates.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
so guys, I've been looking into presses for a while now, and I think the low temp plates has the best option for me.

I was hoping to get some advise here, or maybe if anyone has some warning or something lolView attachment 7235View attachment 7236
Low temp are some quality presses.But at 1,740 I could build one for the $740.00 and have a lot of change left for all the accessories and do dads.Not trying to dissuade you from your purchase,just stating fact.
It is a helluva nice press.18 hunnid worth? Eh,maybe if Inwere selling rosin I could justify it to myself.ROI wouldn't take long in that case.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
Check out this link. I'am new here but have been researching my own press for a while. This guy know's what he's doing.

@Ginger Viking this is the guy and video I speak of.I almost went this route until I saw the Tuopoke kit.I love to DIY stuff,but I was eager to get to pressing after coming from a flat iron rigged to a Irwin handclamp.

@Ginger Viking this is the guy and video I speak of.I almost went this route until I saw the Tuopoke kit.I love to DIY stuff,but I was eager to get to pressing after coming from a flat iron rigged to a Irwin handclamp.
Yeah I've already watched it from when @SCJedi posted it. I'm sure I can DIY it but I'd rather get a canned package for the heater/controller just from a reliability standpoint. I'm pretty fluent mechanically but not so much electrically even tho I build all my lights and have even considered building them for others. To me lights are simple and straightforward, but PID controllers not so much or at least I haven't had the time to research/learn it yet. I have been considering getting an arduino or raspberry pi and starting down that rabbit hole for full grow room automation but I only have so much time in a day. The more you know...
Hopefully I can have this thing built in a couple of weeks. I'm just now getting back to this project but spare time for me is very limited and it seems to be getting less by the day.
If anyone knows of any good heater/controller packages at a good price let me know. Hopefully I can get one ordered in a week or so.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
I'd ride with the Tuopoke.Good value and cost.I'l also note,I haven't looked into plates and controllers in a while now.I'm sure there are more choices and bargains without sacrificing quality out there now.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Low temp are some quality presses.But at 1,740 I could build one for the $740.00 and have a lot of change left for all the accessories and do dads.Not trying to dissuade you from your purchase,just stating fact.
It is a helluva nice press.18 hunnid worth? Eh,maybe if Inwere selling rosin I could justify it to myself.ROI wouldn't take long in that case.
I purchased this unit a while back. I know it was pricey but i love a good quality piece of equipment and it did not disappoint. I think one of the most impressive parts would be the BVA pump set up. I looked around and you would have between 6-700 hundred tied up in pump set up alone. That all comes assembled. The hand pump seem to fit my needs the most space wise and there are cheaper hand pumps available none of them had any good reviews. With the amount of pressure you are dealing with i just wanted something well made at least that is what i was telling myself when shelling out that many Franklin's.