Let's Build a Press

I plan to start making my own rosin in the future. I'm not broke but I don't like throwing away what I don't have to so I have opted to build instead of buy and figure I'll get out somewhere around 50-75% less than buying a plug and play system. I have never done any pressing but I understand the basics of it for the most part. I think the easiest place to start will be the plates. What size plates should I use is the first question I need to answer? I have access to a full machine shop so I can build the plates, frame, etc. I would buy them if it works out to about the same as what it would cost me to build them. Second question is what heaters/controller should I use for the plates. Maybe we can come up with a cost effective press how to together.

Last edited:

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
Northern tool 10 ton press w/gauge(very handy)-<$200 with coupon and free shipping.
Tupoke Rosin press kit with 3x5 plates, pid controller and heaters-$150
Rosin bags-shop around for the bags and micron sizes you want there's plenty.
All said I'm right under $400 and pressing away.

Greengenes has a plate build tutorial over on riu if you want to build your own plates,controllers and heaters with a parts list. He also has a YouTube video on it too,if it's still up.It's been a cple years.
Check it out,it'll help you and practically give you the info to diy your plates,pid controllers and heaters.
IMO,there are "cheap" are presses that get the job done with great results.There are also presses that get the job done with great results that have a lot of bells and whistles.
I'm a "as cheap as I can do it without sacrificing quality and still get the job done DIY'er".

Get a decent to good press(w a gauge preferably),some well machined plates caged or not.Your choice of plate material and good technique( I prefer bottle tec).

Plate size is a goo starting point.
Few questions-
How much material do you want to squish at one time? (I can get up to 20g of flower in my 2x4" bags comfortably.I squish no more than 10gs at a time now)
What type of material will you be inputing ...flower, trim,bubble hash etc.
3x3 & on up are the size plates that are common.
I have the 3x5 kit previously mentioned it came with thick heaters and a pid controller for both heaters.
You can source the controllers and heaters cheaper than I paid.
I might have saved $75-$125 had I diy'd my plates and sourced my own contollers and heaters.

Lastly,do not get a harbor freight press under the 20 ton.They eventually fail unless reinforced post purchase no sense in that.I bought 3 all failed and returned.
My 10 ton bench-top is perfect(for me) I haven't pressed beyond 1500 metric tons of pressure.

Good luck I'll be watching along.There will be more people with more experience and help soon.

Last edited:

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I need to get on this to. Have a 20ton. I can cast aluminium so material is only labor. Have mill to machine. I'm guessing eBay has heaters? How many watts for a 3x5 plate? I have a couple PLC with SSRs. So I'm half there LOL

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
On that note now that I'm looking at heaters. What about casting a plate big enough to surround an electric stove element? They are 220 but will run on 110 especially at lower temps that rosin runs at. Hmmm the cheep in me says it can be done. What's a small stove element 5-6" so 7" round plate. Should heat up fast and be easy to maintain temp because the element has much more surface area. Trip to the dump is in order. Saw about 20 stoves last time I was there.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
The issue with bigger or plates that big...I think would be rosin quality coming out.I'm.not sure if I'm saying this correctly but the more surface area of the plates the more pressure needed and heat
Also,the rosin has to travel further to the edges of the plates.
60 watts + per heater coil? Plate material and size dependant. Higher wattage heaters=quicker plate to temp times.
I'll stop here and stop guessing and going off of my faulty memory on this subject.
Check out GG's youtube. Good info there.

Last edited:

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I'm guessing you can just squish the same size of bag with a bigger plate. Should make no difference if it's the same temp, area, pressure. I'll have to do some research.

Material will be flower. Idk how much at a time I plan to do yet. Just for hypotheticals let's say 4-6 ounces every few months and it doesn't have to be all at once. Probably don't want to go any smaller than 3x5 but i'm just guessing.
I will probably buy a 20 ton low profile bottle jack from HF. I can disassemble the jack and measure the diameter of the ram. Then I will drill and tap the base of the jack and add a pressure gauge. By knowing the diameter of the ram I can calculate the area of it. Force = Pressure x Area. So I just turned a $30 bottle jack, a $15 pressure, gauge into a $200+ bottle jack. I've done this with a bottle jack before and it works. If nothing else I will be able to press repeatably.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Material will be flower. Idk how much at a time I plan to do yet. Just for hypotheticals let's say 4-6 ounces every few months and it doesn't have to be all at once. Probably don't want to go any smaller than 3x5 but i'm just guessing.
I will probably buy a 20 ton low profile bottle jack from HF. I can disassemble the jack and measure the diameter of the ram. Then I will drill and tap the base of the jack and add a pressure gauge. By knowing the diameter of the ram I can calculate the area of it. Force = Pressure x Area. So I just turned a $30 bottle jack, a $15 pressure, gauge into a $200+ bottle jack. I've done this with a bottle jack before and it works. If nothing else I will be able to press repeatably.
I believe with the 3x5 plates you would not need more than a 5 ton bottle jack. Example: with the 3x5 plates you would most likely use the 2x4 rosin bags. A 2x4 rosin bag= 8 sq in. In my case i have a 20 ton pump.... 20,000 lbs divided by 8 sq in =2500psi. If you have a 10 ton pump 10,000lbs your pressure would be half that. If you don't have a gauge you are kind of guessing at the psi.

If nothing else I will only use 25% of the output of the 20 ton jack. I'd rather have more force in reserve if need be than to not have it.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
If nothing else I will only use 25% of the output of the 20 ton jack. I'd rather have more force in reserve if need be than to not have it.
Yea that's what i was thinking as well when i went with the 20 ton. well keep us posted on your build. With having access to a machine shop should save you a load of money. I posed a picture of mine in the concentrate thread built by Lowtemp plates. My cage with the plates must weigh 40lbs or more..

Bruno8437

Super Active Member
Tupoke Rosin press kit with 3x5 plates, pid controller and heaters-$150
That rosin press kit seems like a really good deal. By the time I piece together 6061 Al bars stock, heater cartridges with T/C's and PID controller, I'm almost at $150 and I would still have to do the fab. Thanks for the info.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
That rosin press kit seems like a really good deal. By the time I piece together 6061 Al bars stock, heater cartridges with T/C's and PID controller, I'm almost at $150 and I would still have to do the fab. Thanks for the info.
You are welcome. I've had mine for nearly 2 years.Still going strong.PID controller is accurate also.Definite plus.

I drew up a press for the most part. I still need to insert bolts, springs, and what not into the model. Overall dimensions are 12"wide x 6" deep x 18" tall (15.5" without the handle) The press has 3x5 plates and a 20 ton low profile HF jack (would also work with their 12ton low profile). Anyone see any design issues? I might get rid of the handle on top. This thing should be easy enough to grab with its 4 side posts and may be too heavy to carry with one arm by the handle anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

IrocZ

Really Active Member
I drew up a press for the most part. I still need to insert bolts, springs, and what not into the model. Overall dimensions are 12"wide x 6" deep x 18" tall (15.5" without the handle) The press has 3x5 plates and a 20 ton low profile HF jack (would also work with their 12ton low profile). Anyone see any design issues? I might get rid of the handle on top. This thing should be easy enough to grab with its 4 side posts and may be too heavy to carry with one arm by the handle anyway.
From what I have read no gains are achieved after pressing the material over 1,000 psi.

Take your plates (3x5) = 15 square inches x 1000 psi= 15,000 lbs. This is the pressure of the jack needed to hit 1,000 psi.

A 12 ton jack is pushing 24,000 lbs, which is more than enough.

I would be leary of using screws on the ends of a press. Especially one with such a high tonnage jack. If your pressing against the screws the only thing holding them is the threads, which very well could give way under pressure.

Not saying it can't be done. But I wouldn't suggest using a higher tonnage jack than you need to efficiently operate your plates. It will put a lot more pressure on the cage of the press than necessary.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Although, Capt C has a very nice press posted. It does use Bolts holding it together at the top, so as long as they can hold the pressure you should be Ok, I suppose.

I do like the compact size of your design. Perfect appliance to sit between the coffee maker and the microwave (y)

(y)
I never rely thought about that@IrocZ. I think i will contact Lowtemp plates and see what kind of pressure it would take to shear those threads. I have not seen the need for any pressure over 2500 psi although i have only had 2 pressing sessions. My press did come with 2 very heavy duty L brackets to bolt to each end of the top plate and the other to bolt to the work bench. Not sure what kind of pressure it would take to shear those threads but that is a scary thought. I would have to say that having a good pressure gauge is a must with these open cage presses.

From what I have read no gains are achieved after pressing the material over 1,000 psi.

Take your plates (3x5) = 15 square inches x 1000 psi= 15,000 lbs. This is the pressure of the jack needed to hit 1,000 psi.

A 12 ton jack is pushing 24,000 lbs, which is more than enough.

I would be leary of using screws on the ends of a press. Especially one with such a high tonnage jack. If your pressing against the screws the only thing holding them is the threads, which very well could give way under pressure.

Not saying it can't be done. But I wouldn't suggest using a higher tonnage jack than you need to efficiently operate your plates. It will put a lot more pressure on the cage of the press than necessary.
I am going to be installing a pressure gauge into my bottle jack so I will know what pressure I am pressing. The pressure gauge is easier to install on a larger jack and I would rather have more power in reserve incase I decide to go up in plate size later I won't have to upgrade anything. It's not the best idea to use 100% of capacity of a jack anyway. That's where failures happen.

I never rely thought about that@IrocZ. I think i will contact Lowtemp plates and see what kind of pressure it would take to shear those threads. I have not seen the need for any pressure over 2500 psi although i have only had 2 pressing sessions. My press did come with 2 very heavy duty L brackets to bolt to each end of the top plate and the other to bolt to the work bench. Not sure what kind of pressure it would take to shear those threads but that is a scary thought. I would have to say that having a good pressure gauge is a must with these open cage presses.
Bolts are much stronger in tensile strength than shear strength and in this design they are oriented for tensile force. I might bolt everything together and make sure it runs smooth and then weld the 4 main posts in place before I paint it. I think it would take around 15 tons to strip the threads of 4 - 5/16 bolts(I have enough room for 3/8 bolts which looks good up to 23 tons).

I do think I will change the bushings for bearings. I know it will run a lot smoother but will add to the cost. It will be worth it. I will probably use metric bearings and shafts because I can get metric bearings cheaper.