Led build

Proud420

I don't really understand.

Resistance is additive in a series circuit. Voltage drops across each resistor (light) and will be completely consumed by the end of a series circuit.
No need to worry about voltage. It will be 24.xxV, it will change by a little depending how you adjust the current.

What Tyrone is trying to say is that if you chosed a different way/driver, like strips in series then you would have to worry about the high voltage because they would add up. But fortunately for you you chose the safest way.

Streetpro09

Tester
No need to worry about voltage. It will be 24.xxV, it will change by a little depending how you adjust the current.

What Tyrone is trying to say is that if you chosed a different way/driver, like strips in series then you would have to worry about the high voltage because they would add up. But fortunately for you you chose the safest way.
Maybe I was taught wrong but you start with a source voltage. Be it 12, 24, 36 whatever. When you add resistors to a series circuit voltage goes down across each resistor. Not sure why you guys think voltage adds up. Voltage is not being created at each resistor. Each resistor is using voltage so I don't understand how voltage adds up.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Maybe I was taught wrong but you start with a source voltage. Be it 12, 24, 36 whatever. When you add resistors to a series circuit voltage goes down across each resistor. Not sure why you guys think voltage adds up. Voltage is not being created at each resistor. Each resistor is using voltage so I don't understand how voltage adds up.
Glad we are gonna be going over this . I def need a course or two on this stuff

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

Voltage doesn't change when you adjust current, and the strips don't determine voltage, they get whatever you feed them.

Proud420

LEDs are active circuits they don't behave like resistors even if ohms law still apply. Your are not starting with voltage generator but a current generator.

The voltage across the LEDs is given in the datasheet (2.7V in the case of lm301h) , look for forward voltage.
It will change very little when changing the current:
Screenshot_20200812-161821.jpg

This is for one LED, if you have ten LEDs in series the Voltage drop across them will be the sum of the drops across each elements so 10xVf...

The strip you have is an arrangement of 96 LEDs but electrically they will behave like one with the specs written on the label:
Forward Voltage 24V. I nominal 700/900mA per row (X2 because you have two rows)

In your case you will run in parallel so the voltage drop across the system will be the same than the voltage drop across one strip: 24V.
The current your driver output will be divided nearly equally between all strips so 20A / 14strips = 1.4 A pet strip. (That's about 35W per strip)

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
@Proud420 I get what you're saying but the way @TerpyTyrone is putting it, at least with my understanding, is that if I wired these in series I would need to worry about high voltage. Not sure how 300v is going to come out of a 30v driver.
I think he's confusing how voltage adds up when batteries are wired in series with how LEDs are effected when wired in series. This helps explain the difference between series and parallel with LED circuits.

Proud420

@Proud420 I get what you're saying but the way @TerpyTyrone is putting it, at least with my understanding, is that if I wired these in series I would need to worry about high voltage. Not sure how 300v is going to come out of a 30v driver.
No you can't do series with your driver
High current / low voltage are for parallel
High voltage /low current are for series.

Then you can mix series and parallel like 2 boards in series x 7 in parallel (sometimes noted as s2p7) where the voltage would have to be the forward voltage of 2 boards in series (ie 24V x 2 = 48V) but you would have to supply only half of the current.
If you put all your 14 boards together in series you would reach a forward voltage of (24V x14 boards =336V) and supply only 1.4/1.8 A but this would need another driver.

Before considering the limitations of the wago insulation you should be worried about your home insurance, I recently read something about a 50V limit for diy appliances, over that it seems it would be considered unsafe and void any insurance in case of fire for example.

Here is quick video about LED and drivers.

Proud420

I get that. What I was saying is the power supply is the deciding factor of the voltage. Feeding 48V to a 24V strip will fry it because the strip won't just take 24 of the 48 volts. The way you worded that is confusing to anyone who doesn't have a basic understanding of electricity.
You don't feed 48V to a LED strip, this is a voltage regulator, you want a current regulator.
You will feed the current you want depending if you want to run your LED hard or soft, the voltage will be the forward Voltage of your strip.

I am sorry about my wording but current/voltage regulator/generator is a common wording for electronic.

Sorry to say so but if you don't understand those terms it is better to stick to ready made diy kits with clear assembly instructions.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
You don't feed 48V to a LED strip, this is a voltage regulator, you want a current regulator.
You will feed the current you want depending if you want to run your LED hard or soft, the voltage will be the forward Voltage of your strip.

I am sorry about my wording but current/voltage regulator/generator is a common wording for electronic.

Sorry to say so but if you don't understand those terms it is better to stick to ready made diy kits with clear assembly instructions.
You are aware that LED drivers come in two variations, right? They come in constant current and constant voltage variations.

Proud420

You are aware that LED drivers come in two variations, right? They come in constant current and constant voltage variations.
Yes I know, have you read the whole article where they explain which one you need?
The strips posted on the first page clearly state the current they need so you need a current generator.

The strips which needs a voltage generator will have some current limitation resistors mounted on them:

1597249061209.png
1597249107669.png

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Yes I know, have you read the whole article where they explain which one you need?
The strips posted on the first page clearly state the current they need so you need a current generator.

The strips which needs a voltage generator will have some current limitation resistors mounted on them:

View attachment 68088
View attachment 68089
Yes, I do understand this. What you are failing to grasp is people wouldn't be asking for help here if they understood all of this. Can't you tell by the other replies to your posts that you are confusing them?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Ok, so I let you explain ! Bye guys, you are in good hands
Come on, man, I'm just trying to help you understand that the way you were explaining it was confusing to some of the people here and why. If I felt comfortable giving advice on building LED setups then I would, but I don't want to steer anyone down the wrong path by telling them to wire something up they don't fully understand. I have no problem building my own but being able to fully explain it to someone without risking their property is an entirely different level.

Streetpro09

Tester
@Proud420 all of what you're saying makes sense but you're missing the point I'm trying to make. @TerpyTyrone said that I needed to worry about high voltage because if I wire these in series that the voltage adds up. Like somehow there is going to be more voltage out of the 30v driver.

That is no way the case if I'm understanding what you are saying and I understood previously and that is resistance adds up in a series circuit thus requiring more voltage to drive the circuit. Thus requiring a whole different driver. One that puts out, from your math, 336v.

So I guess my final point would be why did terp make it sound like this is some big worry if I happened to wire them totally incorrect way. That I needed to worry about 300v.

Streetpro09

Tester
I'm pretty sure if I wired these all in series they wouldn't be very bright. Or it would put too large of a current draw on the driver and burn it up. Not sure and that's why I started this thread.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
You're good @Streetpro09, your understanding is correct. You need to wire in parallel, no concern about the voltage carrying forward. It's good to understand the differences, and it sounds like you have a handle on it.

I think everyone was genuinely trying to give solid advice and information, just started stepping on each others toes. It happens.

Proud420

@Proud420 all of what you're saying makes sense but you're missing the point I'm trying to make. @TerpyTyrone said that I needed to worry about high voltage because if I wire these in series that the voltage adds up. Like somehow there is going to be more voltage out of the 30v driver.

That is no way the case if I'm understanding what you are saying and I understood previously and that is resistance adds up in a series circuit thus requiring more voltage to drive the circuit. Thus requiring a whole different driver. One that puts out, from your math, 336v.

So I guess my final point would be why did terp make it sound like this is some big worry if I happened to wire them totally incorrect way. That I needed to worry about 300v.
No problem, you should have no problem if you follow the schematics you received from the seller.
Just be sure to always connect the DC/Load side (the LEDs) first and the the AC plug and the opposite when you want to disconnect : first the AC plug, wait a minute to let any charged capacitor discharge and then disconnect the LED side.