leaking grommet help!

Bruno8437

Super Active Member
but your missing the part about the em1 man, that's my concern, I've got no clue what it can or can't eat through, to make the super glue disappear it's gotta be able to eat through some things, I'm thinking about just trying the most expensive shit, then duck taping it to hell. if that don't work, then I'll have to try and drill it out, or one of the other ideas, this thing is massive! 2 plants and should yield me close to 2 pounds I'm hoping! so not going to mess it up
The super glue is a cyanoacrylate adhesive. They don't do so well in constant wet environments. Silicone is pretty inert and will hold up when cured. The EM-1 is lactobacillus and shouldn't do anything to the cured silicone. Silicone tubing and gaskets are used in biotech all the time.

I would get some sandpaper and scuff up the tote around the grommet to so the silicone can get a better bite.

Green_256

What's a SIP?
The super glue is a cyanoacrylate adhesive. They don't do so well in constant wet environments. Silicone is pretty inert and will hold up when cured. The EM-1 is lactobacillus and shouldn't do anything to the cured silicone. Silicone tubing and gaskets are used in biotech all the time.

I would get some sandpaper and scuff up the tote around the grommet to so the silicone can get a better bite.
ok, well to be honest, you sound like you know what your saying, so what do I have to lose! lol I'll go grab a small thing of silicone in the morning, can u recommend a certain kind? or just look for silicone? also my bad, to be clear it was hot glue, and not super glue, lol but still thanks man. and thank you to everyone, I appreciate all the feed back!

Bruno8437

Super Active Member
I think getting the silicone or anything to stick to the tote is going to be the problem. I'm guessing that the tote in your picture is polyethylene which is difficult to bond. I did find an article about caulking to polethylene on some marine site and they suggest flame treating the polyethylene before laying down your caulk. No need to go full blow torch on it just hit it with the lighter to knock some of the gloss off. This oxidizes the surface and allows for a better bond.

Polyethylene derives many of its best characteristics from its completely inert character. Complete chemical resistance makes it a great choice for tanks, including gasoline, potable water, and holding tanks. There is nothing to leach from the plastic, since plasticizers (phthalates) are not used. Ultra-violet resistance is reasonably good when treated with UV inhibitors. It is completely resistant to corrosion, and it is easy to machine. The downsides are that polyethylene creeps under sustained load and it cracks—making it no good for backing plates and most structural applications. Also, it can only be reliably bonded by thermo-welding. Although Sudbury and some other companies have developed sealants specifically for sealing polyethylene, most adhesives and caulks will not work with the material. This is why the tips of caulking guns are polyethylene; even un-cured caulk barely sticks.

But there is a partial solution to using an adhesive sealant with polyethylene. While the chemistry of polyethylene is stable, it will burn. If exposed to flame, the surface layer undergoes chemical changes that dramatically improve bonding. In what is known as flame treatment, a propane torch is played across the surface of the plastic until the appearance changes from reflective to dull. It is important not to overheat as the material will melt. You need just enough heat to take away the shine. A more certain way to judge the effectiveness of the treatment is to pour a little water on the surface. If the water beaded instantly, bonding will still be difficult. However, if the water sheets out for at least a few seconds, as it would on a well-prepared fiberglass or metal surface, it should hold a bond.

The low-strength elastometric sealant from Sudbury best adhered to polyethylene and aluminum after the polyethylene was heated.

How strong is this bond? In our testing, we found the shear strength of the bond on a heat-treated piece of polyethylene to be about 2-3 times stronger than an untreated sheet. For example, the shear strength of the bond on a 30-square inch Starboard winch pad was about 900 pounds. With treatment, the bond held to about about 2,400 pounds. The pad sits beneath a winch with a maximum working load 1,753 pounds; this load is shared with the deck via the bolts. Thus, without flame treatment it is plausible that the pad will shift causing a leak, but that with treatment it probably hold tight. Not enough for true structural bonding, like epoxy to fiberglass, but enough to make bedding considerably more secure.

Source: https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Tips-for-Caulking-Polyethylene-12115-1.html

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I think getting the silicone or anything to stick to the tote is going to be the problem. I'm guessing that the tote in your picture is polyethylene which is difficult to bond. I did find an article about caulking to polethylene on some marine site and they suggest flame treating the polyethylene before laying down your caulk. No need to go full blow torch on it just hit it with the lighter to knock some of the gloss off. This oxidizes the surface and allows for a better bond.

Polyethylene derives many of its best characteristics from its completely inert character. Complete chemical resistance makes it a great choice for tanks, including gasoline, potable water, and holding tanks. There is nothing to leach from the plastic, since plasticizers (phthalates) are not used. Ultra-violet resistance is reasonably good when treated with UV inhibitors. It is completely resistant to corrosion, and it is easy to machine. The downsides are that polyethylene creeps under sustained load and it cracks—making it no good for backing plates and most structural applications. Also, it can only be reliably bonded by thermo-welding. Although Sudbury and some other companies have developed sealants specifically for sealing polyethylene, most adhesives and caulks will not work with the material. This is why the tips of caulking guns are polyethylene; even un-cured caulk barely sticks.

But there is a partial solution to using an adhesive sealant with polyethylene. While the chemistry of polyethylene is stable, it will burn. If exposed to flame, the surface layer undergoes chemical changes that dramatically improve bonding. In what is known as flame treatment, a propane torch is played across the surface of the plastic until the appearance changes from reflective to dull. It is important not to overheat as the material will melt. You need just enough heat to take away the shine. A more certain way to judge the effectiveness of the treatment is to pour a little water on the surface. If the water beaded instantly, bonding will still be difficult. However, if the water sheets out for at least a few seconds, as it would on a well-prepared fiberglass or metal surface, it should hold a bond.

The low-strength elastometric sealant from Sudbury best adhered to polyethylene and aluminum after the polyethylene was heated.

How strong is this bond? In our testing, we found the shear strength of the bond on a heat-treated piece of polyethylene to be about 2-3 times stronger than an untreated sheet. For example, the shear strength of the bond on a 30-square inch Starboard winch pad was about 900 pounds. With treatment, the bond held to about about 2,400 pounds. The pad sits beneath a winch with a maximum working load 1,753 pounds; this load is shared with the deck via the bolts. Thus, without flame treatment it is plausible that the pad will shift causing a leak, but that with treatment it probably hold tight. Not enough for true structural bonding, like epoxy to fiberglass, but enough to make bedding considerably more secure.

Source: https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Tips-for-Caulking-Polyethylene-12115-1.html
Excellent info @Bruno. The knowledge here is incredible.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
yeah can you believe it, yes I'm in the hydro section! lol

this is kinda hydro related, so I was hoping I might get the best help here!

I have a major leak, pictured below, it's how I measure how much water is in my rez, well it obviously leaks! and bad! holds around 10 gallons of water. so as you can imagine, this is a major issue!

so just a tad bit of info you should know, I use em-1 in my rez, I know first hand that em1, has eaten through hot glue in the past!!!

so I'm looking for ways to seal her up! hot glue isn't an option, hopefully one of you guys may have some in site for me!

thanks a ton!!!
View attachment 4868
Silicon it.

In my old set-up I had 3" grommets and the floor was uneven. Silicon became my best friend.

Green_256

What's a SIP?
just wanted to say thanks and share the outcome!

I used the silicone idea, it worked amazing! it's still holding up just fine, basically just smeared it to hell all around the grommet! so far the em1 has not affected it, and everything is holding strong!

so thanks for help everyone, everything is good! here's what I used...CM190509-004409001.jpg

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
just wanted to say thanks and share the outcome!

I used the silicone idea, it worked amazing! it's still holding up just fine, basically just smeared it to hell all around the grommet! so far the em1 has not affected it, and everything is holding strong!

so thanks for help everyone, everything is good! here's what I used...View attachment 5888
Haha I just used some about half an hour ago, same exact stuff on a similar application

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
ok, well to be honest, you sound like you know what your saying, so what do I have to lose! lol I'll go grab a small thing of silicone in the morning, can u recommend a certain kind? or just look for silicone? also my bad, to be clear it was hot glue, and not super glue, lol but still thanks man. and thank you to everyone, I appreciate all the feed back!

I used regular silicone. Not the cheap shit either because its garbage but the tubes that are around $6 a tube. I also scuffed around the tote and the rubber seal for it to grip something.
I've used it on leaky seals from 1/2 in diameter all the way to 3". Uniseals still leak after inserting pipe, so tough going in I put some wd40 on the pipe to help it slide in but would bust the totes it would be so hard. And they still leaked.
So siliconed it and didn't have a problem since.

Took me like 5 minutes to look at the leak and drain the tubs, scuff and silicon. couple hrs later your good to go.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Any thoughts as to how you are going to redrill that hole
I have done that before. I used an old plastic piece on the outside of the hole I'm gonna drill bigger. Used my left hand to hold it against the tote and right hand to run the drill with the hole saw. All I did was run the drill backwards after I already drilled the hole through the plastic piece. After I started drilling backwards with the hole saw (does better job cutting plastic that way) I let go of the plastic piece. Before you know it you got a new bigger hole.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Here you go @Green_256 it's what I used instead of a grommet. Will stick to anything. Lol whether it's wet or dry. Do a light sanding around hole to let it grip the plastic a bit better, and you'll be golden.
View attachment 4981View attachment 4982View attachment 4983
I use the em1 also, and it's fine with it, doesn't eat it or degrade it. It's strong shit. Lol.
I made the hole snug, put tip of goo gun in and did a rim job with the sealant, then put tube in slightly, did a ring of goo around tube and pushed it in a half inch to an inch. Put a bit more on around the tube and hole. Sealed perfect, no leaks, been that way awhile now. Also used it for this water res also to seal the tubing in the holes.
View attachment 4984
6 months plus on the res sealing, and 1 month in the em1 sip. It holds up to the acidity just fine.
Got it at Lowe's or depot, don't remember for sure.
It's def worth the $8 A tube.

Is that a 1" tube your using? I'm assuming that your moving water through all them buckets? How you keep roots from stopping up the tubes?