I build lights

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Thanks I am firmly in the UV camp and use 4 ft tubes. I run mine for 3 hours then off for 2 and on for 3 more. Run mine for a year then change them out.
You use Solacure? An old buddy of mine used to run those, he got his plants acclimated to UV from seedling and ran his Solacure lamps with his regular lighting.

His plants were small but his weed had legs for days...

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I'd like to push that up to 2.7 if I can without making it so expensive that it isn't worth it. That extra 10% makes a difference over time.
The more lights you can run together the better your efficacy will be. I can run 12 Veros on a 240-2100mA and each will be between 5 and 600mA and get high efficiency with the COBs and really good spread. Close to 200 lumens. Now if you run the strips that way(16 strips), 500mA. Off the top of my head, you should be close to 2.7 microjoules/sec or maybe more. Those 301B/301H's are the best diodes on the market. It's all about how much you want to spend. CREE is right there with them.
I made a Chinese strip light and got 1000 Par at 6" with 300 watts in a 2 x 4'. There are so many ways to build lights, leaves it to your imagination anymore. I like my lights adjustable from spread to intensity. All these lights from COBs, QB's and strips have their place in the garden.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
For about 3 years now I have been running them. Started with one tent of them and it only took one grow and I put them in all of them
I got mine very early in the game and there wasn't much testing with UV back then.
There was the Reptisun 10.0 UVB and AgroMax Pure UV 75%UVB and 25% UVA.
I have both in 4' 54watt T5's
The spectral curve of AgroMax, if reversed 25 and 75% would get you closer to the natural wave of the sun.
Does that make sense?
I don't wanna talk shit on the company, they were trying.
If I was gonna seriously use either of these, I would raise it as high as I could, maybe to the ceiling.
I think 2 is a might much for a 4 x 4, tent. That's 108 watts of pure UV, roughly 25% of total watts of your system. I would imagine we want to get to the point we don't have to turn them on and off. We wanna mimic the sun as much as possible.
And the "Moon",
for its phases dictates through water molecules, certain aspects of life, including plants. lol

Last edited:

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
The more lights you can run together the better your efficacy will be. I can run 12 Veros on a 240-2100mA and each will be between 5 and 600mA and get high efficiency with the COBs and really good spread. Close to 200 lumens. Now if you run the strips that way(16 strips), 500mA. Off the top of my head, you should be close to 2.7 microjoules/sec or maybe more. Those 301B/301H's are the best diodes on the market. It's all about how much you want to spend. CREE is right there with them.
I made a Chinese strip light and got 1000 Par at 6" with 300 watts in a 2 x 4'. There are so many ways to build lights, leaves it to your imagination anymore. I like my lights adjustable from spread to intensity. All these lights from COBs, QB's and strips have their place in the garden.
Right, so my interest is in finding a combination that provides high efficiency at the lowest possible cost and with the right configuration.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I know most of you have seen these graphs.
It's the UV absorption and what % ratios is best from 300 to 400nm that should be discussed in our forum.
Seems a lot of these potcasters from youtube channels discuss a lot we discuss after we discuss them amongst our members.
So remember, you heard it here first, yet not one of them has plugged this forum about where their info came from. lol
We are definitely the leaders when it comes to the best info. par_light_mccree_curve.jpgcolar-temp.jpgfile.jpg

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I'm all about it! Good shit 👍
I've been building my own shit for quite a few years and there's always more to learn, especially in the led technology. There's only a small difference between 561's and the 301 diodes. It's like 240 watts of 301b's to 250 watts of 561". So technology is making smalls bites at a time at the moment.
I think there is potential to get 5 and 6 micromoles/sec in the future.
There will come a point where a plant will be grown with little to no light also.
And Kelvins has little benefit to plant growth. It's not what we think.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I'm all about it! Good shit 👍
In grow off competitions, Agromax pure UV didn't do as well as Solacure. Elsewhere, I've read that the plants do at least as well with UVA as they do with UVB.

My own (unsubstantiated) suspicion is that lamps roughly emulating the ratio of UVA and UVB of sunlight will prove to be most effective and least likely to fry the plants.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
In grow off competitions, Agromax pure UV didn't do as well as Solacure. Elsewhere, I've read that the plants do at least as well with UVA as they do with UVB.

My own (unsubstantiated) suspicion is that lamps roughly emulating the ratio of UVA and UVB of sunlight will prove to be most effective and least likely to fry the plants.
AgroMax lamps are strong and probably should be mounted a little higher. I never seen a height recommendation on their website. They make some veg and UV too.
Yes, I believe plants use the total spectrum. There is a jump in Chlorophyll A and B in that 300 to 365nm, so it's important to have, but in what amounts? Like 660 photo reds and 730 Far reds has to be in a certain ratio without causing a reverse reaction.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Yes, I believe plants use the total spectrum. There is a jump in Chlorophyll A and B in that 300 to 365nm, so it's important to have, but in what amounts? Like 660 photo reds and 730 Far reds has to be in a certain ratio without causing a reverse reaction.
That's 400-465nm for chlorophyll response.

The 300-365 range is UVB and UVA.

I think you're on to something; the stuff I've seen shows that plants respond better to higher CRI lights.