How to Max out a 4x4?

LoudCountryBAMF

So, ive got a 4x4 that has some clones and junk in there, but nothing worth keeping keeping, so im going to clear it out and start from scratch.

I would like yalls advice on how to maximize my 4x4.

I use coco and perlite. When ready to flower, I usually use 5 gal buckets on top of a stand and a drain catch under the stand. I can comfortably get 4 of those in a 4x4. But i have a feeling, that is going to need to go out the window.

Whatever solution we can come up with, it definitely has to be auto watered...

As far as coco goes, well i like it better than soil because i feel i have more control, but again, im not opposed to trying soil again, and honestly, i may do a living soil,..

But im all ears! What ya got?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
So, ive got a 4x4 that has some clones and junk in there, but nothing worth keeping keeping, so im going to clear it out and start from scratch.

I would like yalls advice on how to maximize my 4x4.

I use coco and perlite. When ready to flower, I usually use 5 gal buckets on top of a stand and a drain catch under the stand. I can comfortably get 4 of those in a 4x4. But i have a feeling, that is going to need to go out the window.

Whatever solution we can come up with, it definitely has to be auto watered...

As far as coco goes, well i like it better than soil because i feel i have more control, but again, im not opposed to trying soil again, and honestly, i may do a living soil,..

But im all ears! What ya got?
The permutations, combinations and opinions are endless.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For me the "best" way for a variety of personal smoke for the friends and fam is to keep it on 12/12 and have flowers going all the time. Different stages of ripeness.

If you just have the one tent, plan on it being full at the end, not the beginning ;)

I can flower out a plant in a 1x1 space. So for me the 3x3 tent is a 9 plant max. Your 4x4 would be 16. That's for 3 gallon pots. If you have 4-6 tops per plant you can contain them in the pot diameter. So of a pot fits, the plant fits. Bigger pots you'll get bigger plants, so it still works the same.

LoudCountryBAMF

That would all depend on what your definition of "max out" is. What is the end game?
Okay, hmm. Well, at first, i would like to run about 6-10 seeds and find something worth keeping, then I would like to produce the most weight possible, probably with clones i guess. I think sog would probably be the way to do that, but hmmmm thats a good question.

Well thats where i want to start, so i guess i asking how to optimize my space for x number of seeds...what would be the optimal combination for getting something decent from the plant and utilizing the 4x4. I know how to do that with 4 plants, but what about 6, 8, 10. Is such high a nunber recommended? @h.a.f talked about 9plants in a 3x3 pumping out a pound every 3months....

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Id depends on whether you want s mall number of monster plants or a sea of green. When I want to max out my tent I do a long (6-8 week) veg cycle and train the plants to grow out wide to fill the tent. This is four OG Kush plants at 8 weeks in my 4x4 under my old shit lights. Probably would've been closer to 6 weeks under my current lights, though.

1792435_ilgm-og-kush-fem-grow-journal-by-treefarmercharlieilgmog-kush-fem.jpg

1792429_ilgm-og-kush-fem-grow-journal-by-treefarmercharlieilgmog-kush-fem.jpg

LoudCountryBAMF

For me the "best" way for a variety of personal smoke for the friends and fam is to keep it on 12/12 and have flowers going all the time. Different stages of ripeness.

If you just have the one tent, plan on it being full at the end, not the beginning ;)

I can flower out a plant in a 1x1 space. So for me the 3x3 tent is a 9 plant max. Your 4x4 would be 16. That's for 3 gallon pots. If you have 4-6 tops per plant you can contain them in the pot diameter. So of a pot fits, the plant fits. Bigger pots you'll get bigger plants, so it still works the same.
So you top at 4th node? , get three sets of branches and grow out to pot diameter and then flower?
I could see that working...
Ha, and then blumat....hmmm.. that sounds interesting..... and how much would one of these smaller plants yield?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So you top at 4th node? ,
I hate "node count" because everyone does it different.
1-coty's
2-seed leaves (single blade)
3-3-toed node (usually)
4-First true leaf.

I never keep from node 1 or 2.
Node 3 Is usually a keeper unless one side is runty. then they both go.
Node 4 is either the top or bottom pair of limbs I keep. Topping is usually between node 4-5 or 5-6, just keeping 4 limbs.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
this is a 3.5' x 3.5'
These are done stretching - all different strains, 2 different flip dates. All but the clone shrub in the back corner started out like the one above, and had a total of 4 weeks veg. Roughly 2-3 feet tall, easy to manage and re-arrange based on height. Main thing is that if there are issues, or if I get a herm since I run a lot of testers, culling is not a heartbreak and a do-over. I'll get 4 fat tops per plant, and each limb will dry out to about a half bag on average. Not really a lot per plant (~2oz) but after the first few runs managing the stash starts to be a thing.
IMG_3687.JPG

LoudCountryBAMF

this is a 3.5' x 3.5'
These are done stretching - all different strains, 2 different flip dates. All but the clone shrub in the back corner started out like the one above, and had a total of 4 weeks veg. Roughly 2-3 feet tall, easy to manage and re-arrange based on height. Main thing is that if there are issues, or if I get a herm since I run a lot of testers, culling is not a heartbreak and a do-over. I'll get 4 fat tops per plant, and each limb will dry out to about a half bag on average. Not really a lot per plant (~2oz) but after the first few runs managing the stash starts to be a thing.
View attachment 89338
That.....is.....fucking.....perfect 👌 👌.
Those are three gal bags?

sooooo... im gonna pop 12 beans tonight!!!

Think i could get away with 1 gal coco ebb and flow?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
1-coty's
2-seed leaves (single blade)
3-3-toed node (usually)
4-First true leaf.

I never keep from node 1 or 2.
Node 3 Is usually a keeper unless one side is runty. then they both go.
Node 4 is either the top or bottom pair of limbs I keep. Topping is usually between node 4-5 or 5-6, just keeping 4 limbs.
Why would anyone count cotyledons as a node? A node is where the branches form so the first node is the first set of true leaves.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Why would anyone count cotyledons as a node? A node is where the branches form so the first node is the first set of true leaves.
I have had sprouts come out of the coty-node. A node is a juncture in the main stem where *something* forms. Depends on who you read.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have had sprouts come out of the coty-node. A node is a juncture in the main stem where *something* forms. Depends on who you read.
Maybe we should just call them first real nodes. A node coming out between the cotyledons and the first set of true leaves is probably more of a mutation than anything. It’s definitely not common. I personally top just above the 2nd node from the first set of multi-fingered leaves.

LoudCountryBAMF

this is a 3.5' x 3.5'
View attachment 89338
How tall would you say those plants in the back arr?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Maybe we should just call them first real nodes. A node coming out between the cotyledons and the first set of true leaves is probably more of a mutation than anything. It’s definitely not common. I personally top just above the 2nd node from the first set of multi-fingered leaves.
Which is why I'll refer you to the original statement - and why I used pics

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The coty's are the 'node' that the seed-leaves sprout from, the seed-leaves are a node that the next set sprout from - etc. I took biology and a semester of horticulture as a filler.