Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

SneezeWhenIP

Cool glad it helped (y)
Hey so just to be sure here, near the end of the list where you drop the $ symbol, is this just a recap of the pvc parts from above and it's a reference as to what those parts assemble? I believe that's what it is, so I don't need to add this cost on top...I'm durpin lol
Annotation 2019-09-22 091924.png

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hey so just to be sure here, near the end of the list where you drop the $ symbol, is this just a recap of the pvc parts from above and it's a reference as to what those parts assemble? I believe that's what it is, so I don't need to add this cost on top...I'm durpin lol
View attachment 22849
Yes that's correct, and where they fit in the system. I think that list is missing the 4" pieces on the back end where the T-root runner attaches to the buckets.
Some of the parts that I initially thought to leave out, such as the drum for RO water, have been such time savers and pay for themselves.

SneezeWhenIP

Good evening all, another question here and sorry if this got answered somewhere already, I'm sure it did!

We already have a 300GPH pump we can use but it looks like for a 4 bucket system we'll need at least a 480, correct? So long as that solution is getting circulated then isn't that all that matters? Why do we need a bigger pump?

Is the mag-drive worth it?

Thank you in advance!

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Good evening all, another question here and sorry if this got answered somewhere already, I'm sure it did!

We already have a 300GPH pump we can use but it looks like for a 4 bucket system we'll need at least a 480, correct? So long as that solution is getting circulated then isn't that all that matters? Why do we need a bigger pump?

Is the mag-drive worth it?

Thank you in advance!
I ran a 400GPH in a 4 bucket (5 with epi) and it did fine. It also depends on the brand of pump, some are rated higher than they really are. I am currently running a 400GPH Active Aqua in a 6 bucket (7 with epi) and it is doing ok, but I can definitely tell the difference with 2 more buckets. Will likely upgrade when I can. Just make sure that you have a good air pump and air stones because if the water pump ever fails your plants can still do ok in regular DWC until you get the water pump replaced.

SneezeWhenIP

I ran a 400GPH in a 4 bucket (5 with epi) and it did fine. It also depends on the brand of pump, some are rated higher than they really are. I am currently running a 400GPH Active Aqua in a 6 bucket (7 with epi) and it is doing ok, but I can definitely tell the difference with 2 more buckets. Will likely upgrade when I can. Just make sure that you have a good air pump and air stones because if the water pump ever fails your plants can still do ok in regular DWC until you get the water pump replaced.
What's "inadequate" though when you go smaller? Will it not do it's job? Will water not pull from one bucket to the next still? How small is too small for a 5 bucket system?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
What's "inadequate" though when you go smaller? Will it not do it's job? Will water not pull from one bucket to the next still? How small is too small for a 5 bucket system?
It won't be able to prime the pump and move the water. If using Active Aqua brand as an example, the 250gph would be too small for a 5 bucket system.

Eric413

It won't be able to prime the pump and move the water. If using Active Aqua brand as an example, the 250gph would be too small for a 5 bucket system.
I'm confused cause I watched heisens video and he used a 275gph pump on a 12 bucket system so I bought a 350gph water pump and thought it was too much.

Eric413

@Heisenbeans on ur veg starter 2 tubs that are connected with 6 plants in each tub. Do u use a long runner off the tub roots clogging like the 12 bucket system? And could i use a 3/4 bulkhead and runner off the tub cause that's the hose size? or still have to use 1-1/2 bulkhead and long runner then downsize. Wasn't sure if the roots even got that long to clog it before u put in the 12 bucket system. Couldn't see the other side in ur video.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I'm confused cause I watched heisens video and he used a 275gph pump on a 12 bucket system so I bought a 350gph water pump and thought it was too much.
I use a active aqua 400 gph pump on my 4 bucket system with res. My buckets are 8 gallon ez store buckets instead of 5 gallon. The rule of thumb is depending on the pump height is 1/2 the rated GPH for the pump in Aquarium use. I would say 2/3 for RDWC.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
What brand was it? Some are better than others. I definitely think I could use more than the Active Aqua 400gph for 6 buckets. Also if you look at the written part of the tutorial, he mentions 450gph minimum, so IDK.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
What brand was it? Some are better than others. I definitely think I could use more than the Active Aqua 400gph for 6 buckets. Also if you look at the written part of the tutorial, he mentions 450gph minimum, so IDK.
just get a 600 or 1000 and you can always choke it down with valves

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
if the flow is to strong it will probably have a better chance of root clogs in your return pipes
The 400 (a new one at that, the old one is making a buncha noise after one run) is much slower in the 6 bucket vs. 4. I agree with too much flow and clogging the roots. I might end up with a different brand, I hear GH pumps are stronger, but more expensive.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
if the flow is to strong it will probably have a better chance of root clogs in your return pipes
I would recommend a linear air pump for your system. I have a Alita AL-40 for mine a AL-60 would work great for yours. Lots of air is one of the keep factors of a healthy root zone. Don't skimp on the air pump.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I would recommend a linear air pump for your system. I have a Alita AL-40 for mine a AL-60 would work great for yours. Lots of air is one of the keep factors of a healthy root zone. Don't skimp on the air pump.
Thanks I remember you mentioning that a few months ago. I have a very noisy AF Active Aqua (there's that brand again lol) 70L pump. It is less than half the cost, but I can see why the linear is better. I would love to have that quietness. Wish they were a bit cheaper.