Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Cz isn't critical. You can use the other ones you just have to make the hole a little smaller. I actually prefer the other ones honestly over the cz.
Understood. They look real sturdy and the lip looks large. Also a 6" hole saw with arbor and pilot bit is half the price of a 5 1/4" or 5 1/2" hole saw just by itself; trying to save money here and there when I can. All of this adds up real quick! Got 90% of it on the way, can't wait to get started. Thanks again for sharing your experience and making this great tutorial available to us all.

Westbygod

This is a great system. Finally able to fill my tent. Using a Supercloset Superponics system before, trying to grow 2 to 3 plants in 1 reservoir. Worked ok, but 1 plant always did well while other stunted. Finally decided to grow just 1 plant in old system, and had fantastic results. Now have a 4 bucket RDWC system, built from Hesienbubble videos, and have 4 fantastic plants.

Attachments

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
This is a great system. Finally able to fill my tent. Using a Supercloset Superponics system before, trying to grow 2 to 3 plants in 1 reservoir. Worked ok, but 1 plant always did well while other stunted. Finally decided to grow just 1 plant in old system, and had fantastic results. Now have a 4 bucket RDWC system, built from Hesienbubble videos, and have 4 fantastic plants.
That's awesome man

Westbygod

One thing to be careful of, buckets I purchased were square black from Amazon (10 for $95.00). These buckets seem to be brittle, for lack of a better term. I did not get whole for one of the bulkhead fittings cut very well, leaked at fitting. I fixed the problem by cranking the fitting extremely tight. This worked for about a week until bucket cracked at the fitting.

Not sure if buckets are too thin, or I just screwed whole for bulkhead fitting up. Either way, make sure your wholes for your fittings are cut well. Second system built works great, no leaks. Found a great tool to shave the whole to fit. Have a pipe cutter that has an attachment for shaving PVC. Works better than a razor knife for me.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Recipe for eliminating pthogens.

5 gallon bucket
2 air stones
4 gallons of ro water
Good air pump.

Mix 30 ml of hydroguard
1 scoop of great white benneficial bacteria
25 ml of high brix molasses

Put air stones in there and turn on and run for 36 hrs. Should be no molasses smell before you put in your res. Will smell real earthy and be the color of tea.

Add 3 cups per gallon on a new res and 1 cup per gallon every 3 days
Add the same to top off res.
Top feed new plants once every week till things get going.

This has been the only thing that has kept my plant roots healthy and no issues.
Do you run straight RO water and add this along with nutes, or do you buffer your RO somehow? I'm new to hydro and was reading up on it, saw some people suggest adding tap water to RO at 20% to buffer...sounds counter-intuitive?

shimz

vapest
Do you run straight RO water and add this along with nutes, or do you buffer your RO somehow? I'm new to hydro and was reading up on it, saw some people suggest adding tap water to RO at 20% to buffer...sounds counter-intuitive?
That recipe is for benny tea. The tea can't have any chlorine in the mix or it will harm the herd.

Adding tap to RO is to aid in stabilizing a feed water regimen. Straight RO can make your pH drift with certain nutrients. Adding tap helps to buffer the final solution against pH changes.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thanks for that. So basically in the reservoir, put RO water with Benny tea and nutes, check ph and ppm, then run through the system? My tap water smells a bit like chlorine so if I add it back in the mix won't it mess things up? How do I filter out the chlorine without runnong it through the RO system?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
@Heisenbeans how did you get free shipping through ULINE? I tried different options and still got charged (and it's a lot since they use freight and not ground)

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Check out carbon blocking filters. Usually installed ahead of the RO membrane. You might be able to just tee off your existing system.
Thanks I'll check into that. Got any amazon links? So everything else I mentioned above is in good order?

shimz

vapest
Thanks I'll check into that. Got any amazon links? So everything else I mentioned above is in good order?
Yes, looks good, but if you're running bennies and you want to use tap water you either need to treat it with potassium metabisulfite (1/8 tsp/gallon) or filter it out. I dont know what size your filter system is, but the one below will fit a "small boy". Here are the requested links:

Metabite: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O9FB6

GAC filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00974QFKY

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Yes, looks good, but if you're running bennies and you want to use tap water you either need to treat it with potassium metabisulfite (1/8 tsp/gallon) or filter it out. I dont know what size your filter system is, but the one below will fit a "small boy". Here are the requested links:

Metabite: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O9FB6

GAC filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00974QFKY
I have one of these got it for a great price with a chiller, need to replace filters

The gac filter link you gave me - is there one that has a housing that can fit straight off the hose (thinking of doing the tee-off so I can add chlorine filtered tap back into the RO water to buffer it)

shimz

vapest
I have one of these got it for a great price with a chiller, need to replace filters

The gac filter link you gave me - is there one that has a housing that can fit straight off the hose (thinking of doing the tee-off so I can add chlorine filtered tap back into the RO water to buffer it)
I'm sure you could find one, but what you already have will work fine. Just tee off the line between stage 2 and 3 to get GAC filtered water. I would not recommend using the mineral add-back stage. As that stage depletes your pH will drift.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I'm having trouble screwing on the bulkhead nut all the way. The holes are very tight, to the point they bow in the bucket around the hole. Is the hole too tight?

Westbygod

I'm having trouble screwing on the bulkhead nut all the way. The holes are very tight, to the point they bow in the bucket around the hole. Is the hole too tight?
I have had buckets crack because wholes were not cut correctly. I have a plastic shaving tool that is attached to a pipe cutter. makes it easy to enlarge whole and keep it round. Bulkhead should fit snugly, should not have to be forced through the whole.

It will be a long grow if your bucket springs a leak in the middle flower. Hard to change bucket out when plants fill the tent. I had to change out towels twice a day, and went through a bunch of extra nutes.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I used a razor and made the holes bigger. It was more cutting than I thought I would have to do. They fit snug and made a noise when pushing past the threads. These ULINE buckets are pretty tough. One bows in a bit still but the nut is on pretty good. The holes aren't perfectly round and a tiny bit jagged. Hopefully they won't leak. Still have room to tighten nuts a bit more. Do I need to do a test run to see leaks or should I just hand fill each bucket with water?

Westbygod

I used a razor and made the holes bigger. It was more cutting than I thought I would have to do. They fit snug and made a noise when pushing past the threads. These ULINE buckets are pretty tough. One bows in a bit still but the nut is on pretty good. The holes aren't perfectly round and a tiny bit jagged. Hopefully they won't leak. Still have room to tighten nuts a bit more. Do I need to do a test run to see leaks or should I just hand fill each bucket with water?
I would definitely do a test run, use just enough water to cover bulkhead fittings and have the pump pushing water through the system. My first build buckets held water with no pump. Had small leak when I started moving water through system, possibly from moving while assembled. Lot easier to fix if not having to deal with plants and trying to work in my tent.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
If you have any leaky hose fittings, teflon tape can help too. Just wrap it around the male end and then screw the female end onto it.