#Heisenbeans Genetics

quiescent

Super Active Member
We had a discussion the other day about a good way to lower ph.
I was reading and found this,
Cottonseed Meal is useful in a low-pH soil with low-pH requiring plants.
How much could a person lower ph this way? Anyone know?
I was interested in this and googled it: takes 10 lbs of lime to get 100 lbs of meal back to neutral. I'd think it would have to be a pretty large proportion of your amendments to have that kind of an effect since in horticultural soil there is an overabundance of calcium/minerals compared to agriculture.

I have tried to avoid cottonseed meal once I heard what the plant goes through to get to harvest on a large scale. They defoliate the plants chemically to make harvesting/processing easier. This is sprayed on pretty late in the plant's cycle and the seeds might not hold any/much of the chemicals but I dunno if that's something that I want to include in my food web. I'm sure this is the hippy part of me and its a fine thing to add to your soil in the right ratios.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have tried to avoid cottonseed meal once I heard what the plant goes through to get to harvest on a large scale. They defoliate the plants chemically to make harvesting/processing easier. This is sprayed on pretty late in the plant's cycle and the seeds might not hold any/much of the chemicals but I dunno if that's something that I want to include in my food web.
Last words - food web. Cotton - not food - way less restrictions on what can be done to it. Using it in a tomato garden? sure, whatever. I agree not for weed.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I was interested in this and googled it: takes 10 lbs of lime to get 100 lbs of meal back to neutral. I'd think it would have to be a pretty large proportion of your amendments to have that kind of an effect since in horticultural soil there is an overabundance of calcium/minerals compared to agriculture.

I have tried to avoid cottonseed meal once I heard what the plant goes through to get to harvest on a large scale. They defoliate the plants chemically to make harvesting/processing easier. This is sprayed on pretty late in the plant's cycle and the seeds might not hold any/much of the chemicals but I dunno if that's something that I want to include in my food web. I'm sure this is the hippy part of me and its a fine thing to add to your soil in the right ratios.
Great point! I didn't know, why I was asking.
The "food web" should take care of itself once you have the inputs in place.
Nice to see you around @quiescent. I haven't seen you here much.