Germinating very old seeds...skunk #3

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Gibberelic acid can help with old hard seed"...
That's an additive in cloning powders. I tried that too.
I think basically you need to "crack" the seed gently and soak for a couple hrs and then drop in your medium and watch and wait.
Leave them in the dark for a few days before introducing light to them.
I've tried about everything once or twice.
What hurts is when you fuck up 20 and 40 year old seeds from not applying the right technique along with improper storage.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
That's an additive in cloning powders. I tried that too.
I think basically you need to "crack" the seed gently and soak for a couple hrs and then drop in your medium and watch and wait.
Leave them in the dark for a few days before introducing light to them.
I've tried about everything once or twice.
What hurts is when you fuck up 20 and 40 year old seeds from not applying the right technique along with improper storage.
i did store my beans in plastic coke bottles for years, then everyone sent me to school, now my germ rates are much better!(proper storage)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
i did store my beans in plastic coke bottles for years, then everyone sent me to school, now my germ rates are much better!(proper storage)
I hit the realization that I had thousands of dollars worth of seeds. I spent less than $200 on a mini cigar humidor fridge. I only run it at 60F, basically half between room temp and actual fridge. I only open it to add seeds after a purchase or to get some out to drop. It almost never runs.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I was a Union Carpenter and Boilermaker and was on the road a lot and never really worried about my seeds till in the past 10 years or so.
But most are still viable which is a good thing. I have both crispers full and I have an 18 gallon tote of tubes, cans, containers, pill bottles and baggies that's not in the frig. I'm still finding seeds in drawers etc. I could have done better with storage but I don't know what to do with them all.
I've never sold a single seed.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I was a Union Carpenter and Boilermaker and was on the road a lot and never really worried about my seeds till in the past 10 years or so.
But most are still viable which is a good thing. I have both crispers full and I have an 18 gallon tote of tubes, cans, containers, pill bottles and baggies that's not in the frig. I'm still finding seeds in drawers etc. I could have done better with storage but I don't know what to do with them all.
I've never sold a single seed.
about 20 years ago i had a older man, tell me where to go to get to a field he planted.he said up front they were all in bud ,he had topped em with a sickel bar hay mower(he never said what happened to the mower toppings). every thing was only knee high, i took a hoe and limb loppers when the sun came up,i had a eight truck bed full. i was bad busy, all day string from 1 wall to the other(12ft.x65ft.mobile home )and hanging plants,had a total of 18 lbs. of descent smoke ( dryed)all for free just because ,i happened to drive by when he was trying to put a tire on his trailer , and stopped and helped put it on. best labor trade i ever lucked out on.he passed 2 years later.i really thought alot of him,a really good hearted person!@ the time i lived alittle over 1/4 mile from the main road. i could smell the place@ half way up the lane.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have only been doing this since 2016 as far as getting 'bred' seeds. Lots of tester crosses I didn't have room to run all of, some assortments I got in auctions, and stuff I have bought. So I don't have to get into the fridge to do planning it's all on a spreadsheet.

As of today I have 116 strains/crosses of regs and 66 of the fems. There's 355 fem seeds though, so that that many girls to flower.

I'm 56. Doing the math I need to live to a ripe old age to see it all - assuming I didn't get more :oops:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I have only been doing this since 2016 as far as getting 'bred' seeds. Lots of tester crosses I didn't have room to run all of, some assortments I got in auctions, and stuff I have bought. So I don't have to get into the fridge to do planning it's all on a spreadsheet.

As of today I have 116 strains/crosses of regs and 66 of the fems. There's 355 fem seeds though, so that that many girls to flower.

I'm 56. Doing the math I need to live to a ripe old age to see it all - assuming I didn't get more :oops:
Set up for life!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Set up for life!
Which is why I have my 'last' order coming in this week LOL
After seeing the strain I am considering chucking with I snagged a few more 707 crosses with chem in them, and a Pam Anderson F3 since that is supposed to be so unique. All three are things I am thinking about including in the chuck.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
about 20 years ago i had a older man, tell me where to go to get to a field he planted.he said up front they were all in bud ,he had topped em with a sickel bar hay mower(he never said what happened to the mower toppings). every thing was only knee high, i took a hoe and limb loppers when the sun came up,i had a eight truck bed full. i was bad busy, all day string from 1 wall to the other(12ft.x65ft.mobile home )and hanging plants,had a total of 18 lbs. of descent smoke ( dryed)all for free just because ,i happened to drive by when he was trying to put a tire on his trailer , and stopped and helped put it on. best labor trade i ever lucked out on.he passed 2 years later.i really thought alot of him,a really good hearted person!@ the time i lived alittle over 1/4 mile from the main road. i could smell the place@ half way up the lane.
He prolly had all those "tops" and was rushing to get the fuck out of dodge and had a damn flat. He was actually shittin' bullets. Hahaha!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Which is why I have my 'last' order coming in this week LOL
After seeing the strain I am considering chucking with I snagged a few more 707 crosses with chem in them, and a Pam Anderson F3 since that is supposed to be so unique. All three are things I am thinking about including in the chuck.
I need to find someone to will my grow equipment to just in case ,i don't make it to a ripe old age. :(

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

Everything i have fits on 1 page ,with space left at the bottom, for many new additions!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Everything i have fits on 1 page ,with space left at the bottom, for many new additions!
I only have a few "expensive" packs. For the most part I consider spending $10/bean an investment.

I have several in the $100 for a 10-pack variety - or something in that vicinity like 12 or 13 beans, for $80-$120, Same for the 5+packs of fems. That's a drop. But 10 of those is a grand. So investing in now-and-future storage was my goal. The fridge sits on a counter in a workshop, roughly a foot wide and less than two feet tall.

I also place intrensic value on the freebies I get - once I have paid for stuff, it's all free to grow and has the same value. Just because it was included as a gift doesn't mean it's worthless. (some really are though LOL)

But (for example) with Dagga Gardens I spent about $300 on 5 packs. Along with those five I got three freebie packs. Two were a CBG and a CBD - (which is cool to get because I would never pay for them 😂 ) but I also got some legit fire and the two beans I popped led me to prepping for a pollen chuck with some FREEEEEEE 707 Seedbank gear. The pack count adds up exponentially if you buy beans - and don't get me started on Rasta Jeff - bought 5 packs for about the same price andgot 10 packs.

So even with a one sheet seed-bank, if you started now, how long until you get to the end with your current set-up? Then ask how disappointed you'll be if you get to that last few packs and nothing pops? Just food for thought. Fuck I'm high LOL