Germinating very old seeds...skunk #3

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I had 13 year old seeds that I've tried to germinate with no success. I've been trying in vain but know that they were not stored properly (garage for five years in 100°F summers and -30°F winters). I have four left and will be trying out the gibberellic acid when that time comes.

If they were stored properly your success rate will be higher.

What have you tried so far?

I've tried scarification, soaks in H2O2 solutions, bean sprout water, barley sprout water and mild kelp meal teas.

No success but I had a couple tails start. The key is proper storage.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was gifted a pile of 20 year old seeds. He said they were skunk number three, from Amsterdam..which were brought here and grown out and seeded. I tried to start a dozen, but none hatched....what should I try...?
Might want to do a bit of research before wasting your time. There have been podcasts galore about skunk over the past few years, and every version offered in seedbanks and why they may but probably don't have the skunky smells people were looking for. In all of those I have never heard of Skunk #3. I don't know everything but like Skynyrd says "I know a little... and baby I can guess the rest"

If you're wondering, I hit the end of the internet last week and am now just absorbing new content. :unsure::cool:😜

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I get about a 30% sprout on 20 year old Skunk seeds. The seed shell becomes so hard, they won't absorb the water. I just stick them in my mouth and drop the saliva covered seed in the planting medium and hope for the best anymore. lol
There is something about your saliva that helps the seed to start.
But it's "bro-science of course. lol

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I get about a 30% sprout on 20 year old Skunk seeds. The seed shell becomes so hard, they won't absorb the water. I just stick them in my mouth and drop the saliva covered seed in the planting medium and hope for the best anymore. lol
I like the idea.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Mom spit on a kleenex is the universal solvent. bloody knees to a dirty face - workd for everything. Probably antisceptic too ;)

Dondell

I thought you were bullshittin' me...then I looked at your skunk project.....haha. Tremendous!!! I need that old school skunk.

Dondell

Might want to do a bit of research before wasting your time. There have been podcasts galore about skunk over the past few years, and every version offered in seedbanks and why they may but probably don't have the skunky smells people were looking for. In all of those I have never heard of Skunk #3. I don't know everything but like Skynyrd says "I know a little... and baby I can guess the rest"

If you're wondering, I hit the end of the internet last week and am now just absorbing new content. :unsure::cool:😜
Yea...I'm with you...never heard of skunk number three... I need a new strain, to get me excited again....bored of the same old stuff....

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Some will take 2 weeks to sprout. Just have to keep them barely moist after planting and wait. I have a lot I gave up on that sprouted a couple weeks later. I really don't know what the answer is to getting them to sprout consistently, but good luck and never give up. It turns out to be well worth the effort.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I forgot to say, it's only taken me 4 years of dropping these old to find this one special specimen I had this past summer.
There was a Skunk 3x2a that might be what @Dondell is talking about. You can go to seedfinder and view all the Skunks that were produced. I had purchased Skunk from so many different breeders back in the day and I combined and bred them all together over the years without any outside influence. Todays Skunk is a watered down version with tiny traces of that original 80's type Skunk. It's almost been lost to history if it weren't for people like me that bred specifically for that stench everyone is looking for today.
I expected Kevin Jodrey would have this profile but he has never came out and said he found it so I don't know now.
I offered my whole seed collection for 20 grand and no one wanted to take that chance to find this rare terp profile.
It's the terps that steers and drives the affects of cannabis, not the THC content. THC is crammed in the "back seat" and enjoys the ride.
Everyone has been fooled in believing THC is in the drivers seat.
Just my "bro science" opinion. I don't put much faith in "trust the science" after what we all have went through in the past couple "virus" years.

Last edited:

Dondell

I forgot to say, it's only taken me 4 years of dropping these old to find this one special specimen I had this past summer.
There was a Skunk 3x2a that might be what @Dondell is talking about. You can go to seedfinder and view all the Skunks that were produced. I had purchased Skunk from so many different breeders back in the day and I combined and bred them all together over the years without any outside influence. Todays Skunk is a watered down version with tiny traces of that original 80's type Skunk. It's almost been lost to history if it weren't for people like me that bred specifically for that stench everyone is looking for today.
I expected Kevin Jodrey would have this profile but he has never came out and said he found it so I don't know now.
I offered my whole seed collection for 20 grand and no one wanted to take that chance to find this rare terp profile.
It's the terps that steers and drives the affects of cannabis, not the THC content. THC is crammed in the "back seat" and enjoys the ride.
Everyone has been fooled in believing THC is in the drivers seat.
Just my "bro science" opinion. I don't put much faith in "trust the science" after what we all have went through in the past couple "virus" years.
I may have been too impatient...gave up too soon. Next round, I will let them go longer..............."nothing is true, everything is permitted"...I kinda trust science, its the scientists that have me wondering what is true....

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Seed cracker

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Seed cracker
If you have a dial micrometer in the toolbox you can rig a seed-holder on it and it moves at such small increments that it's hard to hurt the bean