Fungus gnats

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I rotate my pots/dirt and it's a new fight every new grow it seems. The bits and dunks are a diff type of BT than Thuricide. The former being for "fly" types and the latter for "worm" types. That's why I use both, buried bits and thuricide in the water. It's been damn effective for me.
Btw, will ladybugs eat these gnats?

Eye4Eye

I rotate my pots/dirt and it's a new fight every new grow it seems. The bits and dunks are a diff type of BT than Thuricide. The former being for "fly" types and the latter for "worm" types. That's why I use both, buried bits and thuricide in the water. It's been damn effective for me.
Btw, will ladybugs eat these gnats?
They love em. It's like potato chips to them...lol

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Were you able to get treatment on the roots at the bottom of the pot where the drain holes are. That is where they live. From my understanding.
No holes (cloth pots) but i was able to get a good soil saturation this time unlike the radicle bags.
I go for broke now and crumble the dunks right in the coco and Perlite when there mixed. Still got a few so I also top dress to idk There resilent little shits.
I hate those furry little basterds. LOL

realpromedz

Wise Old Man
the bits are for quick kill, 24-48 hrs they last. does anyone read the labels lol the dunks last longer 30 days so little misunderstanding from some here about them! but tbh im gonna try what dog said i cant stand fucking gnats!

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
the bits are for quick kill, 24-48 hrs they last. does anyone read the labels lol the dunks last longer 30 days so little misunderstanding from some here about them! but tbh im gonna try what dog said i cant stand fucking gnats!
I have read the labels, lol. Since you read the label, you can break down the various coverages between the two, right? What's the re-application rate on the bits? Did the label mention mixing the dunks or the bits in the potting soil? It did mention one. Lifespan of BT?? was that on the label? No it wasn't. Do you think the BT has a different longevity depending on your choice of bits or dunks? It's a bacteria, it doesn't care what it's on. Does the label talk about breaking up the dunks and sprinkling them on the soil?

Basically, the label talks about a quick kill based on broadcasting bits in water, versus the dunks sitting in water. Summit only has one kind of BT but they would like to sell us more than one product, kinda like a 1-2 punch. Hit it with the bits for the quick knock down, then the dunks. That's company-speak...it's a bacteria that has a half life of days on the soil surface and a half life of 3-4 months buried. The bacteria never got the memo about the 24-48 hour thing, they are just being bacteria.

I read the label(s) :D

realpromedz

Wise Old Man
I have read the labels, lol. Since you read the label, you can break down the various coverages between the two, right? What's the re-application rate on the bits? Did the label mention mixing the dunks or the bits in the potting soil? It did mention one. Lifespan of BT?? was that on the label? No it wasn't. Do you think the BT has a different longevity depending on your choice of bits or dunks? It's a bacteria, it doesn't care what it's on. Does the label talk about breaking up the dunks and sprinkling them on the soil?

Basically, the label talks about a quick kill based on broadcasting bits in water, versus the dunks sitting in water. Summit only has one kind of BT but they would like to sell us more than one product, kinda like a 1-2 punch. Hit it with the bits for the quick knock down, then the dunks. That's company-speak...it's a bacteria that has a half life of days on the soil surface and a half life of 3-4 months buried. The bacteria never got the memo about the 24-48 hour thing, they are just being bacteria.

I read the label(s) :D
Because Dunks and Bits are made from the same ingredients, they work similarly. You put them in the water, and they float and dissolve. The Dunks dissolve slowly, the Bits more quickly.

Mosquito Dunks are intended to last for about 30 days once in the water.

Bits, on the other hand, dissolve more rapidly and are intended to kill the larvae within 24 hours. The Bits are smaller, and don’t have the time-release feature.

its all about the time-release feature that the dunks have and the bits do not... meaning when using bits the bacteria is released faster and probably don't survive as long?? and with the dunks they dont die as fast?? not sure but sounded good to me? but hey you might no better than them!

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Because Dunks and Bits are made from the same ingredients, they work similarly. You put them in the water, and they float and dissolve. The Dunks dissolve slowly, the Bits more quickly.

Mosquito Dunks are intended to last for about 30 days once in the water.

Bits, on the other hand, dissolve more rapidly and are intended to kill the larvae within 24 hours. The Bits are smaller, and don’t have the time-release feature.

its all about the time-release feature that the dunks have and the bits do not... meaning when using bits the bacteria is released faster and probably don't survive as long?? and with the dunks they dont die as fast?? not sure but sounded good to me? but hey you might no better than them!
The time release feature???

Anyway, I've used both and what's actually important is burying it. The bits are much easier in that regard, I hate breaking up the dunks although I've done it many times. :)

Last edited:

Gonejuan

The time release feature???

Anyway, I've used both and what's actually important is burying it. The bits are much easier in that regard, I hate breaking up the dunks although I've done it many times. :)
I don’t use them anymore but when I used the dunks in the past I just wrapped them in a bandana and smacked it with a hammer a few times. Broke right up. Before that I was chipping pieces off with a knife and it was a huge pain in the ass lol

Hogbackmagic

Super Active Member
I just used some triple neem oil on my plants took care of them fast you can
use this as a drench as well to dress the soil with to kill eggs/larvae
never had this issue before myself but this neem is a good fungicide
I guess they don't like the taste of this stuff

Attachments

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Anyone use BT in their worm bin? I had mine outside for the summer. Always cover with a sheet but the wind knocked a few off now I have nats. I read it’s ok. Any experience?

Anyone use BT in their worm bin? I had mine outside for the summer. Always cover with a sheet but the wind knocked a few off now I have nats. I read it’s ok. Any experience?
No experience, but I would try that and leaving out some apple cider vinegar/dish soap traps on top of the soil after you give your drench. I’m currently rotating bT and neem as soil drenches. I don’t want a few to turn into an infestation.

kotobide

I had a difficult time last photo cycle in almost straight coco i water twice daily so the mediums always pretty wet. What i did differently last run i had a couple autoflowers i used 60/40 coco perlite and the top 1.5-2 inches was just a perlite cap. I had to water/feed a bit more often but the top layer never stayed wet enough for them to get a foothold to propagate.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I had a difficult time last photo cycle in almost straight coco i water twice daily so the mediums always pretty wet. What i did differently last run i had a couple autoflowers i used 60/40 coco perlite and the top 1.5-2 inches was just a perlite cap. I had to water/feed a bit more often but the top layer never stayed wet enough for them to get a foothold to propagate.
I had a fungus gnat infestation and went with permethrin 36%, two treatments and they were gone. I did follow up with two more to be sure. That table is two weeks from chop and looks great. I had them during veg. I grow coco/perlite 50/50.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
If you have pests or not. Always be prepared and have 4 or 5 different insecticides for different pests. I had a "Broad Mite" infestation this past couple runs. Devastated my infested plants. Them suckers eat the resin right off the plants. You can start seeing the damage about the 4th or 5th week of flower. I had never seen one before. Took me 2 weeks to find a live one on the plant.(computer microscope). Now I am prepared with a small arsenal of different insecticides. "Avid miticide, is a must to have on hand. Contains "Abamectin" .
Kills everything from mites to aphids. A little expensive, but worth every ml.
I hit them about every week with 1 of these. Dawn dish soap, Neem oil, Azamax, or a insecticide soap. Avid once or twice a month, if needed.
Buy a good microscope, and use it.
Be ready for an invasion of every kind.

Last edited:

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Ive made competent strips from just strips of yellow paper and honey and a piece of string....

I used a rotation of hot pepper sauce and diaetomaceous earth, sometimes fresh nettle foliar.
Lower Rh can help as well.
Also i think most people would be surprised about yields with watering less overall, but more evenly throughtout the day....