Fungus gnats

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
I've never used the bits before so I have no experience with those. I got the liquid version that comes in the dropper. It took about a week+, but it killed em off completely. Definitely not an instant fix like with Spinosad & thrips or something like that.
I would have tried Microbe lift BMC suggested by @HydroRed but nobody will ship to canada.Same goes for tanlin,but i lucked out there.👍

Nyaga

Junior Soil Food Web Consultant
I would have tried Microbe lift BMC suggested by @HydroRed but nobody will ship to canada.Same goes for tanlin,but i lucked out there.👍
same, nothing to where I sstay I'll have to find a solution, ma ladies going into flower soon, i want to fix this before that

you guys in the US have it EASy : https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Good-Guys-Beneficial-SF-Steinernema/dp/B07982KV33/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&keywords=nematodes&linkCode=ur2&linkId=3OWRLN3GZ3C7W7AJ&qid=1562968962&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Last edited:

Nyaga

I don't think hydroguard will get rid of gnats. It is beneficial bacteria and helps ward off root rot. Little bastards will wreck a grow if not put in check.
half correct, the beneficial bacteria that kills fungus gnats is Bacillus Thuringiensis which is a different specie of bacillus found in hydroguard (Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens ).

BerryNice

Super Active Member
A little fire goes along way don’t be scared

Fire is better then chemicals and those fuckers go pop and the larva die

No damage to plant your just scuffing the surface

I was shown how to do this by Adam at annuki genetics the guy has won cups and breeds his own beans and has his own seed bank

Hell yeah there many products that do the job but once you put something into the plant it stays in the plant

You can burn them out and kill most there larva before you can even read label and figure out the mixture

Let’s say you get a little too stoned and you scuff a top root or something with the torch

These fucking plants are super strong and will keep on trucking

It also help dry out the medium because usually nats show up when over damp soil

Once you use a torch and honestly see the results you never go back to anything else it works that good

Btw u don’t need standard propane torch they make small hand held low flame ones that are super ez to control

I hated to even put epsom salt on one my plants I usually go solo to 2 gallon then into 5-7 gallon day before flip nothing but water the entire time unless find deficiencies

Best tasting weed I ever grow once dropped all the bs and focus on making own soil

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
Green sand on the top of pots works well. They cant get into the soil underneath.
So to catch the rest of them...hang fly strips in the room. If using tents hang them inside...also in the room the tent is in if you have celling lights leave one on(don't leave on when its dark time just when lights are on in your tent) ...and place 3 fly strips around the light fixture. Ones in the room will go to the light and get stuck on the fly strips that are hanging. Once all adults are caught...there done.
Them bugs are outside and they are small enough to fit through the tiny holes on a window screen.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Well i spent a couple of hours this morning working on eliminating the fungus gnats. I pulled back the mulch ( hydroton) Spread a couple of table spoons fulls of Mosquito bits on each plant and worked into the Coco. Followed by a irrigation. I found a 6" oscillating fan that i am going to locate it pot high to keep good air movement at the top of the pots. Also ordered Tanlin as part of my IPM.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Well i spent a couple of hours this morning working on eliminating the fungus gnats. I pulled back the mulch ( hydroton) Spread a couple of table spoons fulls of Mosquito bits on each plant and worked into the Coco. Followed by a irrigation. I found a 6" oscillating fan that i am going to locate it pot high to keep good air movement at the top of the pots. Also ordered Tanlin as part of my IPM.
Capt that tanlin will kill em dead after 1 watering and the crystals stay in the soil , so if any get in later and lay their eggs they are history also. Just 2 drops per gallon of water is all you need. 20ml will last forever.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Capt that tanlin will kill em dead after 1 watering and the crystals stay in the soil , so if any get in later and lay their eggs they are history also. Just 2 drops per gallon of water is all you need. 20ml will last forever.
Yes sir i got some on the way. I am glad that 20ml will last a while. I think it was like 44.00 on amazon. I can use the Tanlin for preventive maintenance correct?

G.L.Frosty

I don't think hydroguard will get rid of gnats. It is beneficial bacteria and helps ward off root rot. Little bastards will wreck a grow if not put in check.
Hydroguard will not directly kill the fungus Nats but it eats decaying material that the Nats feed on cutting off the food supply. Use every watering @ 2ml per gallon and I guarantee it will work as me and several growers that I know growing in coco use it mainly for nat control. No more yellow paper I promis.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
I grow in soil exclusively so I have to deal with these bastards often and I didnt see anyone mention this but you can try watering backwards(so to speak). I have had to water with BT starting by the drain holes in my pots and let it wick-up. Those gnats will come in and out of the bottom of your plants thru the drainage holes in your pot. If you treat the top and don't treat the bottom its going to take twice as long to get them under control

Nyaga

I grow in soil exclusively so I have to deal with these bastards often and I didnt see anyone mention this but you can try watering backwards(so to speak). I have had to water with BT starting by the drain holes in my pots and let it wick-up. Those gnats will come in and out of the bottom of your plants thru the drainage holes in your pot. If you treat the top and don't treat the bottom its going to take twice as long to get them under control
I do the same, but i think my medium got contaminated before i started my grow. So when i finish my grow i'm going to dry my medium completely and do a complete wipe with hydrogen peroxide + water to sterialise my medium again before i start my next grow I'll amend the soil again.,

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
On some real shit tho microbe lift bmc really works well. I’ve tried bti dunks and bits and they’re okay for prevention but if you already have gnats they aren’t really strong enough. @HydroRed what application rate do you use per gallon or whatever? I just dump a like 5-8 drops per gallon and it just got rid of my gnat problem. Now I’m gonna use it on the back yard cuz that’s where them fuckers are coming from.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
On some real shit tho microbe lift bmc really works well. I’ve tried bti dunks and bits and they’re okay for prevention but if you already have gnats they aren’t really strong enough. @HydroRed what application rate do you use per gallon or whatever? I just dump a like 5-8 drops per gallon and it just got rid of my gnat problem. Now I’m gonna use it on the back yard cuz that’s where them fuckers are coming from.
Im glad it worked for you. I used 6 drops per gallon with excellent results. Its more than recommended, but Im in a sterile res and use municipal tap water so it likely killed off a majority of the BT when I used it.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Im glad it worked for you. I used 6 drops per gallon with excellent results. Its more than recommended, but Im in a sterile res and use municipal tap water so it likely killed off a majority of the BT when I used it.
Word thanks. Yea I guess I used a little higher strength than that but it worked well. The application rate on the bottle is for large bodies of water and only having 15 plants I didn’t feel like doing that conversion lol.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Word thanks. Yea I guess I used a little higher strength than that but it worked well. The application rate on the bottle is for large bodies of water and only having 15 plants I didn’t feel like doing that conversion lol.
Same here. IIRC, its like 2 drops per 100 gal of fresh water or something? Not in my garden hahaha