Fungus gnats

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Capt that tanlin will kill em dead after 1 watering and the crystals stay in the soil , so if any get in later and lay their eggs they are history also. Just 2 drops per gallon of water is all you need. 20ml will last forever.
I am doing my first Tanlin treatment tomorrow morning. One week after the Mosquito bits treatment. There was more of those little suckers than i thought although starting to slow down now. I think they were saying use like once a week. Not sure i will use it that much . I have added two new 6" fans at pot level at opposite ends of the room. Hoping that will solve the gnats problem in the future. Luckily the plants have been jamming and are unfazed by the gnats so hopefully i will get all of the larvae killed off as well.

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
I had an absolutely horrible infestation of gnats.Tried all options everyone else was using,i swear they only got worst.The big sticky traps were almost pure black,soil surface was moving with 100's of them.After only one treatment with tanlin,i could see a drastic reduction in numbers.After 3 treatments i can see a few fliers,nothing on the soil surface.I'm sold on tanlin,it's amazing !! Bless you @Armdog for mentioning it🙏

Last edited:

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I had an absolutely horrible infestation of gnats.Tried all options everyone else was using,i swear they only got worst.The big sticky traps were almost pure black,soil surface was moving with 100's of them.After only one treatment with tanlin,i could see a drastic reduction in numbers.After 3 treatments i can see a few fliers,nothing on the soil surface.I'm sold on tanlin,it's amazing !! Bless you @Armdog for mentioning it🙏
You are welcome, just trying to help out.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Okay i am still struggling with the Gnat infestation. I started with the Tanlin but i was using it correctly. I used the Tanlin once a week for 4 weeks and they got worse. After rereading the instructions i must have confused it with the misquto bits. Anyhow i desided to try the Microbe BT. Nine strait days of the Microbe BT and i am still seeing a few mostly on the outside of the Radicle bags. Now i suspect the Radicle bags could be part of the problem. Each small hole in the Radicle bags is big enough for the gnat enter and exit anywhere on the pot. I have a question i hope someone can help with. I have the ability to create positive pressure in my flower room just wondering if that would help.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I've had good success in dirt with thuricide, 4 teaspoons per gallon mixed in with the watering, 4 to 5 times in a row. Wipes out the larvae segment of the life cycle and the fliers get caught on sticky traps or die of old age.The BT kills their reinforcements and stays in the dirt to kill any new ones.

I have the mosquito dunks/bits, but the thuricide works much better, imo.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
The BTi only kills the larvae. So it will take some time to see a reduction in fliers. It doesn't work instantly like a chemical pesticide. The bacteria must first grow and multiply itself, and then be consumed/enter the larvae.
It's not fast but it does work.
Chems/chlorine in tap water can reduce its effectiveness.
It can be cultured from dunks, bits, or possibly liquid. There are a couple methods Ive used successfully.

I use a top dress of PBH an inch or more thick on soilless/soil/coir media in pots or poly bags ( not hydro).
It is sterile, clean lightweight and dries fast. Reducing surface moisture availability.

A strong fan (like an in line duct blower used for carbon filters) at pot level, with a well secured poly or fine mesh filter on the intake side, sprayed with pyrethrum/pyrethrins can work as a trap for fliers. Sticky traps/ tanglefoot will get some of them too ofc.

I just ordered some of those LED zappers. 15W version, says 1200 lumen(hmmm i dont know if that is correct). 12 white LED 6500k and a 4 of the UV in each I believe.
I dont have gnats now so I cant say how effective it will be. They run cool so one could be dropped on a corded socket to pot top level easily. I dont know if fungus gnats are attracted to the UV, they aren't like most night time fliers, but they do love my computer screen so..

@ CaptC- PM me if you would like one as a free trial/ tester. I'll get one to ya soon as I receive.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
The BTi only kills the larvae. So it will take some time to see a reduction in fliers. It doesn't work instantly like a chemical pesticide. The bacteria must first grow and multiply itself, and then be consumed/enter the larvae.
It can be cultured from dunks, bits, or possibly liquid. There are a couple methods Ive used successfully.

I use a top dress of PBH an inch or more thick on soilless/soil/coir media in pots or poly bags ( not hydro).
It is sterile, clean lightweight and dries fast. Reducing surface moisture availability.

A strong fan (like an in line duct blower used for carbon filters) at pot level, with a well secured poly or fine mesh filter on the intake side, sprayed with pyrethrum/pyrethrins can work as a trap for fliers. Sticky traps/ tanglefoot will get some of them too ofc.

I just ordered some of those LED zappers. 15W version, says 1200 lumen(hmmm i dont know if that is correct). 12 white LED 6500k and a 4 of the UV in each I believe.
I dont have gnats now so I cant say how effective it will be. They run cool so one could be dropped on a corded socket to pot top level easily. I dont know if fungus gnats are attracted to the UV, they aren't like most night time fliers, but they do love my computer screen so..

@ CaptC- PM me if you would like one as a free trial/ tester. I'll get one to ya soon as I receive.
Okay keep me posted how the zappers work @jpcyan . What are your thoughts on the continued use of the microbe BT. I have applied it nine days strait. Should i just continue usage until they are gone? Those little suckers can go in and out of the radical bags in thousands of holes. I have a carbon and sediment filter my water goes thru so the chlorine should not be a issue plus i am going 6 drops a gallon. I can not help but wonder if these radicle bags are hurting the treatment. I have tried saturating the soil but when i see them they are on the outside of the pot. I have a yellow sticky at media level on each plant.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

My understanding on how BT works, is that BT is eaten first, then the insect dies as the BT grows in it's system/stomach. A fungus gnats lifespan is 14 days. The fliers can be knocked down quick with insect spray (dirt and container only, not plant) if it's out of control, but killing the larvae will put a huge dent in an offset multi-generational attack.

regarding making sticky traps...I hate getting tanglefoot on me, so I use vaseline instead. works fine and way easier to clean off yourself.

Last edited:

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Yes that is correct, however as a stable product, it may come in the form of a hardened endospore (as often various bacillus are found in grain). That hardened endospore can and will germinate and grow into the rod shaped bacteria given the right conditions prior to ingestion, Once the gnats larvae ingest it, then it really takes off because of the improved environmental conditions. It depends on the source and what environment it has been given prior to being ingested. It can germinate pretty fast.
I cultured it in a slurry broth and in coconuts. Both were effective at controlling mosquito larvae in my rain barrels and water catch. To keep it stable I froze it. Now this may have just froze the bacteria or it may have triggered a response causing it to form the endospore for survival. It continued to work but I dont have a microscope capable of determining in what form it survived.

heh yeah I agree the tanglfoot is horrible stuff. I had to use it for deer flies this year. You want it no where you are gonna get anywhere near touching.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
What are your thoughts on the continued use of the microbe BT. I have applied it nine days strait. Should i just continue usage until they are gone? Those little suckers can go in and out of the radical bags in thousands of holes. I have a carbon and sediment filter my water goes thru so the chlorine should not be a issue plus i am going 6 drops a gallon. I can not help but wonder if these radicle bags are hurting the treatment. I have tried saturating the soil but when i see them they are on the outside of the pot. I have a yellow sticky at media level on each plant.
Sorry for the double post, my editing skills are lacking.
I am an not familiar with the product you are using. So I cant really comment on its use. Is That the brand name? I'll have to look it up. Im gonna have to look up the tanlin too. I haven't kept up with the products for a while.

I dont think the containers are a problem. They will get in in any container. They are just more visible in this type. If The BTi is not effective the larvae and gnats are loving that you are keeping the soil saturated.
It will take several types of control measures to totally wipe out a heavy infestation. You are already using several so you might look to some of the other suggestions such as Thuricide as mentioned.

gnats suck!
good luck.

GetOffMyNutes

CBD Yoda
Commercial soils are gnat havens usually and I got hit one time with a ridiculous amount of gnats. I watered my soil and dropped a 3/4 inch of sand leaving no cracks what so ever. I watered my girls from the bottom for 3 weeks. I used fly cones with maple syrup to kill off the adults in the area.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
My worst infestation came from purchased bags of soil that were stored outside and had been rained on.
I usually mix my own, but that one time.. all it took to know, Do not buy soil mix from the parking lot of the Farm store.

It seems the "Tanlin" is just Xanthan gum. A common food additive used in medicines and vitamins as well. Even the manufacturers website didn't provide an exact mode of action that I could find. I was really perplexed as to how this stuff works.
WebMD had the best info about it. From what I read, the only thing I could see as mode of action was similar to BTi. Once larvae ingest it must stick in their intestines and swell. Maybe making them constipated to the point of not eating?.:D Miserable Bastids, that's what they get.

SCJedi

Synergist
My worst infestation came from purchased bags of soil that were stored outside and had been rained on.
I usually mix my own, but that one time.. all it took to know, Do not buy soil mix from the parking lot of the Farm store.

It seems the "Tanlin" is just Xanthan gum. A common food additive used in medicines and vitamins as well. Even the manufacturers website didn't provide an exact mode of action that I could find. I was really perplexed as to how this stuff works.
WebMD had the best info about it. From what I read, the only thing I could see as mode of action was similar to BTi. Once larvae ingest it must stick in their intestines and swell. Maybe making them constipated to the point of not eating?.:D Miserable Bastids, that's what they get.
After my first "wet gnat soil bag" I knew that if I needed soil and the bag was heavy to go somewhere else.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

Interesting...Xanthan Gum is a common ingredient in gluten free bread/baking. Gives it body. We avoid it in recipes, and try to avoid it when buying gluten free.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
With the radicle bags i have been using i am not positive i have been getting the coco fully saturated with the BTM. Well i got them saturated this morning. Barely fit. into a 5 gallon but they did and i was able to make sure the coco was fully soaked. I don't think those fury little bastards can swim at least i did not see any doing the backstroke.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I wouldnt think the Radicle bags ease of "home" is the problem. I think they are finding a feed source not tainted with the BT and are still thriving on it. I believe you may be on to your issue now @Capt C and would anticipate some real results in the next few days to a week.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I wouldnt think the Radicle bags ease of "home" is the problem. I think they are finding a feed source not tainted with the BT and are still thriving on it. I believe you may be on to your issue now @Capt C and would anticipate some real results in the next few days to a week.
Mr. Red when do you think i should follow up on another dunk just to be on the safe side.?