Fungus gnats

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I have noticed that i have some fungus gnats . I am in Coco and i keep it pretty moist. Just about a dozen i see that the yellow sticky traps have captured between 8 plants. I do not think it is a big infestation yet. This is the first time i have had any bugs! So what i figured i would do is pick up some mosquito bits and sprinkle on top of the media and just keep a eye on the yellow sticky traps. If any one thinks i should try something else let me know.

BerryNice

Super Active Member
lightly scruff the top of medium with small propane torch they do not like to be burned. If worried about stem cut soup can in half place around stem. also gets some of the larva

I do not use any chemicals so I use fire and temps

What i found the most effective if you can drop temps and humidity under 70T and under 40H for 1-3 days the do not like that kind of enviroment

I now keep a super clean grow room and have not seen any bugs in years But My friend gets sterile perlite and puts a layer of like 1/ to 1 inch on top of soil or coco and he swears by that

I guess it keeps top dry and they can not make larva

I would burn the fuckers they hate it and go POP

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
big air movement will help eliminate them also, Ive also done the perlite hat and it works too, but to be honest, when I increased air in the tent much, Ive not seen one. And I exhaust out to my scrubber, so if they get sucked in, that squirrel cage will chop em, lol, but I dont' see any anymore and my tent is clean, but not spotless. I always call em pecker gnats, lol, gnats buzzin round a hound dawg's pecker. lol

BerryNice

Super Active Member
big air movement will help eliminate them also, Ive also done the perlite hat and it works too, but to be honest, when I increased air in the tent much, Ive not seen one. And I exhaust out to my scrubber, so if they get sucked in, that squirrel cage will chop em, lol, but I dont' see any anymore and my tent is clean, but not spotless. I always call em pecker gnats, lol, gnats buzzin round a hound dawg's pecker. lol
good point never thought about that that is even a more chemical friendly option

I got a dyson that can pick up a 10 pound plate I will suck them up next time

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I'd get a small fan in there on high bout pot top level or so, I have an inline intake, and an exhaust with squirrel cage, and a 6-8 inch fan inside the tent, sometimes I sit it on two pots closer together to blow that level which is where they like. You can move that inside fan around, in my situation. Ain't seen one

D

Deleted member 60

The mosquito dunks work. I like the Microbe-Lift BTI product as well. Concentrated stuff. All natural/a biological...not a chemical. Only see 'em (occasionally) when I bring in new, bagged medium....but deal with them frequently in the greenhouse (along with aphids and mites) due to the higher humidity.

SCJedi

Synergist
Capt, check Schwaggy P's thread for IPM. He has an easy and effective recipe, using dunks, DE, and a couple of other things in the mix. Top dressed in. Might help ya out. Sorry, can't remember the exact details, but I know its in there.
DE is worthless once it gets wet. If you can get liquid or powdered BT you'll be in better shape then trying to pound or grind dunks. They also make BT "Bits" which you can scratch into the top of your soil. The challenge is that you already see flying adults so there is larva somewhere. And for Jah's sake, don't think that they are only on the tops of your containers. Net the bottoms, clean up dead leaves, don't overwater, etc. They feed on soggy decomposing organic material. Good luck!

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
You will have access to tanlin in the usa.I'm plagued by swarms of knats.I've tried everything,everyone has suggested,i swear they just get worst.I lucked out and a hydro shop in the UK shipped me a 20ml bottle of tanlin.It will make 2000 liters of mixture to water in.Its not some chemical,i refuse to use any chemicals in my soil.I'm finally winning against these bastards💪

I just got in some Microbe Lift BMC yesterday that was ordered earlier in the week. I had been using the BT bits but the gnats were still gaining momentum. My initial hopes for the bits were to mix in the soil before planting to completely prevent them but that didn't happen(it got mixed in the soil and they still showed up). Ended up mixing them in with water 1-2x a week and it would help but they were still around. It always seems like they come around heavy once plants get to a certain point in flower around week 3-4 for me. I picked up the Lift because of HRed's suggestion in a different thread. He suggested it for hydro but I'll see what it does in soil. Same bacteria as what's in the bits the best that I can tell. Top and bottom fed yesterday so hopefully eradication is well on its way.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I had a bad infestation about a year ago and Tanlin wiped em out and haven't seen them since. The flies aren't a problem its the larve you want to kill. breaks the life cycle of the flies. the fly only lives a short time and lays eggs dies. Once you see the flies you had better get on them or you will truly regret it. They multiply so fast it will make your head spin.

Nyaga

Junior Soil Food Web Consultant
I had a bad infestation about a year ago and Tanlin wiped em out and haven't seen them since. The flies aren't a problem its the larve you want to kill. breaks the life cycle of the flies. the fly only lives a short time and lays eggs dies. Once you see the flies you had better get on them or you will truly regret it. They multiply so fast it will make your head spin.
I currently have that issue :/ extremely hard everyday i come check, a new batch stuck on stickies

Last edited: