Fucking weather!

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
It’s an old Winco from the 70s or 80s with a Briggs & Stratton. Getting it to run should be stupid simple but I’ve never seen this carburetor setup before so I’m afraid to adjust anything too far. I can’t find an oil shutoff switch anywhere on it so it’s probably old enough to where one wasn’t installed. I timed it today and the longest it would run was 3.5 minutes and then it would shut down. Oil is full, gas is clean, I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the lines and fuel valve out, I’d it looks like it’s getting flinty of gas through that filter while it’s running. Thankfully a neighbor let me grab his generator at around noon and is letting me use it until 8pm so I can get the house heated up, the fridge/freezer cooled back down, and a shower. They are saying we might have power back tonight so I’m crossing my fingers.
Check the fuel tank vent, sounds like it's using up what's in the bowl and the fuel isn't running in.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
It’s an old Winco from the 70s or 80s with a Briggs & Stratton. Getting it to run should be stupid simple but I’ve never seen this carburetor setup before so I’m afraid to adjust anything too far. I can’t find an oil shutoff switch anywhere on it so it’s probably old enough to where one wasn’t installed. I timed it today and the longest it would run was 3.5 minutes and then it would shut down. Oil is full, gas is clean, I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the lines and fuel valve out, I’d it looks like it’s getting flinty of gas through that filter while it’s running. Thankfully a neighbor let me grab his generator at around noon and is letting me use it until 8pm so I can get the house heated up, the fridge/freezer cooled back down, and a shower. They are saying we might have power back tonight so I’m crossing my fingers.
It just may be a coil/magneto problem. Could be anything in the electrical system that's cracked and craps out after it warms up and expands. The symptoms of that are it needs to cool down again to restart. Do you have to wait to restart it or can it be restarted right after the stall?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It just may be a coil/magneto problem. Could be anything in the electrical system that's cracked and craps out after it warms up and expands. The symptoms of that are it needs to cool down again to restart. Do you have to wait to restart it or can it be restarted right after the stall?
It does restart after it stalls, but it has to be choked until it fires up, and then it runs for a shorter period. I have a newer Coleman generator that just needs the pull start mechanism cleaned up and fixed and a tune up. I’m going to drop it off at a local shop this week and just get it done. Even if it costs me a few hundred bucks it will be worth it just to know it will start and run next time I need it.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
if the gen has a solid copper plugwire ,i have seem plug wires turn [green+heat = resitance] inside the coating causes it to stop fire to plug[till it cools] this happend to my cousin, his pull tractor would fall on it face like your problem genset.