Freeze dryer in da house!

shimz

vapest
So have you weighed pre freeze dried product and apres' dried product to see what kinda water weight is removed during the process?

Would love to see this process in action and squish some of that dried yum to see what happens. You have a press/etc...correct? (so you can show us the fun/end result?)

Somebody needs to ghetto up one of these. After seeing some threads here with dosers and other automated grow equipment/etc.... (LOL) I'd say that few of ya are nerdy enough to pull it off. Heeeheee.....
ALL the water is removed ;)

I'll try to get some squish pics up soon. I'm kinda bummed about my press. It's too small and the heating is not very even.

Big Perm

Budtender
Ghetto DIY freeze drying not possible. Cheap vacuum pump not possible. You get what you pay for in this case. Besides, the price is already quite cheap at $2000 shipped including mylar bags, bag sealer, pump and oil.

The cheap vac pumps measure their vacuum in mm of mercury which is wholly inadequate for what we need. Another system, millitorr is required to measure the atmosphere (or lack thereof) in the chamber. My pump will get down in the low 100's millitorr which barely registers on the mm Hg scale. Also the water trap would need to have a badass refrigeration unit of its own to be effective at these pressures.
I love this stuff man!
That's a great price! And at that price, they are using the pumps I am talking about. The one I was looking at a year ago or so was about $4k.
I used to be a machinist, among other things. I could make a chamber I'd put my whole family into space in. Not me though, I have to stay here and monitor the results.
js
Still, I couldn't make it myself for much less than that. Kudos to them for not bending over the little guys.

D

Deleted member 60

I kinda figured it was all removed. Just wondered how much water "Bubble" actually retains/etc. pre and post freeze drying. No biggie.

I saw that there is a used unit in state here in CO on Crazedlist... $1600. Pre-legality...I woulda been all over it.

thanks for the peek

Big Perm

Budtender
When I was researching it hard, I found some research articles on experimenting with it on cannabis.
Their first few runs were failures. First time they did it they came out with 0% moisture pretty much, and the buds crumbled.
What they did was ended up cutting back the time so that not all of the moisture is removed. They eventually were able to dial it in to where it was the same as a regular dry, but in hours. With no damage to the trichomes.
I'm super excited to follow along on this.

shimz

vapest
When I was researching it hard, I found some research articles on experimenting with it on cannabis.
Their first few runs were failures. First time they did it they came out with 0% moisture pretty much, and the buds crumbled.
What they did was ended up cutting back the time so that not all of the moisture is removed. They eventually were able to dial it in to where it was the same as a regular dry, but in hours. With no damage to the trichomes.
I'm super excited to follow along on this.
The bud pic above is dried to the point of able to cure. Took about 20 hours at low shelf temps. The hash in the same chamber got completely dry. I was shocked everything turned out so well on that first run. The chamber had a bit of weed smell to it after that run, but the gummy bears that followed had no hint of it.

shimz

vapest
I kinda figured it was all removed. Just wondered how much water "Bubble" actually retains/etc. pre and post freeze drying. No biggie.

I saw that there is a used unit in state here in CO on Crazedlist... $1600. Pre-legality...I woulda been all over it.

thanks for the peek
I'll do some before and after weights on my next bubble run. I still have material, just need ice. Lots and lots of ice, lol. I go through 100# of ice per kilo of smalls.

Primo bozo

Big veiny dick
Ghetto DIY freeze drying not possible. Cheap vacuum pump not possible. You get what you pay for in this case. Besides, the price is already quite cheap at $2000 shipped including mylar bags, bag sealer, pump and oil.

The cheap vac pumps measure their vacuum in mm of mercury which is wholly inadequate for what we need. Another system, millitorr is required to measure the atmosphere (or lack thereof) in the chamber. My pump will get down in the low 100's millitorr which barely registers on the mm Hg scale. Also the water trap would need to have a badass refrigeration unit of its own to be effective at these pressures.
About the only part of this explanation I got was, "or lack thereof" which can easily apply to my comprehensive level. I thought we were stoners? Who let the rocket scientist in? On the serious side, I now envy you. Thanks.😒

Primo bozo

Big veiny dick
Awesome toy. Was gonna head in that direction but just not sure I can justify the cost for personal use only.

How intensive do you think the maintenance will be? Seems like a bit more is involved than just >plug and play<.

Thanks for sharing and making me jealous as fuck... Been lookin for someone local who may have made the jump who might wanna play....
Shit if I justified the crap I buy, I would be rich now. My motto is, you can't take it with you and your kids dam sure don't deserve it, so forget justifying it and just pull the trigger.

D

Deleted member 60

Yer right man.........so I said FUCK IT and spent 4K yesterday on a medium sized one with an oil-free pump.

Thought it would come in handy with all of the trim I have.....er....a......HAD sitting here. I guess my wife ....um......yikes...... unplugged MY freezer 2 weeks ago when she defrosted one of the other freezers...... FUCK ME....... every damn bit of my trim from last Summer but a few bags........soaked/soggy...ruined....... Glad I wasn't BANKING on that for $$$$$$......... but it still kinda hurts..... was lookin forward to playin.... Still have a bunch that's cured.....but not fresh frozen so if I make hash with it it won't be the same. We will see. Have yet to process it all fully...... but the wife feels like shit about it so I have some room to fuck up now without worry..... heeeheee.....

but I got a freeze dryer.....LOL........ so someday I'll get to use it! Never a dull moment............... nope.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Yer right man.........so I said FUCK IT and spent 4K yesterday on a medium sized one with an oil-free pump.

Thought it would come in handy with all of the trim I have.....er....a......HAD sitting here. I guess my wife ....um......yikes...... unplugged MY freezer 2 weeks ago when she defrosted one of the other freezers...... FUCK ME....... every damn bit of my trim from last Summer but a few bags........soaked/soggy...ruined....... Glad I wasn't BANKING on that for $$$$$$......... but it still kinda hurts..... was lookin forward to playin.... Still have a bunch that's cured.....but not fresh frozen so if I make hash with it it won't be the same. We will see. Have yet to process it all fully...... but the wife feels like shit about it so I have some room to fuck up now without worry..... heeeheee.....

but I got a freeze dryer.....LOL........ so someday I'll get to use it! Never a dull moment............... nope.
full moon today, lol, its in the air.

Primo bozo

Big veiny dick

Okay, so man, so, I'm torn, part of me envies you, and part of me is crying for you. I'm going to have a shit ton of trim in about a week, if you live close to Alabama, I will let you have it. Most of it is CNC, GPS gear. At least, like you said, it gets you a hall pass with the missus. Remember, when life hand's you lemon's,,, ATTACK!!!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Stoner thinking nuggets.
120F will decarb weed. The NOVA uses low heat like that.
The bud you showed is definitely not cooked like a decarb, so it's gentler or the temp is never there long enough to do much.

Does it being hyper-dry help or hurt in the hash making?

Primo bozo

Big veiny dick
Stoner thinking nuggets.
120F will decarb weed. The NOVA uses low heat like that.
The bud you showed is definitely not cooked like a decarb, so it's gentler or the temp is never there long enough to do much.

Does it being hyper-dry help or hurt in the hash making?
In my opinion, dried bud makes a lower quality hash. For me, I now only use fresh trim and bud. I grow a lot, and because I don't sell it, I only keep the very best buds to smoke. The rest goes into hash. I don't store it, right after it's taken down, I put it in the freezer for 2 hours and then into the washing machine on 3 to 5 minute runs. Usually I run it twice, but if it is still a lot I'll run it a third time. I only keep the 90micron, as it's been the best with the bags I have. The 120-73-45 I put into 37 micron pressing bags and into the jaws of life ( rosin press ) I set my temp at 160° and slow press it. Not the right way, not the wrong way, but my way.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
In my opinion, dried bud makes a lower quality hash. For me, I now only use fresh trim and bud. I grow a lot, and because I don't sell it, I only keep the very best buds to smoke. The rest goes into hash. I don't store it, right after it's taken down, I put it in the freezer for 2 hours and then into the washing machine on 3 to 5 minute runs. Usually I run it twice, but if it is still a lot I'll run it a third time. I only keep the 90micron, as it's been the best with the bags I have. The 120-73-45 I put into 37 micron pressing bags and into the jaws of life ( rosin press ) I set my temp at 160° and slow press it. Not the right way, not the wrong way, but my way.
I don't do the rosin, but have tried pressing actual hash from the keif instead of just saving keif pucks. I did some last month and am letting it cure for 3 months to see if it is worth the effort. Also saved a plain keif puck of each hash to compare.

shimz

vapest

WTG on the FD and welcome to the club! Sux about the lost trim though. One thing that has really made my growing life easier is I don't worry about plucking off lowers, but make them into hash! I think my plants like it better because I seem to average more weight overall.

I will have to try fresh made hash without letting it dry beforehand. Do I need to freeze it in this case? @Primo bozo

Primo bozo

Big veiny dick
WTG on the FD and welcome to the club! Sux about the lost trim though. One thing that has really made my growing life easier is I don't worry about plucking off lowers, but make them into hash! I think my plants like it better because I seem to average more weight overall.

I will have to try fresh made hash without letting it dry beforehand. Do I need to freeze it in this case? @Primo bozo
If you're talking about the bud? What works for me is I take the best buds for smoking and everything else goes into hash. I put it into the freezer immediately for about an hour or two, then straight into the washing machine run it on gentle for about 5 minutes at most. It comes out 🔥