Freeze dryer in da house!

shimz

vapest
So geeked to have my own freeze dryer from Harvest Right. Plan is to quickly dry hash after French Cannoli style bubble processing.

I worked all weekend as time allowed on almost a kilo of smalls, popped the wet patties in the dryer for almost 20 hours, and now I have some nice fluffy sift to press out.

I also ran some chunky blue cheese flower at the same time. It came out with an amazing fresh texture virtually indistinguishable from when it went in right off the living plant.

Pics later, just had to get this out!

shimz

vapest
IMG_20200224_170609.jpg
Small harvest right
IMG_20200224_170635.jpg
7.2 CFM vac pump
IMG_20200224_165718.jpg
Did an incredible job drying this sweet hash made from wedding dub...yum!
IMG_20200224_165807.jpg
...and some great looking blue cheese! Dried just enough so it will still cure.
IMG_20200224_170411.jpg
Coming soon, bodhi regs gifted from ex chucker @Green_256. Anyone help me guess the strain? He had no idea as they were from a mixed pack.

shimz

vapest
Setting for drying hash, found at 420magazine:
Shelf limit:35
Dry time: 8 hours

Differs a bit from actual info. I must have newer firmware as I can't control the freeze time independently and the dry time minimum is 8 hours for me instead of the recommended 7.

D

Deleted member 60

Awesome toy. Was gonna head in that direction but just not sure I can justify the cost for personal use only.

How intensive do you think the maintenance will be? Seems like a bit more is involved than just >plug and play<.

Thanks for sharing and making me jealous as fuck... Been lookin for someone local who may have made the jump who might wanna play....

shimz

vapest
Awesome toy. Was gonna head in that direction but just not sure I can justify the cost for personal use only.

How intensive do you think the maintenance will be? Seems like a bit more is involved than just >plug and play<.

Thanks for sharing and making me jealous as fuck... Been lookin for someone local who may have made the jump who might wanna play....
I literally just have to change the oil on the pump with each load. Old oil can be filtered/water separated and reused a few times.

shimz

vapest
Put a gummy bear in there next time, lol.
I'm surprised they don't use an oil less pump, and a water trap.
How much is one of those?
Already tried, lolIMG_20200226_053526.jpg
Also ice cream sandwiches! The bears are fluffy and crunchy and chewy at the same time!

Oilless pump is an option, but almost doubles the total cost. Water trap also an option, but more energy consumed and those aren't cheap either. For now at least I'll just keep my $1700 and filter the oil.

Big Perm

Budtender
I see you dabble in DIY just a bit.....
Those are simple vacuum pumps, like for AC and stuff, you can shop around for a great deal on an oil free, no biggie there really if it is oil or not, but the water side. A simple air dryer or water trap will do. Just like the pump, you don't have to pay that cool sticker price. If you can keep the water out of your oil. You'll only have to change it out once in a great while.

D

Deleted member 60

So have you weighed pre freeze dried product and apres' dried product to see what kinda water weight is removed during the process?

Would love to see this process in action and squish some of that dried yum to see what happens. You have a press/etc...correct? (so you can show us the fun/end result?)

Somebody needs to ghetto up one of these. After seeing some threads here with dosers and other automated grow equipment/etc.... (LOL) I'd say that few of ya are nerdy enough to pull it off. Heeeheee.....

Big Perm

Budtender
Also ice cream sandwiches!
Somebody needs to ghetto up one of these. After seeing some threads here with dosers and other automated grow equipment/etc.... (LOL) I'd say that few of ya are nerdy enough to pull it off. Heeeheee.....
Shit, I'd make one just to be able to space program some Schwan's Oreo Cookie ice cream sandwiches.
*Disclaimer- I am in no way affiliated with Schwan's, or the space program. That you know of.

shimz

vapest
Ghetto DIY freeze drying not possible. Cheap vacuum pump not possible. You get what you pay for in this case. Besides, the price is already quite cheap at $2000 shipped including mylar bags, bag sealer, pump and oil.

The cheap vac pumps measure their vacuum in mm of mercury which is wholly inadequate for what we need. Another system, millitorr is required to measure the atmosphere (or lack thereof) in the chamber. My pump will get down in the low 100's millitorr which barely registers on the mm Hg scale. Also the water trap would need to have a badass refrigeration unit of its own to be effective at these pressures.