Freeze dryer in da house!

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Well this weekend we should be trimming and freeze drying some bud. It's my first time and I can't wait. We did start taking the fan leafs off tonight. If anyone has any do's or don'ts for me I would really appreciate it. I'll take some pitchers of before and after. Also can't wait to see the numbers. I'll post the thc numbers with the rest of the test results.
How do you test for THC content?

D

Deleted member 60

Hmmmmm......I wonder how this went? Anyone ever heard of/seen freeze dried bud? It seems like a lot of expense for bud and I'm not sure what the intent is. From what I see with hash...I'm guessing it would come out of the dryer dry/brittle and would then start to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. To retain the dryness you'd have to mylar it/seal it >immediately< with one of their oxygen absorber discs. It'd be a BIG bag of pot though w/no moisture in it. All for $100...LOL. Ahh...legality.

FWIW...My hash comes out dry/brittle but within 10 minutes it starts to turn into a taffy-like consistency. It stays like that for weeks and dries out fully as time goes on...if I don't smoke it all first. The taffy is very good shit...burns very well and melts/bubbles like crazy.

If yer out there let's hear a report on this approach.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@stiickygreen
The Cryo Cure idea is neat but way too baller for me

Maybe someday when I grow up.
Not buying what they are selling. Yes, you speed up drying but that ain't the cure. you cannot speed up the natural degradation of things (like the chlorophyl) for the best smokable flower.

If you are in a commercial setting looking for a way to get fresher product to the masses it has a place. After the time-lapse that all the testing and regulations place between you and fresh dispo flower, it is probably gonna do bettter in that long, mylar cure. It's efficient, but not necessarily better.

For concentrates it makes sense, but to me it only makes sense in a commercial setting where you can write off the expense, or factor it into the bottom line price of your flower. For the homegrower I would not even consider this a goal.

Now for the hobbyist, any expense can be justified. I dig play money and the fun things it can buy - I just don't see the cost/benefit for me.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I could definitely see the food side of it, and if I had one the weed stuff might be the occasional experiment while preserving garden stuff.

I grow flower for smoke, and I think the long dry and cure is better for that delivery system. For fresh pressed rosin you can't do it unless all the moisture is gone so for that one portion of the game I can see it. Let stuff hang for two weeks, or get it processed in a day - Hmmmmmm :unsure: 😜

D

Deleted member 60

I haven't smoked any flower for a year or so now...maybe more. Just gunks the fuck out of my lungs these days. I do agree though...and shoot for a 2-3 week long drying period for the wife's smokin' buds. Then they cure for up to a year ;-) Some gets real nice...some doesn't. Definitely strain dependent...

90% of what I grow is made into bubble hash. I spent years freezing/micro-plane-ing and chopping that shit like it was fine Peruvian blow...all to get it dry enough to smoke properly. By the time you got one run dry you basically have to start another...LOL. It's dry Af here and it would still take 6 weeks or more. Enter the Freeze Dryer.

What used to be 4 bags (not including the 220 catch bag) of all different color hash in the same run...some that bubbled and some that just smoked...is now all pretty much the same color/consistency. Since I smoke it all myself/give it away to friends/family (no snobs...LOL...'er yer out) I've only been running the 220 catch bag...the 72....and the 25 these days. All the goodness hits the 72 bag all mixed up nicely...and the FD dries it so nicely it's full on bub...every crumb. The 25 is given away for folks to bake with or I put it in my CBD salve. Fun stuff. All in 24-27 hours depending on "how dry" you want it. I don't like the powdery stuff so I freeze in for an hour in the freezer....take it to the FD....freeze dry it for 4 hours...then circumvent the program to go into an 18 hour dry cycle. If it isn't where I want it to be I put it back in for a few more hours. Again...depends on the hash.

It's all a hobby here these days. Well worth the expenditure for the product it returns. I have no interest drying buds in it...and I've yet to do any food in it. Wasn't why I bought it. Either way...it saves me tons of hassle and makes a far better product. Drying in the air is Ok...did it for years...but you loose terps and it's a completely different product in the end. Good...just not as good as this method, IMO.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I haven't smoked any flower for a year or so now...maybe more. Just gunks the fuck out of my lungs these days. I do agree though...and shoot for a 2-3 week long drying period for the wife's smokin' buds. Then they cure for up to a year ;-) Some gets real nice...some doesn't. Definitely strain dependent...

90% of what I grow is made into bubble hash. I spent years freezing/micro-plane-ing and chopping that shit like it was fine Peruvian blow...all to get it dry enough to smoke properly. By the time you got one run dry you basically have to start another...LOL. It's dry Af here and it would still take 6 weeks or more. Enter the Freeze Dryer.

What used to be 4 bags (not including the 220 catch bag) of all different color hash in the same run...some that bubbled and some that just smoked...is now all pretty much the same color/consistency. Since I smoke it all myself/give it away to friends/family (no snobs...LOL...'er yer out) I've only been running the 220 catch bag...the 72....and the 25 these days. All the goodness hits the 72 bag all mixed up nicely...and the FD dries it so nicely it's full on bub...every crumb. The 25 is given away for folks to bake with or I put it in my CBD salve. Fun stuff. All in 24-27 hours depending on "how dry" you want it. I don't like the powdery stuff so I freeze in for an hour in the freezer....take it to the FD....freeze dry it for 4 hours...then circumvent the program to go into an 18 hour dry cycle. If it isn't where I want it to be I put it back in for a few more hours. Again...depends on the hash.

It's all a hobby here these days. Well worth the expenditure for the product it returns. I have no interest drying buds in it...and I've yet to do any food in it. Wasn't why I bought it. Either way...it saves me tons of hassle and makes a far better product. Drying in the air is Ok...did it for years...but you loose terps and it's a completely different product in the end. Good...just not as good as this method, IMO.
I’ve heard they are awesome for drying bubble hash. It’s nice to hear confirmation of that from someone here.

D

Deleted member 60

I’ve heard they are awesome for drying bubble hash. It’s nice to hear confirmation of that from someone here.
It's a lot of cash just to make hash...but it does work very nicely. They'd sell a shit ton of em if they could work up a smaller version with only 1...maybe 2 trays instead of 4-5. Most folks will not even fill one tray. Doing such a thing takes a couple of pounds of weed. ;-)

D

Deleted member 60

I have yet to try it...but I've heard things like fruits...strawberries especially...are crazy good FD'd. Another thing I saw/heard of was a lady sending her son in Iraq FD'd Ice Cream Sandwiches...cut into squares. She said he told her he barely got the box open before they were gone.