Favorite Weed From The Past

pharmfreshnc

In the early 70s, Panama Red, Hawaiian, Columbian gold or red, Thai sticks, were at the top of our lists. But you just never knew back then, I remember buying 2 one lb. bricks of some Mexican for 100 each, that is still to this day, the best i ever smoked. I actually had folks bringing it back because it was too strong to smoke.
Got some of that Columbian gold also, second best I smoked back then. Really ashame didnt know
how to preserve those gentics.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Back in 1977 we smoked brick mexican and columbian dirt weed. Every now and then you got something
good. But I bought a sack from a friend in 77 that is still the best I have ever seen. It was a Panama Red
that they were calling redbud. It was the time or lack of quality maybe that made this weed so good,
but it was psychedelic. Really potent. Planted some seed in my grannies greenhouse and it got found
and destroyed. Really would like to have those seeds.
I believe we got some of the same Panama red, it was a very unusual high, I questioned if it had been sprayed with something, I often think of that Panama red weekend! We paid top dollar but wow!

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
This is the part that confuses me , alotta comments are saying best they ever smoked was decades ago same as me but history is telling us THC levels have only increased over the years so you’d think weed would be more potent today. Maybe I’m missing something ? I personally think back in the 80s smoking weed my eyes looked a lot more wasted than most weed I smoke today 🤷🏼‍♂️

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
This is the part that confuses me , alotta comments are saying best they ever smoked was decades ago same as me but history is telling us THC levels have only increased over the years so you’d think weed would be more potent today. Maybe I’m missing something ? I personally think back in the 80s smoking weed my eyes looked a lot more wasted than most weed I smoke today 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think THC is only part of the picture when it comes to potency and effect. I think it's the distinct cannabinoid profile of each strain that dictates effect.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I think THC is only part of the picture when it comes to potency and effect. I think it's the distinct cannabinoid profile of each strain that dictates effect.
I think people have become too hung up on THC content in flower. Stronger doesn't always equal better and I personally don't enjoy strong flower as much as flavorful flower that I can actually enjoy for a bit without getting blasted.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
What I've gathered in my recent, albeit limited research, is that before growing moved indoors the breeders of the 60's and prior favored "narrow leaf" plants for their superior effect. "Broad leaf" was considered inferior at that time. Prohibition and the war on drugs flipped the script and moved grow ops indoors where the shortened height and flowering times of broad leaf became desirable. Many of the old school narrow leaf strains were probably lost forever.

Of course, we all know this already, but unless you are old enough to remember smoking some of the old school strains mentioned here, you've likely only ever smoked watered-down genetics. Myself included as someone who's first toke was in the 90's. The stuff we got from Amsterdam had some magic still back then, but I've personally never smoked the Panama Reds or Acapulco Golds. Wish I could've.

D

Deleted member 60

@Ozjet68 ......what you may be missing is that bitch called TOLERANCE. Back then I'm guessing very few folks smoked as much as some of us (still) smoke today.....and yes...some of the Mexi was far from being memorable......but like the others commenting here...there were times when you'd hit the bullseye and come away with something truly special. It alwaus sucked to be poor then cus the really good shit was had by luck....and it didn't last. POOF. GONE.

Ring..ring....sometimes right after you just left/got home/had time to smoke one....

"Hey man...you.....'

"Nope....all gone"

Seems we all got a lot of the same weed back then. In my circle....The Red "Meshabecan" in '74 was the first smoke that I remember being thick, spicy and eye droppin' shit. You wanted to smoke more but nobody could roll another one/pack another bowl.... and the album was skipping....and everybody just sat there.... it was also a whopping $20 a lid.... pricey shit for the day...LOL

the first weed I ever dealt was from a $70 half kilo of mexibrick an older guy (30'ish) we knew was bringing back from Texas. I sold about 1/2 of it and the rest went into stash jars we had buried in the woods...LOL. My parents were already wise to all of it so I could never take anything home. :ROFLMAO:

The lumbos....gold and Red. Never forget that little penner we all shared at the bus stop in the AM 74-75'ish...yup....trips. Shadows on the bus wall....everything moving....

Thai sticks. My bro got em by the bundle. $185 per bundle....somewhere around 20 stick per. We'd unwrap em and bag em....and he'd give us all of the shake leftover.

Started growing full time in '90. Lucked into 6 "Basic 5" clones...the result of a pop of old seeds from some hippy west of Boulder's old SSSC seed stash in '91. Grew that clone for 15 years exclusively....and while it never was a yielder...it would put colors on the backside of your eyelids before punching your lights out. Tasted like hash/pine/skunk......and would turn heads if you simply opened the container in a crowded room. (that old skool skunk krunk)

Tolerance these days procludes me from saying whether or not the weed today is "stronger". There is far more consistency today though...for sure....and a lot more variety as far as terps. Like @TreeFarmerCharlie ...I'm more into a good tastin joint or hit of rosin these days than thinking about potency.....cus it all basically works the same so taste reigns supreme here currently.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Potency sells. Always. But there were less weed growers then than now.

On one side you have increased THC, at the expense of who knows what other compounds that were also psychoactive - on the other side you have a LOT of herms out there. People not selectively breeding or creating genetic issues that weren't there before.

Following the genetics now days seems the only option.

pharmfreshnc

Cannabinoid profiles are different, tolerances lower, its not absolutely all about THC levels. Just like
good liquor or wine. The experience is better with say Jack Daniels rather than Everclear. Terroir, inputs,
care of growing all affect experience. Personal perception, where you are and your mood, the company you
are with. Its not pure science. Its many things.

pharmfreshnc

@Ozjet68 ......what you may be missing is that bitch called TOLERANCE. Back then I'm guessing very few folks smoked as much as some of us (still) smoke today.....and yes...some of the Mexi was far from being memorable......but like the others commenting here...there were times when you'd hit the bullseye and come away with something truly special. It alwaus sucked to be poor then cus the really good shit was had by luck....and it didn't last. POOF. GONE.

Ring..ring....sometimes right after you just left/got home/had time to smoke one....

"Hey man...you.....'

"Nope....all gone"

Seems we all got a lot of the same weed back then. In my circle....The Red "Meshabecan" in '74 was the first smoke that I remember being thick, spicy and eye droppin' shit. You wanted to smoke more but nobody could roll another one/pack another bowl.... and the album was skipping....and everybody just sat there.... it was also a whopping $20 a lid.... pricey shit for the day...LOL

the first weed I ever dealt was from a $70 half kilo of mexibrick an older guy (30'ish) we knew was bringing back from Texas. I sold about 1/2 of it and the rest went into stash jars we had buried in the woods...LOL. My parents were already wise to all of it so I could never take anything home. :ROFLMAO:

The lumbos....gold and Red. Never forget that little penner we all shared at the bus stop in the AM 74-75'ish...yup....trips. Shadows on the bus wall....everything moving....

Thai sticks. My bro got em by the bundle. $185 per bundle....somewhere around 20 stick per. We'd unwrap em and bag em....and he'd give us all of the shake leftover.

Started growing full time in '90. Lucked into 6 "Basic 5" clones...the result of a pop of old seeds from some hippy west of Boulder's old SSSC seed stash in '91. Grew that clone for 15 years exclusively....and while it never was a yielder...it would put colors on the backside of your eyelids before punching your lights out. Tasted like hash/pine/skunk......and would turn heads if you simply opened the container in a crowded room. (that old skool skunk krunk)

Tolerance these days procludes me from saying whether or not the weed today is "stronger". There is far more consistency today though...for sure....and a lot more variety as far as terps. Like @TreeFarmerCharlie ...I'm more into a good tastin joint or hit of rosin these days than thinking about potency.....cus it all basically works the same so taste reigns supreme here currently.
Sticky green I remember the Meshebecan/Michoacan people really did pronounce it that way.
I do agree with MtRaindog, those narrow leaf sativas were all there really was. They simple dont exist today.
At least the 40 year old versions.

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk

"Hey man...you.....'

"Nope....all gone"

I couldn't have said it better. We all talk about what used to be. I was lucky where I grew up and had access to shit that normal folks never would have.
Was so much "breeding" going on until "High Times" came to town. That pretty much ended it. Pretty sad really.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I think people have become too hung up on THC content in flower. Stronger doesn't always equal better and I personally don't enjoy strong flower as much as flavorful flower that I can actually enjoy for a bit without getting blasted.
I'm right there with you. You have to admit though, it's kinda nice having the keys to the spaceship handy whenever you want to go for a ride.

Tolerance is also a biggie as already stated. I wish I could try then what I have now to compare.

The best stuff that I can recall a name was White Rhino or any BC grown bright green/red hair moved to MN in the late 90's to early 00's.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
..what you may be missing is that bitch called TOLERANCE. Back then I'm guessing very few folks smoked as much as some of us (still) smoke today.....and yes...some of the Mexi was far from being memorable......but like the others commenting here...there were times when you'd hit the bullseye and come away with something truly special. It alwaus sucked to be poor then cus the really good shit was had by luck....and it didn't last. POOF. GONE.
I was not anywhere near where people grew except the oddball forest grower. Shipped in was the only option, so that is exactly what we went through. I kept a spare $20 in the wallet just for emergency purchases such as that (like keeping a spare $200 around now days)

I think tolerance swings lots of ways too. Not just THC level. I think the variety of strains we pull on here (for example) prevents the tolerance somewhat. Right now I have 17 different jars of weed. Had 18 but I just ground the last of my 4th Gear that was from last Christmas. I have a doob-tube for each strain with a nug or three ground up for bowls, and to make sure I don't forget any of my stock and forget to check it for months.

The sheer variety of THC levels, terps, other canabinoids etc. just in my little collection would blow the mind of a 70's stoner and I think keeps us from getting too tolerant of one strain.

D

Deleted member 60

We are all different/have had different exposures/habits along the way/time spent that IMO, play into tolerances. . I find that my tolerance (high) doesn't change much with the strains I smoke these days. It's up there, for sure....after 50 years of daily toking. That's one reason that I don't usually just smoke flower anymore (and smoke for taste if I do). Lather some rosin on that paper to make it burn forever......or...my favorite....just squish the flower and do a bong hit of rosin from a clean bong. If I smoke only flower I can feel my lungs seriously gunking up within a day.

I agree about the skinny leaf though. All we got in HS was Mexican weed.....and occasionally Leb blonde hash. Some of that shit sucked...but some was muy visual. I can remember many a concert with my friends where we'd toke a few up and then everyone would just stand there with their mouths open...like statues....stoned to the bone...watching the purty colors and bombs going off...

I didn't know anyone who grew in my youth. EVERYTHING was imported in. There was no green bud (or trichomes) as we know it/them today. Mexibricks ruled the day. Stems ruled the day. Seeds ruled the day (sometimes the weed was 1/2 seed)

The first steady flow of homegrown "KGB" (Killer Green bud) or "The Kind" we saw was that skunk pot many have referenced that surfaced in the early 80's. After that wave there was another huge wave (here in CO anyway) of something called "Thai weed". Wasn't sticks.....or as potent as those '77-'78 offerings were....but it was good. When the skunk hit the other thing that happened was that prices went up. At the time Mexi bags were $50-60......but the skunk went for $25-35 per quarter z....or $100-120 an ounce. We were shocked at the prices but it was a step up in pretty much everything across the board. LOL

The 70's (and early 80's, for sure) wasn't all about weed for me like life/things are today. What a cornucopia of good drugs we had. Everyday there was some different shaped of 'cid...or speeder...or downer. (and later..the White Lady). Take yer lunch money out to the south side of the school (where we could smoke cigs before school but it was mostly circles of joints being passed)...and find your drug du jour....heehee