Dry sifting to make some hash

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I don’t grow enough to jump to bubble hash. Watched frenchy video yesterday and hard to choke on what he only got from 1lb. Plus hard to want to add water to weed cause I know what happened to my weed when I was a teenager and mom washed my jeans with it in my pocket still.
You get a better quality with an ice water wash than you do with dry sift or dry ice, but you do have to dry it properly, or it will get moldy. Bubble Bowls work really well for smaller quantities and you can use them with or without water. https://www.bubblebowlkits.com/index.html

Autodoctor

You get a better quality with an ice water wash than you do with dry sift or dry ice, but you do have to dry it properly, or it will get moldy. Bubble Bowls work really well for smaller quantities and you can use them with or without water. https://www.bubblebowlkits.com/index.html
will check this out. Want to try to make a quality piece of hash at least once in my life

Autodoctor

So here’s a budget diy keif press from Home Depot I made today. 1/2 pipe nipple, cap, bolt cut to fit and remove any threaded parts, c clamp. I made this only for small scale use. Since won’t make but a few grams worth each grow.Was trying to make small so puck fits perfect in pipe.may go down a size from 1/2 to 3/8 and see. Now to use some better dry sift since I know it does work. Add a few dimes in the cap so the keif puck doesn’t get into the end cap. Can see the presidents head stamp on it. Lol5E73B690-5CC9-4BDA-9D72-34D27A0E3D49.jpeg518149EB-FC5D-4449-9359-EB533E0099AD.jpeg81ACAFCB-AFD1-482B-9B32-AD9309B5C917.jpeg67BB5AAE-EEAF-4FBB-9562-779B37FAE870.jpeg83339220-BE7A-4597-82FA-E2290DF435CC.jpegFE018AE3-93DD-495B-8345-DDBF14AE1581.jpeg

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
... but I can appreciate people's experimental hash projects and whatever they pull as a result.
Oh I love DIY, but people are way too aggressive with whatever material they are trying to collect kief from. Even with the bubble hash people have a misconception that its the ice that knocks the trichomes off but the ice it just there to make stuff cold and brittle. It's just the vortex action of the swirling water that knocks the trichomes loose.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Hey now. I’m a trying. Start off bad and get a little better. Have to crawl before I can walk
We all started off poorly. The biggest thing is what your goal is. Once you have a stash built up, you aim more for quality. One thing that starts people off on the wrong foot is "Dry" sift. I have found that almost dry is better. You don't want the stuff crumbly-dry or you get more leafy bits small enough to fit through screens. First and only run I do is through a bucket-grid with a 12-holes-per-inch screen. Found big stainless bowls they fit on which is nice. Metal stays cool.
IMG_9302.JPG
Lots of vegetable matter in it at first, but that big screen is the only one I "work" the stuff over. The rest is just sifting.
IMG_9303.JPG
Found a flour sifter that's 220m. Nothing special, just swirling and tapping until the stuff up top looks mostly green.
IMG_9305.JPG
This is now ready to cure a bit. I'll let it set in my drying area for a week or so then sift it through a set of classification/grading screens of various microns.
IMG_9307.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A few other tidbits.

I keep the stuff loose until use. Just personal preference.

The stuff that is left over I don't use for bubble hash. it's already broken down enough that it would be a green mess. This has a lot of little nugs in it so I could dry sift it again later and get more. I just don't need more. This is the primo.

When I do run bubble it's with nugs. I used sugar leaves that were immediately frozen after wet trimming - but since I hang the whole plant dry now the leaves are already past 'bubble use' moisture.

When you run bubble hash get the water iced and supe cold before adding weed, then add more ice and let it soak for about 20 minutes. Fully hydrated stuff won't break down as quick and you'll get less chlorophyl leaching over time.

Autodoctor

So far just testing the waters and so far like. Honestly a great little experience just dabbling in it so yes end goal is quality. This was just some extra trimmings I had so no to move on with next grow and upgrade some things to get a better quality. The small amounts I have made was just given to buddies to try out. So no time to get real. Thanks for all the info

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's part two. I found some Chinese crap classification sifters and got every micron they had. Random bowl that it fits on, and a random lid to set the vibrator on. I have some anti-static brushes I use to brush off the screens, but I don't force stuff through the screens. Sometimes drumming on the trays with two brushes works better than the vibrator.
IMG_9339.JPG
This is the stuff that stayed above the 120, the 96 and the 75. Beach sand.
IMG_9342.JPG

Autodoctor

Here's part two. I found some Chinese crap classification sifters and got every micron they had. Random bowl that it fits on, and a random lid to set the vibrator on. I have some anti-static brushes I use to brush off the screens, but I don't force stuff through the screens. Sometimes drumming on the trays with two brushes works better than the vibrator.
View attachment 110806
View attachment 110807
I just ordered those same sifters. Thinking now maybe I should have just gotten the bubble hash bags instead

Autodoctor

If you are doing smaller batches then I like these "Bubble Bowls" for that https://www.bubblebowlkits.com/#!/Bubble-Bowls-Dri-Shake-3-Stage-Kit/p/50848959
I checked on them through Amazon and was sold out.
View attachment 110806
View attachment 110807
so spent hour looking at micron size and was a little confused because of all the diff measurements but on the micron size is the 75 where your gonna get your best product or the 120. My set had the 66,96,120

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I checked on them through Amazon and was sold out.so spent hour looking at micron size and was a little confused because of all the diff measurements but on the micron size is the 75 where your gonna get your best product or the 120. My set had the 66,96,120
That'll work great. Depending on strain the primo stuff may end up in different trays. The stuff in the pics above I combined the two sandy ones and I'll decarb the other stuff. It would be a great bowl topper, but I have the better grade stuff so it'll end up in some strong-ass edibles. Here's a chart I found.
Microns.JPG
The 120-bag it may be trichomes that are fat and greasy but it'll still have leaf trash in it. So it's a toss-up on whether or not it's worth the effort to clean up. I have tried putting it in a tin with a 62% rH pack so the veg matter rehydrates a little and resifting it got a bunch out.

Here's one helpful for sorting through the stuff on Amazon. You can find random non-weed stuff to use. Industrial grade baking stuff is cheaper than something labeled as a weed product.
micron-mesh.JPG
I waste nothing. It goes to decarb or back into the worm bin to eventually feed back to the plants. What gets saved is based on your stash, and there's no right or wrong about it.