Dry sifting to make some hash

Autodoctor

So. Wanted to learn some on dry sifting some kief. So started off on the cheap side of things to see if I will like. Hate the waisting of trim. Larf and some buds. Did put in a few good buds and grinder all. used hand grinder to grind buds. Sifted everything. Even did a few pucks. Didn’t really care to much. I did get a cheap sifter but did the job. Wanted better and I still wanna keep on cheaper side till I do more and then will move up to better multi screen sifters. maybe a heat press. But for this run I did some more and wanted to add some heat and not press with the following the tee handle cylinder press. Already have some pucks made. Gave away to buddy’s . 2 gram pucks. I didn’t like the screen size so I pain stakingly used my hand grinder and used lower part with keif screen to shift again. Came out better but lot less quantity. No problem. So have spent most of the day goggling and I’m not pinching a corner of a baggie all day, not walking around with it I’m my shoe. So retarded. But seen a couple that interested me.one heat up water in a glass jar and put kief in parchment paper and roll. Seen another put in parchment paper. Cover with moist paper towel. Put in oven for few min and press. Do a couple times then put in fridge. Or use a curling iron.But so many conflicting ways. I seek the press kief god to tell me the easiest way and direction to go for beginners that really doesn’t have much to press and will come out not looking so bad. Thanks for the time sorry so damn long of a post. Beers on me. Some before and after pic. Pucks were made from not resulting
EF49524C-432A-42A6-BBB8-574F70F0B5FC.jpeg5663F589-1508-4B0F-A4FC-B2209ECF8F91.jpegEA252D04-4680-4E3B-B922-82BB7455838F.jpeg4DB36AB8-214C-4E33-8BF7-525978E2615E.jpeg70B0C405-6ECF-40CC-A3BA-F36239E90393.jpeg

Attachments

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
If you want a better quality for cheap next time?
Try this,
stick your product in the freezer, now go in your mom's, sis,gf etc panty hose drawer.
Grab you some knee highs or whatever hose. Take your "product" and stick it in panty hose.(note)The more you stuff in there, the bigger the gaps get from the stretch. Get the idea?
Oh, while you're still in her drawers,
find where she keeps her vibrator assortment.
Stick a vibrator on the side of her panty and push down to her knees. You get the idea.
May the kief fall! lol
Jokes a side, it does work great.
Instead of grinding all you trim up. Freeze it and you can crush it easily while it is frozen.
Then empty the bag into the panty hose and refreeze it and you're good to go.
Find you a container you can drop the pouch in and stretch the hose around the rim and
screw or snap the lid back on and shake back and forth.
You can get a decent result if you don't have a "vibrating" mechanism.
Grinding the trim, you are heating and melting the resin heads to the plant material and you're not gonna get much quality hash.

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Nice. I recently got into dry sifting myself too. I bought a set of screens and a kief press.

Once my flower room is complete I’m going to do a run myself, next weekend I hope.
I made a 100 micron screen sifter inside a closed plastic tote. I use a back massager to vibrate the sides.
I built my rosin press out of a 6" vise.
Makes killer rosin.
I go the cheapest routes I can. lol

bk-og

Moose cocks, or bust
I made a 100 micron screen sifter inside a closed plastic tote. I use a back massager to vibrate the sides.
I built my rosin press out of a 6" vise.
Makes killer rosin.
I go the cheapest routes I can. lol
Nice. I bought a set of 140 micron, 105 micron and a 74micron in aluminum frames and a 4 ton kief press. I don’t do dabs, I mostly just smoke hash these days with the odd doobie thrown in daily.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Nice. I bought a set of 140 micron, 105 micron and a 74micron in aluminum frames and a 4 ton kief press. I don’t do dabs, I mostly just smoke hash these days with the odd doobie thrown in daily.
There's an art to it.
You want the cleanest product you can get. Once you start, you can't fuck up any part of it, by spilling and getting plant material in your end product.
When you get it right, you can make it look like amber glass when you press it.
I try and keep it cold as possible.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You can also sift it multiple times through the same screen and catch more junk each time.

Iso-clean the screens before every run. Buy cheap isopropyl in bulk if you want to dry sift - just for cleaning. Stainless screens are best.

Get a big flour sifter for your "work bag" - since it's not advertised as "weed stuff" you get one for $3.99. After you get most of your good stuff through that screen going to the 160m, 120m, etc. afterwards is quicker.

Autodoctor

If you want a better quality for cheap next time?
Try this,
stick your product in the freezer, now go in your mom's, sis,gf etc panty hose drawer.
Grab you some knee highs or whatever hose. Take your "product" and stick it in panty hose.(note)The more you stuff in there, the bigger the gaps get from the stretch. Get the idea?
Oh, while you're still in her drawers,
find where she keeps her vibrator assortment.
Stick a vibrator on the side of her panty and push down to her knees. You get the idea.
May the kief fall! lol
Jokes a side, it does work great.
Instead of grinding all you trim up. Freeze it and you can crush it easily while it is frozen.
Then empty the bag into the panty hose and refreeze it and you're good to go.
Find you a container you can drop the pouch in and stretch the hose around the rim and
screw or snap the lid back on and shake back and forth.
You can get a decent result if you don't have a "vibrating" mechanism.
Grinding the trim, you are heating and melting the resin heads to the plant material and you're not gonna get much quality hash.
I have pleanty more fixing to chop to try again. I found out about freezing after the fact. But like the pantyhose idea. Wife has pleanty of vibrating toys of needs and will need to buy some panty hose though and will try that next time. Hell I May make the old lady wear the panty hose. And lay on some parchment paper and well I will vibrate the shit out of her all right. Make some hash and get some exercise.
That kief has 60 seconds to come out those stockings. Think I will name that strain a quick piece of hash

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have pleanty more fixing to chop to try again. I found out about freezing after the fact. But like the pantyhose idea. Wife has pleanty of vibrating toys of needs and will need to buy some panty hose though and will try that next time. Hell I May make the old lady wear the panty hose. And lay on some parchment paper and well I will vibrate the shit out of her all right. Make some hash and get some exercise.
That kief has 60 seconds to come out those stockings. Think I will name that strain a quick piece of hash
Hahaha! You got the idea!

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I made a silkscreen tube its about 3' x 11". Its powered by a small motor but could be hand cranked its pretty fast. Think i used 200 mesh.
I dry the product im going to sieve, grind it trough a pizza screen with a 2x2 chunk of pine. The screen kinda like expanded matal. Small diamond shaped holes faily sharp, abrasive. I have this attached to a cut off 5 gallon pail. Made it for sifting, worm castings but also works real well for braking up material befor making kief. I sometimes even wash it LOL.
I have an outbuilding non heated. I do the sieving when its real cold like -15 c.
It only takes like 10 rotations and its pretty much done dropping kief. Nothing g sticks to screen or silkscreen.
Still have to try the press into a block, decarb and repress.
I think i have a pick prototype. Ill se if i can find.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you are making dry sift, I would try to stay away from blades cutting stuff up. The perfect hash would be the leaves drying perfectly flat, then shaving off the trichomes with a razor leaving all the green stuff behind.
Rubbing the perfectly dried 62% material gently is gonna be best. As many times as you can, knowing that the first run or three will be the best quality.

As it dries more you'll just get more foliage bits in the mix that need to be sifted out. If you chop the stuff up it'll dry really quick and you have green hash.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
You can also sift it multiple times through the same screen and catch more junk each time.

Iso-clean the screens before every run. Buy cheap isopropyl in bulk if you want to dry sift - just for cleaning. Stainless screens are best.

Get a big flour sifter for your "work bag" - since it's not advertised as "weed stuff" you get one for $3.99. After you get most of your good stuff through that screen going to the 160m, 120m, etc. afterwards is quicker.
I got some silk screen from a buddy who runs a T-Shirt shop they have several kinds I use a flour sifter then sift thru silk screen I use some 3/4" sch 40 pvc female to female joint a nickel fits inside perfectly fill with dry sift another nickle a 10mm socket and a large C-Clamp to squeeze her down to 1gr my buddies call them "nickels" I been eyeing one of those pollen presses wasn't sure if they are worth the $$??????

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I’m talking breaking up bud. You can’t get the goods out of the inside if you don’t turn it to a finer grade. Leaves would do fine but I just run it all through the course mesh first.
A05ABEA6-A602-4487-BB62-81D42F0BD7A8.jpeg

View attachment IMG_1600.MOV

7E011009-C9B5-44FA-9FD2-6B035FD75CC7.jpeg
Not shooting for real pure. Just something easy quick and would pass for a good aphgan black. I think these batches were full plants. I still need to press, heat, press to finish up.
The tromel is just a proof of concept to test out. Works great as far as sifting, but I need to change how the tube is removed and reloaded,motor is a little weak as well.
It’s all trial and error till you figure things out.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’m talking breaking up bud. You can’t get the goods out of the inside if you don’t turn it to a finer grade.
It depends on how high you want your quality. If you freeze the buds they crumble really easy by hand. If you do it still in a zip-lock you can just turn the bag inside out and rinse it in the bucket - or brush it off into the screen.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
There is good resin inside the buds, but unless your buds are airy (lots of hash strains are bred for this) there are no real trichomes to wash off anyway.

All the stuff grows smooshed together and nothing you can do will get a trichome to wash or sift off of it. Great smoke, bad for hash, and the process won't change that.

IF the buds are airy, it will both wash and sift fine without blades.

m4s73r

The Laziest
I’m talking breaking up bud. You can’t get the goods out of the inside if you don’t turn it to a finer grade. Leaves would do fine but I just run it all through the course mesh first.
View attachment 109348

View attachment 109349

View attachment 109350
Not shooting for real pure. Just something easy quick and would pass for a good aphgan black. I think these batches were full plants. I still need to press, heat, press to finish up.
The tromel is just a proof of concept to test out. Works great as far as sifting, but I need to change how the tube is removed and reloaded,motor is a little weak as well.
It’s all trial and error till you figure things out.
That sifter is HUGE. How much plant material can you get in that thing?

Dry sift is a seasonal thing for me. Once it gets below freezing I take all my trim/larf/overage out of the deep freeze and run it through the sifter in the garage. By keeping it frozen it sifts really easy and you have less plant material. I'll run it through a 150 screen for 30 min. Then ill swap to the 110 screen and run it for a couple of hours. If I do nothing else, i end up with good 3/4 melt. If I spend the time to do some static tech I can get full melt. But im just storing the 150 runs till I get my new press and then ill run it all.