DIY Cure Box/Humidor/Storage

I saw somthing on some weed site that reccomended doing somthing as simple as triming up the buds and putting them in paper bags in the produce bin in the fridge. He said to open the lttle slider to regulate the humidity to around 57- 60%. Wet trim the buds and roll up loosely in brown paper bags. this just slows down the drying process and keeps the terps in the flower to get it dry enough to put in jars. I think he said after about a week the humidity would drop to around 47%. Then put in jars and burp like 2 times a day for 1st 3 days and then 1 time a day for three days. Then leave sealed for like two weeks. Worth a try...
That is too easy not to try... I have a new trackable hydrometer on the way and once I get it I will put it inside a Braums paper bag and pop it inside the crisper drawer for 1 week and see what temp and humidity range it provides. The only thing that kinda scares me about this method is not having a fan with constant air flow down there but hell maybe it's not needed as long as the humidity goes one way and that is down.
So just read my new hydrometer and after 3 days in my crisper rolled up in a paper grocery bag it says the range is 36F-40F 44%-49%. I have some next gen Adub X Animal cookies that will be ready for harvest in about 2-3 weeks and I think I am going to try drying a couple colas with this method just for fun. The weed is definitely going to sweat with that cold of temps but it looks like the humidity inside the bag needs a bit of moisture. I'll report back my results as I am still kinda skeptical of not having any air flow inside the paper bag but hopefully the paper bag keeps everything balanced.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So just read my new hydrometer and after 3 days in my crisper rolled up in a paper grocery bag it says the range is 36F-40F 44%-49%. I have some next gen Adub X Animal cookies that will be ready for harvest in about 2-3 weeks and I think I am going to try drying a couple colas with this method just for fun. The weed is definitely going to sweat with that cold of temps but it looks like the humidity inside the bag needs a bit of moisture. I'll report back my results as I am still kinda skeptical of not having any air flow inside the paper bag but hopefully the paper bag keeps everything balanced.
There's a Malawi style cob method that actually ferments the weed. I tried it and wasn't a fan, but it wasn't bad. Biggest thing is that it doesn't mold. Aside from that you should get some level of acceptable cure - but I think it might be a method for the stuff you're putting on the streets instead of the headstash :)

The biggest thing is whether or not you are going to leave it untouched until it's done, or if you check on it - which will be like burping oxygen-wise. Then it would also be a pain in the ass checking them if they are wrapped up, then do you replace the paper with new stuff or re-wrap it in moist paper?

I would use some decent size lower stuff for the experiment and not waste any AAA weed

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
kind of crazy...my "friend" "found" some brickweed floating offshore, I know sounds far fetched but thats the story. I havent seen we20210730_194039.jpged like this in 30 years! I am scared to death to smoke it although it dosent smell bad. The cool part is there is a bucnh of what look like viable seeds. It was just crazy to see how compact and still moist /sticky almost like hash. No mold to be found! Also with all my thoughts I have had on curing and all that. I guess there is more than one way to skin a chihuahua.

kind of crazy...my "friend" "found" some brickweed floating offshore, I know sounds far fetched but thats the story. I havent seen weView attachment 96812ed like this in 30 years! I am scared to death to smoke it although it dosent smell bad. The cool part is there is a bucnh of what look like viable seeds. It was just crazy to see how compact and still moist /sticky almost like hash. No mold to be found! Also with all my thoughts I have had on curing and all that. I guess there is more than one way to skin a chihuahua.
Wow does that pic bring back some memories. If it doesn't smell bad I would give it a try in a fresh water bong and see how it hits and I bet it's just like you remember. Prolly get you high a shit too! Bad ass pic man.

Not Given

Has chucked
It had been hot and humid aS hell here, difficult curing. With what you told me I tried a small. Cooler and blue ice and it's working great for the cure. I just put the jars in the bottom of the cooler, put a small towel, then a large blue ice. Constantly 50f 50%. Drastic effect on the jars.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
kind of crazy...my "friend" "found" some brickweed floating offshore, I know sounds far fetched but thats the story. I havent seen weView attachment 96812ed like this in 30 years! I am scared to death to smoke it although it dosent smell bad. The cool part is there is a bucnh of what look like viable seeds. It was just crazy to see how compact and still moist /sticky almost like hash. No mold to be found! Also with all my thoughts I have had on curing and all that. I guess there is more than one way to skin a chihuahua.
Square Grouper - we got some of that in the late 70's. Wish I had some of the beans we threw out.

It had been hot and humid aS hell here, difficult curing. With what you told me I tried a small. Cooler and blue ice and it's working great for the cure. I just put the jars in the bottom of the cooler, put a small towel, then a large blue ice. Constantly 50f 50%. Drastic effect on the jars.
Dude... I think you might just have just NAILED the "Cheap Box" version of our DIY dry/cure box. I am going to wash out a cooler tomorrow and try this and see what kind of range I can get. Great post Not Given. (y)

Not Given

Has chucked
Dude... I think you might just have just NAILED the "Cheap Box" version of our DIY dry/cure box. I am going to wash out a cooler tomorrow and try this and see what kind of range I can get. Great post Not Given. (y)
The size of the cooler and the size of the blue ice affect the temperature and therefore humidity in the cooler and the ice slowly warms so it is not 100% constant. But it is much better than room air, and there is no room in the fridge. I swap blue ice every 12 hours or so.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Square Grouper - we got some of that in the late 70's. Wish I had some of the beans we threw out.
Yeah, bet they didnt worry about it drying at specific temp or RH!!This stuff still scares me. I feel like they spray some kind of funcicide on it. How else could it be that compressed for so long in the hull of a boat and not be covered with mold. It has a wet feel to it and parts of it are shiney and almost greasy. The seeds I wet did not pop. I remember trying to plant seeds years ago and having the same results. They are hard black seeds. A bunch of them. I will pluck some more out and try a few more. A little 2"x 2" brick broke up to look like around an ounce from back in the day . A product of prohibition. I am just glad we have better options today. I want to know who still pays money for this crap. I accidently droped some on the floor and my wife thought it was dogshit.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah, bet they didnt worry about it drying at specific temp or RH!!This stuff still scares me. I feel like they spray some kind of funcicide on it. How else could it be that compressed for so long in the hull of a boat and not be covered with mold. It has a wet feel to it and parts of it are shiney and almost greasy. The seeds I wet did not pop. I remember trying to plant seeds years ago and having the same results. They are hard black seeds. A bunch of them. I will pluck some more out and try a few more. A little 2"x 2" brick broke up to look like around an ounce from back in the day . A product of prohibition. I am just glad we have better options today. I want to know who still pays money for this crap. I accidently droped some on the floor and my wife thought it was dogshit.
Akchewallllly.....
Most of it was fairly primo, then compressed. Resin glands break causing the greasy look, but if it's packaged right (no air) there's no mold, or shouldn't be. How it's unpackaged matters, so break that up.

Only issue we ever saw was saltwater getting in there from a bad seal - and obviously air at some point if it ain't waterproof.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
We were small scale, slinging most of it to have free smoke. Just getting between a QP and a half at a time, so never had a full bale. but I saw mine broken off a bail to get weighed.

The batch we got some that had salt, it was obvious as soon as it dried out a bit and it started to crystalize. We washed it, dried it, and sold that shit ;)

printer

Super Active Member
Here's my drying cabinet in full swing - "Granny's Wardrobe".
View attachment 96864
I never thought of that. I picked up a cabinet that came out of a hotel room that held a TV. I have a few supplies in it but with just sealing up the back I can hang my current crop. You have the two muffin fans up top, I am assuming for exhaust? Or is it circulation. Mind you, it looks like you have another fan hiding behind one branch. Is the white thing a temperature/humidity display, is it controlling anything? I want to get the drying right this time as I this is the forst time I grew with no trouble and nice looking weed (special thanks Mr. H and OLDST1R!).

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I never thought of that. I picked up a cabinet that came out of a hotel room that held a TV. I have a few supplies in it but with just sealing up the back I can hang my current crop. You have the two muffin fans up top, I am assuming for exhaust? Or is it circulation. Mind you, it looks like you have another fan hiding behind one branch. Is the white thing a temperature/humidity display, is it controlling anything? I want to get the drying right this time as I this is the forst time I grew with no trouble and nice looking weed (special thanks Mr. H and OLDST1R!).
The exhaust up top is an AC Infinity "airplate" for cooling cabinets (electronics) and then the muffin fan behind the buds is just to circulate air. A small oscillator works great just setting on the floor.

The sensor is just remote for a monitoring station. No controllers.

And it isn'r air-tight. The fact that the doors don't seal, and the little holes at the bottom/back for wires have blye AC filter over them. Only air coming in.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's a cedar wardrobe which was my main draw. Cedar is used to prevent long term sotrage clothes from molding or getting moths. I gave the inside a rough sanding and cleaned it out before I used it.