DIY Cure Box/Humidor/Storage

The temp controller used for home brew is put on the fridge/ freezer to keep contant 65f. Rh in a fridge is probably really low. I will test it today to see what the high and low RH throughout the day. Im thinking a custom made box to fit the inside of the fridge/ freezer that can pull dry air in and pump humidity out with the check valve air pump setup to regulate the humidity in the box. That would take care of condensation as it would be exhausted out of the box and then the fridge/ freezer as it does to keep fridge from frosting up. If you leave food in the fridge long enough it will dehydrate. The box could be made of anything. Im thinking of making one out of core plastic like the yard signs, I used black core plastic to light proof my growbox. Core plastic is easy to cut and tape together, and clean. This box would be used inside the fridge same as I am doing with my tent and a fan set to pump out anything over 62%. A couple of fans in the box to keep the air moving and thats it. The only problem I see is making the inner "tent box" big enough. You may need to wet trim to get the size of the branches down to fit in the box. Basically just put a small curing box in a temp controlled fridge. The main problem a fridge is getting power inside the sealed fridge for the fans and airpump. This is why I think the chest freezer might be better. As Zaphod mentioned you could build a custom collar out of wood and really dousche it up!
A box inside a box sounds like a very good way to go to me wierdly. Especially if we can give it exactly what temp of dry cool air we want while it exhausts hot humid air and it has a good enough fan for some decent air flow inside the box the whole time.

Q: Is pretty easy to make a box out of core plastic that has a massive door on it with a couple holes for power, temp, and sensor cords air tight?

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I believe I could build a house out of core plastic and ducttape. Also sticky velcro tape. the inner box will be more like a liner in the freezer. Maybe two or three inches of air space between the freezer walls and the box. Using some kind of spacer block system. The box would be the same volume as the freezer would be if it was say packed full of chicken and tv dinners. Because the temp is higher than a normal freezer the cooling system should have no problem cooling the air around the box. An intake or two or three as needed using an air pump to pump in the dry air with check valves on the intake an the exhaust to keep the humidity steady and the dry air from seeping in. You could use the little valve to turn the intakes/exhaust on and off to giv it more/less air flow at different stages. Small air leaks wouldnt be a problem as long as the humidity didnt get too low. Then you would need additional source of moisture. The door would be more like a box top with weatherstrip, or could be built into the collar on the top so it all opens at once. The weight of the chest freezer door would keep enough pressure/vacum from the freezer to keep it sealed. Freezer is definatley the way to go. If the curing box could be removable you could use it for fermenting/ storage/ regular freezer when not drying/ curing. I was looking at getting a chst freezer for home brew before pandemic. they were getting hard to find. Pre pandemic The smaller ones were only like $150. I have an upright freezer but It would be difficult to seal. I have a spare fridge, temp controler,and most of the other stuff. I an thinking of making a small box to test out the whole deal with the condensation and what not to see if anything weird happens with the weed in it.
I have 4 or 5 weeks til my next harvest and will try to throw somthing together to test it out.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I could make this thing awesome for the cost of a couple packs of seeds or what I paid for one HLG light. Probably will go a head and send it on the freezer. Some of my harvests turned out awesome. Sweet, terpy, flowers better than anything I ever had. The last few I had bigger plants and more to deal with and they were awesome looking and smelling, but lost somthing in the dry/cure. I cant move foward growing out all these awesome genetics and then Fn up the last part with a shitty dry/ cure. I love growing but somtimes want to say F it to take that kind of risk and end up with a bunch of OK weed. This will be my "fight for the cure"

I believe I could build a house out of core plastic and ducttape. Also sticky velcro tape. the inner box will be more like a liner in the freezer. Maybe two or three inches of air space between the freezer walls and the box. Using some kind of spacer block system. The box would be the same volume as the freezer would be if it was say packed full of chicken and tv dinners. Because the temp is higher than a normal freezer the cooling system should have no problem cooling the air around the box. An intake or two or three as needed using an air pump to pump in the dry air with check valves on the intake an the exhaust to keep the humidity steady and the dry air from seeping in. You could use the little valve to turn the intakes/exhaust on and off to giv it more/less air flow at different stages. Small air leaks wouldnt be a problem as long as the humidity didnt get too low. Then you would need additional source of moisture. The door would be more like a box top with weatherstrip, or could be built into the collar on the top so it all opens at once. The weight of the chest freezer door would keep enough pressure/vacum from the freezer to keep it sealed. Freezer is definatley the way to go. If the curing box could be removable you could use it for fermenting/ storage/ regular freezer when not drying/ curing. I was looking at getting a chst freezer for home brew before pandemic. they were getting hard to find. Pre pandemic The smaller ones were only like $150. I have an upright freezer but It would be difficult to seal. I have a spare fridge, temp controler,and most of the other stuff. I an thinking of making a small box to test out the whole deal with the condensation and what not to see if anything weird happens with the weed in it.
I have 4 or 5 weeks til my next harvest and will try to throw somthing together to test it out.
Hmmmm Maybe take some 2" X 4" and use them as exterior studs for the core plastic walls. I think that would be enough wood to suck up any condensation that might occur and it would also sturdy up the removable box hopefully to the point you could put things in/on it when it was not in use.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Another idea I have stolen from homebrew tech would be using glycol chiller like is used on fermenters, It blew my mind seeing some of teh micro brewers fermenting hundreds of gallons of ales and lagers in the Florida sun. But they use jacketed glycol chilled fermenters and that beer is straight chillin at the perfect temp even on the hottest days. I have seen small home brew chillers but they are pricey, around $700. I did a quick search and found a DIY glycol chiller. It involves tearing an AC apart. Not my thing.
GRAV sells a glycol chiller for bongs 😁

I could make this thing awesome for the cost of a couple packs of seeds or what I paid for one HLG light. Probably will go a head and send it on the freezer. Some of my harvests turned out awesome. Sweet, terpy, flowers better than anything I ever had. The last few I had bigger plants and more to deal with and they were awesome looking and smelling, but lost somthing in the dry/cure. I cant move foward growing out all these awesome genetics and then Fn up the last part with a shitty dry/ cure. I love growing but somtimes want to say F it to take that kind of risk and end up with a bunch of OK weed. This will be my "fight for the cure"
A perfect cure imho does a few really cool things:
lows=mids
mids=highs
highs=fire
fire=El Diablo
Diablo.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The key thing about the wood is that it would control condensation. Something like cedar would last longer before needing to be checked for moisture damage, and it should not mold. And the box inside whatever chiller you have (rather than panelling) seems like a good idea just so you can remove it and inspect for issues.

Not Given

Has chucked
For right now I too have to dry in a closet, I don't have a humidity controlled area. the temp has been 74F, we got rain and the humidity has risen to 63.
I typically dry in a closet and cure in paper bags or boxes and store in jars with humid pacs.

Not Given

Has chucked
I don't have those controllers, but I wonder if I should be storing my curing jars in my mini fridge. I think its too easy to get condensation. I wonder if anyone has experimented.

The humidity in my house is spiking just because of the outside conditions. it is 74F 65% in my drying closet :( I guess I need a de-humidifyer.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I don't have those controllers, but I wonder if I should be storing my curing jars in my mini fridge. I think its too easy to get condensation. I wonder if anyone has experimented.

The humidity in my house is spiking just because of the outside conditions. it is 74F 65% in my drying closet :( I guess I need a de-humidifyer.
I have mine in a mini fridge set at 55. but I keep the stuff in sealed jars with rH packs. Haven't seen any issues yet.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
One thing to remember is that condensation comes from temperature changes. A crappy fridge that is constanly cycling on and off to maintain temp will create more. Having a fridge that doesn't get opened every time you want something to eat or drink helps too.

For me having the separate fridge was mainly for seeds. Think about the value of a large bean collection. I have whatever weed I can fit in too, but if the weed doesn't fit that's fine.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I got a 7.0 CF chest freezer on the way. I will only be able to get a couple of plants in there at a time, and cut down to just branches. I figure I will need two different stages. One for drying and one for curing. I will make the box for drying first. This will have the 4 inch dampers and the 4 inch inline fan to keep the air dry in the box. Then I will switch to the air pump and check valves as the plants dry out. I can remove and plug the holes for the dampers and hook air lines to the check valves. The plants should be able to stay in there as long as needed. The box could even be used outside of the freezer in the cooler months. If it turns out this dosent work, Ill still have a freezer to put all of my hay weed in to make RSO!

I got a 7.0 CF chest freezer on the way. I will only be able to get a couple of plants in there at a time, and cut down to just branches. I figure I will need two different stages. One for drying and one for curing. I will make the box for drying first. This will have the 4 inch dampers and the 4 inch inline fan to keep the air dry in the box. Then I will switch to the air pump and check valves as the plants dry out. I can remove and plug the holes for the dampers and hook air lines to the check valves. The plants should be able to stay in there as long as needed. The box could even be used outside of the freezer in the cooler months. If it turns out this dosent work, Ill still have a freezer to put all of my hay weed in to make RSO!
Man that is sounding really good wierdly... Dry, Cure, Storage...
Box 1/freezer/The Room
Box 2/Dry Chamber
Once your bud is done being dried in it's perfectly controlled environment you could then trim it and put it in Jars w/ packs or those cure buckets TFC linked to(if you need more capacity) and then just stack'em nice in box 2.

Last edited:
That's fucking beautiful... Once Cuisinart/KitchenAid/Instant pot makes one that for real works, is energy star rated with a normal fridge warranty on it.... Puts some sexy celeb chef on the box and slaps a whole bunch cool looking idiot buttons like Salami, Weed, Cheese, Ale, Lager, Mead, Kombucha, Yogurt ect on it... and makes it 499$ delivered they would literately sell millions of them. And holy shit the amount of accessories you could offer to put inside that thing :ROFLMAO:
Giada I Will Bake Your Cock.JPG