DIY Cure Box/Humidor/Storage

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
got a chance to mess around with the freezer yesterday. A few things I did not expect. these temp controllers aren't very accurate, temps are all over the place and humidity is in the 90s with no plants. I might be pissin up a rope. I still have a few ideas. Maybe a new lid from that foam insullation mentioned earlier. A exhaust fan blowing out of the new lid and a small dehumidifier like Lakegrow uses in the closet set off to the side on yhe little ledge. If all else fails Ill put the lid back on a go to Sams and fill it up with Chicken. :LOL:
Call me crazy, but to keep the freezer in tact the best option might be to remove the lid, then replace it with something that has all your gadgets on it. It would be easier to have some kind of adjustable airflow.

I think I get what H.A.F. is saying... Basically you are make Granny's Wardrobe where the bottom half is your freezer(minus the lid) and then the top half is a box made out of insulation board that you can customize exactly where you need any air/cord holes.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think I get what H.A.F. is saying... Basically you are make Granny's Wardrobe where the bottom half is your freezer(minus the lid) and then the top half is a box made out of insulation board that you can customize exactly where you need any air/cord holes.
Actually, it could be a used kitchen cabinet from a yardsale or Habitat for Humanity. A boxed in bakers rack with wire racks instead of pans. Anything really. The foam board is a good insulator for whatever you choose. Just using the small freezer as a base/cooling portion OF the thing instead of trying to adapt it to be the thing.

And if the shit don't work you put the lid back on - no harm, no foul. 😁

printer

Super Active Member
I hung up two Dubgum plants from OLDST1R and, ran out of room. I did not want to take them down and put them up again squeezing them together, used masking tape to hold them onto the string. But I had room on the bottom, took a 2x6" and drilled a bunch of holes in it and stuck a Mr H's plant in it. Still have the second of his to do, have some holes left but may have to do one more board. I had a temp/humidity display in it and before adding Mr H's plant it was 60%RH. I pulled my other plant out of the cabinet to get these in, the RH was 50%, the same as the exterior. I may have to slow down the drying by putting a bowl of water in the cabinet.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I hung up two Dubgum plants from OLDST1R and, ran out of room. I did not want to take them down and put them up again squeezing them together, used masking tape to hold them onto the string. But I had room on the bottom, took a 2x6" and drilled a bunch of holes in it and stuck a Mr H's plant in it. Still have the second of his to do, have some holes left but may have to do one more board. I had a temp/humidity display in it and before adding Mr H's plant it was 60%RH. I pulled my other plant out of the cabinet to get these in, the RH was 50%, the same as the exterior. I may have to slow down the drying by putting a bowl of water in the cabinet.

Maybe work on sealing it tighter? The wet plants should raise the rH a little above the outside.

Hory chit printer, is that a cribbage board for weed?!
Mind Blown.gif

printer

Super Active Member
Not to say I am a big coffee drinker but over time you can collect things, like this coffee whitener container. I have a half dozen with weed in them, the newest with the outside cross pollinated plant. Indoors the seeds produced quite well, kind of stinky though. Dried them and have them curing in the containers. Was wondering what the humidity level was in them so I grabbed a cheap Dollar store meter that has just started to show up. I checked them against the outside forecast and they seemed close, bought a few and they were all close to each other. Just checked the reading, time is wrong though.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Not to say I am a big coffee drinker but over time you can collect things, like this coffee whitener container. I have a half dozen with weed in them, the newest with the outside cross pollinated plant. Indoors the seeds produced quite well, kind of stinky though. Dried them and have them curing in the containers. Was wondering what the humidity level was in them so I grabbed a cheap Dollar store meter that has just started to show up. I checked them against the outside forecast and they seemed close, bought a few and they were all close to each other. Just checked the reading, time is wrong though.

Nice. I think stoners and hoarders go hand in hand, especially with containers ;)
I have a stack of the little hygrometers and I never use them. They have an acceptable fluctuation of 5% which can be enough to make a difference.

As far as the containers, I'd give it a squeeze when it's closed to see how air-tight it is. Probably perfect for curing since air exchange (burping) is needed anyway, but I dont know about long term storage. A bunch of those in a gamma-lid bucket or something else hermetically sealed would fix any of those issues.

printer

Super Active Member
Nice. I think stoners and hoarders go hand in hand, especially with containers ;)
I have a stack of the little hygrometers and I never use them. They have an acceptable fluctuation of 5% which can be enough to make a difference.

As far as the containers, I'd give it a squeeze when it's closed to see how air-tight it is. Probably perfect for curing since air exchange (burping) is needed anyway, but I dont know about long term storage. A bunch of those in a gamma-lid bucket or something else hermetically sealed would fix any of those issues.
Yeah, I figure at this stage not being airtight is a bonus. 5% difference is not too bad as long as you have some wiggle room where ever you are using them. I took a couple of cheap one in to work years ago and I was surprised at how accurate they were when they were new. As they age they can drift in calibration. One of the ones I checked now reads 20% while it is about 55% in the place. I used to do some heating and ventilation and we had some calibrated meters to compare to.

Which reminds me, when I was working for a rocket plant they had me doing some electronic design on the ignition system, filtering out bad electromagnetic energy (you don't want the rocket to go off when you were not planning on lighting it up) and I was looking into a shield for the nozzle. They told me that any plastic will pass through water vapor to some extent, the only reliable barrier would be a metal foil. The propellant had to be kept really dry even when sitting years in high humidity.