Deep red strips.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Should work, just depends If the red take too much current when cranked.
They're 900mA at 24v. Two in series at 48v would still only pull 900mA through them and I don't believe you can overclock the driver so as long as you have adequate cooling/heatsink you should be ok. The hotter they get the more current they'll pull. If you have a full load on the driver or the amperage maxed out, depending on which driver you have(A or B) it will go into CC mode or it'll divide the amperage among the strips/boards, sort've a safety net. You could still have a little current hogging on the B driver if a strip/board over heats but I think you'll be ok with as you shouldn't need much of a heatsink for those red strips. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
From what i have read you just need to ensure the far red strips are the right percentage. And it is small 10 or 15% or something like that.

and run them on seperate drivers so you can mess around with the faster flowering put it to sleep effect.

I was reading an article that made me think about a different approach. Far red in veg. Run the veg lights for less time and keep them awake with 30 watts of far red.

I have seen it can work..
I believe it is total of 10% far red added to the spectrum to increase quality and production.
Using Far red will put the plants asleep earlier after lights out, which in turn allows the plant to build up more sugars.
Don't quote me on this, but that is what "they "say.
Also, I do believe the COBs and other lights are lacking in something. I notice a change in the texture of the resin after switching to LEDs 4 years ago. Very easy for the "trichs" to fall off. Anyone else experience what I am talking about.?
It is the lack of UV I am guessing that is causing it.

Last edited:

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Just wondering does this increase come if your already using full spectrum white light, and if more red is needed would going 3k vs 4 or 3500k be a smarter option for builds? Been doing a lot of digging on the reds as well, for the whole phytochrome thing, wondering if your dli is high enough is that even needed??? So much to learn lol 🤓🤓🤓

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Far re
Man i been looking into uv hard lately, those are a bit pricey 😉😉😉 but im sure you get what you pay for, and what are the far red strips gonna be used for??? Just curious been wondering if they are snake oil or not
d will
Interesting. I'm guessing you only need a couple? How do these compare to pucks? They are a bit pricey especially considering that you can use them for only 3 flowering seasons until they drop off in efficacy.
I have 4 of the Agragrow Pure UV's
You don't want to put them too close. I burnt the hairs right off the buds when I used them for the 1st time. lol
1576948153218.png
View attachment 37115
I sure could'a used a "dimmer knob" on thoseT5 (54 watts) 4 x 4 footers I had at 20" in a 4 x 4 area. LMAO!
60 watts is enough for a 4 x 4.
Personally ,I found out 216 watts was a little much for 16 square feet. lmao!
Hey, we were all experimenting back then. lol
Blurples" just about ruined the industry . The DIY'ers had to step up and get this shit on track. If it weren't for DIY'ers like me taking interest (thanks growmau5 and greengenes)in the technology, we would still be on the HID vs LED train. lol

Last edited:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Far re

d will

You don't want to put them too close. I burnt the hairs right off the buds when I used them for the 1st time. lol
View attachment 37114
View attachment 37115
Thanks. So far both examples have been T5 style. Are there UV LED strips? Every time I look up strip, I get those ones that are in a reel used as aesthetic black lights. What if strung em on like a xmas tree lol.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Thanks. So far both examples have been T5 style. Are there UV LED strips? Every time I look up strip, I get those ones that are in a reel used as aesthetic black lights. What if strung em on like a xmas tree lol.
Yes, there are UV led strips. Problem is they are at a certain nm, not a range like the Pure UV's.
You could always select individual spectrum LED's and make your own ratios. LED's are great for doing this to tailor your own spectrums.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Far re

d will

View attachment 37114
View attachment 37115
I've heard those pure UVs are actually to strong. They put out monstrous amounts of UV. A few guys on the other forum have been looking for dimmable t5 ballast for those. Be great for tall ceilings too.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Just wondering does this increase come if your already using full spectrum white light, and if more red is needed would going 3k vs 4 or 3500k be a smarter option for builds? Been doing a lot of digging on the reds as well, for the whole phytochrome thing, wondering if your dli is high enough is that even needed??? So much to learn lol 🤓🤓🤓
I have 2700k - 4000K mixed up.
3500K is the best "all around" for veg and flower.
Going with a 600 to 720 watts in a 4 x 4 area. (CO2 added)
Throw 50, 60 -100 watts of 660's,
plus, 60 - 72-100 watts of far red. Not sure what the correct ratio is. Problem with strips is no spread. Single 3V(5 watts) like CREE's, You can spread them out. I run 12-16 x 3v CREE's 36 and 48 volts from 700 - 1050mA on a 2" x 3ft heatsink .
Now, I just add them right along with my COB's on the same heatsinks. (5.88 and 6.08)

Last edited:

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Interesting. I'm guessing you only need a couple? How do these compare to pucks? They are a bit pricey especially considering that you can use them for only 3 flowering seasons until they drop off in efficacy.
I use both of them in my 5x5 tent. Typically I try to keep them 18-24” above the plants. I’ve angled one light on this run because the plant is so tall. I can only keep it 12” above that plant. There hasn’t been any ill effects, but the lights have been used for a few cycles and their most likely worn a bit. When brand new they were tricky at first. That’s when I was ending up around 24” above the tops. I don’t personally find the bulb replacements too expensive, but I also only plan to replace the bulbs once each year. Which I’m coming up on doing.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I use both of them in my 5x5 tent. Typically I try to keep them 18-24” above the plants. I’ve angled one light on this run because the plant is so tall. I can only keep it 12” above that plant. There hasn’t been any ill effects, but the lights have been used for a few cycles and their most likely worn a bit. When brand new they were tricky at first. That’s when I was ending up around 24” above the tops. I don’t personally find the bulb replacements too expensive, but I also only plan to replace the bulbs once each year. Which I’m coming up on doing.
[/QUOTE
Are you part of the Phylex company?