Anyone had herm issues with regular seeds?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I figured I should update this post…only one plant got heavily seeded so I’ll probably use that to make some CBD hash. I’m glad I didn’t give up on them, though, because these plants are growing some really nice flowers.

View attachment 101811
View attachment 101812
If you aren't even worried about trying to get the beans out (and tear up the plants) you should get some pristine hash from the first run or two.

The only thing I can think of is maybe these strains just stress out in higher humidity during flower? I was thinking about asking the breeder but I don't want him to think I'm blaming him, either. I just found it interesting that all 4 threw pollen sacs...I'm just hoping they weren't super fertile.
Any real breeder will welcome your questions and try to figure out what could have caused the banners. Maybe the line carries Hermie traits, could be environmental, etc. And any good breeder should know his lines inside and out and welcomes input and data collection from the folks that grow their gear. But today's atmosphere there are so many pollen chuckers in comparison to real breeders.

Sativa Kid

I have 4 plants (2 different strains of CBD) in the beginning of week 3 of flower and I just found pollen sacs on all 4 plants. I didn't do much with the plants, other than water them for the last week and a half because I've been sick, so they didn't get pruned as promptly usual. That, and the high humidity here lately, caused the humidity to run a little higher than usual but it wasn't way out of control (average of 65% @ 80° through that time frame). I'm growing these plants my usual way...topped/manifolded, fed organic dry fertilizer (Roots Organics), and watered via blu-mats. The only thing I changed up is I started giving the plants some recharge once a week to boost the soil life.
View attachment 100214
I believe(my opinion) that the sexual history of a strain is the initial reason for a plant to hermie easily. So up unto a few generations if there are Fems then it has the tendency. The more fems in the line the worse the tendency. As example my landrace Thai has never had fem ancestors and when I tried to hermie it to breed fem seeds it failed, it just didn't turn and the prospective Moms had to be dumped as they were too far into flower to get a month plus in the bud. And I've never had the strain hermie even under heat stress that almost killed the plant when I had a timer fail on. On the other hand I bred a fem to what I called a dirty strain and it hermied very easily. The problem is many people breed without respecting sexual history.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I believe(my opinion) that the sexual history of a strain is the initial reason for a plant to hermie easily. So up unto a few generations if there are Fems then it has the tendency. The more fems in the line the worse the tendency. As example my landrace Thai has never had fem ancestors and when I tried to hermie it to breed fem seeds it failed, it just didn't turn and the prospective Moms had to be dumped as they were too far into flower to get a month plus in the bud. And I've never had the strain hermie even under heat stress that almost killed the plant when I had a timer fail on. On the other hand I bred a fem to what I called a dirty strain and it hermied very easily. The problem is many people breed without respecting sexual history.
Every strain can be reversed. I have never had a mom that wouldn't reverse. The only strains that cause herms are the ones already predisposed to carry the traits. Fems, regs don't matter.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
Every strain can be reversed. I have never had a mom that wouldn't reverse. The only strains that cause herms are the ones already predisposed to carry the traits. Fems, regs don't matter.
I agree with this 💯%, everything can be reversed, even males. Now the amount of viable pollen made is a different story. Either it has it(Hermie Traits) or it doesn’t.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I agree with this 💯%, everything can be reversed, even males. Now the amount of viable pollen made is a different story. Either it has it(Hermie Traits) or it doesn’t.
People making claims that fems cause herms but it's not, if that was the case than all females pollinated by males would cause herms.
The problem is dumbass breeders that don't know how to properly reverse plants, so there using stress techniques and rodizilation or however it's spelled to make plants herm. What there doing is taking hermie prone plants and making seeds. The harder a plant is to get pollen, the less likely to pass on herm traits. Chemical reversal is just depriving the plant of ethylene to force it to.male flower.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
…The problem is many people breed without respecting sexual history.
Or even knowing it, ignorance is not bliss in this case. I know this is chuckers paradise, but when I’m on a serious project there is no “chucking” at all and everything is carefully selected, this includes full background profiles of both parents. I used to just wing it but found that the results seemed random even though they weren’t, but by building punnet charts I found predictable results and my time was used much more efficiently. I was a naive 20yo kid, then I started going to the library to study this shit since there was no internet, that made a huge difference

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
People making claims that fems cause herms but it's not, if that was the case than all females pollinated by males would cause herms.
The problem is dumbass breeders that don't know how to properly reverse plants, so there using stress techniques and rodizilation or however it's spelled to make plants herm. What there doing is taking hermie prone plants and making seeds. The harder a plant is to get pollen, the less likely to pass on herm traits. Chemical reversal is just depriving the plant of ethylene to force it to.male flower.
Yup, it’s pretty basic shit, but some people just don’t listen/learn OR they think they’re special, lol. The hardest ones to turn are usually are the lines to keep using, I noticed this too, wayyy back in the day when White/Black Widow was the boss

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Yup, it’s pretty basic shit, but some people just don’t listen/learn OR they think they’re special, lol. The hardest ones to turn are usually are the lines to keep using, I noticed this too, wayyy back in the day when White/Black Widow was the boss
I had this dude on YouTube telling me I was doing it all.wrong and that he was using late flowering herms to use as pollen. Said that CS was causing herms. Can't fix retarded.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
I had this dude on YouTube telling me I was doing it all.wrong and that he was using late flowering herms to use as pollen. Said that CS was causing herms. Can't fix retarded.
Jesus, why even say that? The pathways have been mapped out, science understands, we know that we can interrupt the ethylene pathway/conversion, CS isn’t the only thing that can be used and suggesting it’s the root cause of hermie tendencies is absurd and irresponsible. Its absolutely not the cause of hermaphroditism, that’s been laid down long before the application of CS. Gotta love YouTube’s comment section, some wise words there.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Jesus, why even say that? The pathways have been mapped out, science understands, we know that we can interrupt the ethylene pathway/conversion, CS isn’t the only thing that can be used and suggesting it’s the root cause of hermie tendencies is absurd and irresponsible. Its absolutely not the cause of hermaphroditism, that’s been laid down long before the application of CS. Gotta love YouTube’s comment section, some wise words there.
There was talk about CS back in the early 80's. I never heard any more about it till the last 10 years or so. When did you all first learn of CS?
I've never tried to reverse a plant and hardly ever clone. I like planting seed and seeing what it becomes.
Leave that shit to you serious breeders.
I breed for fun like it's meant to be. lol

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
There was talk about CS back in the early 80's. I never heard any more about it till the last 10 years or so. When did you all first learn of CS?
I've never tried to reverse a plant and hardly ever clone. I like planting seed and seeing what it becomes.
Leave that shit to you serious breeders.
I breed for fun like it's meant to be. lol
I feel ya, only just the fun changed for me and I got excited about the prospective pairings, THEN planting a seed and seeing what becomes of it. To me that’s much more fun than just using someone else’s stock.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Hyb from exe says this too. Any plant, fem or reg can be reversed. His juice works great too

Sativa Kid

Or even knowing it, ignorance is not bliss in this case. I know this is chuckers paradise, but when I’m on a serious project there is no “chucking” at all and everything is carefully selected, this includes full background profiles of both parents. I used to just wing it but found that the results seemed random even though they weren’t, but by building punnet charts I found predictable results and my time was used much more efficiently. I was a naive 20yo kid, then I started going to the library to study this shit since there was no internet, that made a huge difference
I would like to learn half of what your learning. Growing Cannabis supplies my medicine and has become my hobby. Genetics has been my passion until I get like 8 top shelf legendary strains in mega seed form. Then I will be happy that I will not see pollen on purpose again. Right now I have 5 batches in the oven. And I hope to be satisfied with at least 2 strains from my 5 in the oven. Then I would have 5 types of upper shelf genetics for my use. Now since you have much more experience in this field let me ask you about my theories about sexual purity of the parents? Is my assumption anywhere near correct in your opinion? Do hermies come from fems/hermie backgrounds. I've done stress test on strains I grow from trades and have abandon nice strains because I'm too lazy to grow a few generations in regular seeds to clean up the genetics. One of my sets of seeds in the oven is really nice fire genetics that is cleansing a fem grandma in the pile. I believe that I've learned that I can tell the general sexual history of a strain by trying to hermie a plant or two. If you have trouble getting it to hermie then it's clean enough to breed with, this is usually not the case even in some so called legit seed companies. But in the many months one strain review jumped through the hoops and one little plant surprised the hell out of me. I got it from a strain review where I had only 5 beans of so called Girl Scout Cookies, ya right I thought. I only have clones going but I'm working at seeding it. Almost everything died on me as I really got my butt kicked by Covid a couple months ago. But one little plant from the review died and gave a few great little blackish buds, great terpenes! This picture is a clone that lived my covid disaster, it took a rough ride mites and all. Now it's been healthy for a few weeks and will be smoked in a few weeks.

Attachments

Sativa Kid

I've wanted to try to reverse a male, now I don't have to bother now that I know it's possible.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
I would like to learn half of what your learning. Growing Cannabis supplies my medicine and has become my hobby. Genetics has been my passion until I get like 8 top shelf legendary strains in mega seed form. Then I will be happy that I will not see pollen on purpose again. Right now I have 5 batches in the oven. And I hope to be satisfied with at least 2 strains from my 5 in the oven. Then I would have 5 types of upper shelf genetics for my use. Now since you have much more experience in this field let me ask you about my theories about sexual purity of the parents? Is my assumption anywhere near correct in your opinion? Do hermies come from fems/hermie backgrounds. I've done stress test on strains I grow from trades and have abandon nice strains because I'm too lazy to grow a few generations in regular seeds to clean up the genetics. One of my sets of seeds in the oven is really nice fire genetics that is cleansing a fem grandma in the pile. I believe that I've learned that I can tell the general sexual history of a strain by trying to hermie a plant or two. If you have trouble getting it to hermie then it's clean enough to breed with, this is usually not the case even in some so called legit seed companies. But in the many months one strain review jumped through the hoops and one little plant surprised the hell out of me. I got it from a strain review where I had only 5 beans of so called Girl Scout Cookies, ya right I thought. I only have clones going but I'm working at seeding it. Almost everything died on me as I really got my butt kicked by Covid a couple months ago. But one little plant from the review died and gave a few great little blackish buds, great terpenes! This picture is a clone that lived my covid disaster, it took a rough ride mites and all. Now it's been healthy for a few weeks and will be smoked in a few weeks.
That doesn’t look too bad considering what it went through, just a testament to what this plant can endure, Covid has got to be rough, glad you made it. Myself, Im pretty lucky in the sense that I can take or leave society as I see fit since I live in the country and bubble is pretty small and the people in it are super vigilant.