Who has issues with curing?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you want to sell this thing for $1600 then you might want to listen to what the consensus is.

What is in that dish with the yellow stuff? Is that a sponge with water? :unsure: Does that come with the $1600?

It in general looks like a beater shop fridge in a garage where the mechanics shove their lunch and a few beers for after work. The controller up top looks like an afterthought instead of part of the system. Basically it looks like a prototype to check that it works like you want. It needs cleaned up in production.

But that's just my opinion.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Have you heard of the Cannatrol? Well its an automated cool drying and curing box. Like crops steering for your harvest. No more hay smell, no more bud rot, botrytis, pm, no more failed microbial testing or need for microbial reclamation for contaminated flower. The cool cure box slowly draws the moisture out of the flower at a steady and even rate allowing for less volatile terpine loss. As a result, the flower dries and cures beautifully without fear of loss of all my hard work at the end. If you are like me and are sick of losing crops to the whims of drying and curing without a Cannatrol visit Www.cannatrols.com and use Code Tango to save 50 off and 100 off for Veterans. If you have questions or want to discuss the cannatrol please dm me or visit me @Tango.hotel.charlie on Instagram.
I would love to give one a test run but scrapping up that much would take me ages..I like your security camera keeping an eye out for nug thiefs....

F series

Insanely Active Member
Hand dry in tent at 58-64f and 60-58%rh for 2+weeks,trim,jar,burp……used to run into hay smell every grow untill I stopped wet trimming and hang drying whole for 2+ weeks….I went 3.5weeks this rd with one plant….she’s hands down the nicest smelling jar
I used to have hay too, started drying til actually dry, shit smells strong always.

I had curing down too, but quickly learned most people who smoke don't give a fuck. The darkened colors turn them off too lol

larf

Some purples get darker, but I think it's because when the bud dries and shrinks the pigments become packed more tightly. It's like a balloon with a bunch of dots on it. The more air the farther the dots spread apart.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If the bud is jarred up before it is perfectly dry the moisture helps with oxidization, which is basically the rusting of the metals you fed the plant that are not going anywhere no matter how much you flush. Iron, etc. not bad stuff.

larf

If the bud is jarred up before it is perfectly dry the moisture helps with oxidization, which is basically the rusting of the metals you fed the plant that are not going anywhere no matter how much you flush. Iron, etc. not bad stuff.
I thought they we're talking about a fresh cut plant.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I used to have hay too, started drying til actually dry, shit smells strong always.

I had curing down too, but quickly learned most people who smoke don't give a fuck. The darkened colors turn them off too lol
I ran into the same thing I painfully cured my jars before releasing but one harvest was just before 4th July weekend everyone was needing some smoke I warned them all it was fresh they loved it soooo now I spend less time curing my "friends nugs" years later never been a negative comment... I vape and love a good cure

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I find some strains better just dried rather than cured, and some definitely need a good long cure.
So I guess that kinda puts me on the fence with curing. Turns out I end up enjoying them both all the same, and if not, it goes into the freezer for concentrates at a later date.. Win Win
Agreed I cure my private stash some really come into their own after a month or so but like you say not all.... The J James competition plants all came alive the last couple weeks...

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I let the flowers dry till the stem snaps.
Dry to the bone! Get it? lol
It's important for the "homogenization" part for preservation.
People can't seem to wait, they get anxious,
and start the "curing process" before enough "microbial" action has stopped,
which will lead to bad smells, dark colors, mold, lower potency, etc.

Number 1 rule above all,
don't beat the shit out of your flowers,
be gentle when cutting, moving and hanging.
I let the sugar leaves encapsulate the flower for protection.
Cutting leaves creates sap leakage onto the flowers.

Try not to do any of the above when it's 80 or 90 degrees.
50 to 70 degrees, I would guess is a good working range if possible.
You're losing or smashing trichomes, lowering potency every time you knock around or rub up against your plants and flowers.(I know we all do it)
Now, as far as terps, you'll likely lose close to half of terps no matter how you dry and cure it, just a hard fact.
Cannatrol says you can gain 20% by using their product?
Impressive!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I let the flowers dry till the stem snaps.
Dry to the bone! Get it? lol
It's important for the "homogenization" part for preservation.
People can't seem to wait, they get anxious,
and start the "curing process" before enough "microbial" action has stopped,
which will lead to bad smells, dark colors, mold, lower potency, etc.
I'm not sure where you heard this, but this is the opposite of everything I've read. The whole purpose of burping the jars/buckets during the curing process is not to regulate humidity, like some people believe, it is to get more oxygen into the jars/buckets to keep the microbial life in there alive to continue breaking down things like chlorophyll. This is why they say that if you dry your flower too much, the curing process is ruined, and you can't even restart it by adding moisture back to the flower.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm not sure where you heard this, but this is the opposite of everything I've read. The whole purpose of burping the jars/buckets during the curing process is not to regulate humidity, like some people believe, it is to get more oxygen into the jars/buckets to keep the microbial life in there alive to continue breaking down things like chlorophyll. This is why they say that if you dry your flower too much, the curing process is ruined, and you can't even restart it by adding moisture back to the flower.
I go by weight now, exclusively. I know that in my controlled environment the plant will dry to about 30% of it's wet weight, which yields you that 20-25% of flower weight. Day 7 I weigh it and check, then weigh it a few times a day and watch for it to stop losing weight. It'll settle out at that 30% ish number.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
You want enzime production, not microbial. Water has to be dropped to a point microbial stops.
The Science of Drying and Curing - Allison Justice, PhD - YouTube

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
You want enzime production, not microbial. Water has to be dropped to a point microbial stops.
The Science of Drying and Curing - Allison Justice, PhD - YouTube
I shouldn't have said "Microbial", but the issue of drying too far is real, and you are just sacrificing quality. Some people don't care, but if you want nice flower that lasts a long time then proper curing is key. I have some Dinoberry Bites that I harvested in February, 2021 (27 months ago) that still smokes and tastes great. I just had some of it last night.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I shouldn't have said "Microbial", but the issue of drying too far is real, and you are just sacrificing quality. Some people don't care, but if you want nice flower that lasts a long time then proper curing is key. I have some Dinoberry Bites that I harvested in February, 2021 (27 months ago) that still smokes and tastes great. I just had some of it last night.
I try and pull lot of water out the first few days to get the moisture level down and decrease the microbial growth. Depends on my environment whether it's dry weather or it's raining decides how long the complete dry will take. 10 days or so. I don't lose flavor, I am slowing the "ethylene" production and not having to burp near as much cause I am getting the flower closer to that 60% target moisture level before placing in jars. It's easier to add a little bit of moisture than to work with too much and produce such high amounts of "Ethylene". Just my opinion.
I don't let it dry till it's crispy. Sorry if I sounded like that. lol
There's nutrients you can use in growing the flower that will help preserve your finish product to last longer.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The thing I tried that worked the best for drying weed quickly - when "I need smoke" was my concern was to vacuum seal it after it hang dry. 2-3 days of pulling a vacuum on the jar and cracking the seal a few times a day and it was perfectly even throughout for moisture content. It opens up those flowers and lets the innerds gas off the water vapor in no time.

I now know it is shit for terps and all that, but for getting dried flower smokable it was the least damaging I tried.