Who’s up for a new 2021 contest? Brainstorming thread

Turd Ferguson

Really Active Member
I'm going to put together another competition like the Mystery Meat Competition I did over at RIU a few years back. I will be pairing up with another breeder to make a Mystery Pack of beans. I will start a signup sheet later today for anyone who wants to enter and will go into more details about the rules and cutoff dates.
Where are we at with this?

cedew

The other thread has me thinking about doing something fun and a little different, plus I always like to see people's creative budget DIY projects, so was thinking of something like a little micro desktop hydro build, like the solo cup contests with a single 1-2ft cola, but from some sort of hydro build.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
September...........lol. That's pretty funny...........and then you expect folks to pay for seeds and shipping to play? That's even funnier. Maybe if they have to pay it'll keep folks from quitting after week 2.

I'll play..........albeit in September (that's how many grows from now? LMAO! September..lol

Dis39

Really Active Member
September...........lol. That's pretty funny...........and then you expect folks to pay for seeds and shipping to play? That's even funnier. Maybe if they have to pay it'll keep folks from quitting after week 2.

I'll play..........albeit in September (that's how many grows from now? LMAO! September..lol
I just spent $10 to have 4x Twenty20 seeds sent to me as part of their promotional "competition". Exposed me to a new breeder, and new seed bank Im stoked to check out in the future that I was absolutely pleased with. Ill happily pay a "a small signup Fee to cover the cost of your seed pack and shipping", especially if it stops the two week entries at the door. Any time members send seeds here I always feel bad about the $5 shipping, sure $5 might not be much but when these guys are shipping stuff out to multiple members, thats definitely a cost to factor. Ive only been around a year, but when it comes to value, I have never gotten less than I paid for with @J.James , Im confident thatll hold true.

I also appreciate that only participating members can vote, so only people who are invested in the process can weigh in on the efforts of others, again keeping those perhaps less invested or familiar with whatever particular genetics will be grown. So far this will be the closest thing to a standardized cultivation test that I have participated in. The shared genetics is what appeals to me enough to make it my first comp, and the scheduled window of time encouraging indoor grows only. I wont be doing anything special, other than giving her a space in my closet alongside whatever else is going on. That's just my outlook, lucky for us we dont all need to agree, or participate.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I just spent $10 to have 4x Twenty20 seeds sent to me as part of their promotional "competition". Exposed me to a new breeder, and new seed bank Im stoked to check out in the future that I was absolutely pleased with. Ill happily pay a "a small signup Fee to cover the cost of your seed pack and shipping", especially if it stops the two week entries at the door. Any time members send seeds here I always feel bad about the $5 shipping, sure $5 might not be much but when these guys are shipping stuff out to multiple members, thats definitely a cost to factor. Ive only been around a year, but when it comes to value, I have never gotten less than I paid for with @J.James , Im confident thatll hold true.

I also appreciate that only participating members can vote, so only people who are invested in the process can weigh in on the efforts of others, again keeping those perhaps less invested or familiar with whatever particular genetics will be grown. So far this will be the closest thing to a standardized cultivation test that I have participated in. The shared genetics is what appeals to me enough to make it my first comp, and the scheduled window of time encouraging indoor grows only. I wont be doing anything special, other than giving her a space in my closet alongside whatever else is going on. That's just my outlook, lucky for us we dont all need to agree, or participate.
That's great story.........but you're focused on the $$ value. I was referencing that the level of involvement here for a contest, is mostly lacking. Go on and read up on all the successful contests here and you'll see. Go look at the Lets start a contest thread.......7 pages of nada.

September?? Hey, it is what it is.

Dis39

Really Active Member
"September (schedule)...........lol. That's pretty funny...........and then you expect folks to pay for seeds and shipping to play (participation/cost)? That's even funnier. Maybe if they have to pay it'll keep folks from quitting after week 2 (participation/cost).

I'll play (participation)..........albeit in September (schedule) (that's how many grows from now? LMAO! September..lol (schedule)" - @BigBallzWillie

You must be right, as I didnt really have a plan, it was freeform thought, so forgive me if my focus was misplaced.

@High kev , @Old ST1R , @Opie1, @Meatman @Micah48 @cedew - Id be happy to schedule a grow using the same genetics alongside any one of you, if nothing else just to participate in a community type grow with some of you fine people; if for some reason this isnt enough participation to make it worth it, or if no one else signs up, or if no one shows up come Sept. My ignorance is clearly keeping me more hopeful than some.

Last edited:

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
"September (schedule)...........lol. That's pretty funny...........and then you expect folks to pay for seeds and shipping to play (participation/cost)? That's even funnier. Maybe if they have to pay it'll keep folks from quitting after week 2 (participation/cost).

I'll play (participation)..........albeit in September (schedule) (that's how many grows from now? LMAO! September..lol (schedule)" - @BigBallzWillie

You must be right, as I didnt really have a plan, it was freeform thought, so forgive me if my focus was misplaced.

@High kev , @Old ST1R , @Opie1, @Meatman @Micah48 @cedew - Id be happy to schedule a grow using the same genetics alongside any one of you, if nothing else just to participate in a community type grow with some of you fine people; if for some reason this isnt enough participation to make it worth it, or if no one else signs up, or if no one shows up come Sept. My ignorance is clearly keeping me more hopeful than some.
Lol.....what a cunt. (cunt)

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I think there should be a set flip date as well as an end date. 4 weeks, 6 weeks, whatever - just so everyone's method in veg is easy to compare as well.
The more I think about this, the more it makes sense (to me) to have everyone take a dry seed and everyone gets it wet on the same day, then everyone must flip on the same day, regardless of topping, LST, etc. it would be better, IMO, if training wasn’t allowed - everyone grows a single cola, unadulterated plant, that way you get an actual comparison of growing styles/media/hardware.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The more I think about this, the more it makes sense (to me) to have everyone take a dry seed and everyone gets it wet on the same day, then everyone must flip on the same day, regardless of topping, LST, etc. it would be better, IMO, if training wasn’t allowed - everyone grows a single cola, unadulterated plant, that way you get an actual comparison of growing styles/media/hardware.
I can see that aspect, but if you are wanting people to just do what they normally do I haven't seen many people growing Christmas Trees lately. Unless they are chucking and just ain't messing with that pruning and training stuff.

Lots of time for discussion on it. One thought was that since there is an end date, you will get the people that try and stretch the veg out as long as possible and hit the end date for harvest. Not knowing anything about the mystery strain, a long flowering one could end up shafting some people, or causing arguments about whether not being done is a factor in judging or whatever.

Streetpro09

Tester
That's a good idea to get a comparison of everyone who participates.

On the other hand, sense i grow in water, I would worry that my plants would get a bit bigger/outta hand possibly when compared to dirt/coco.

If we adapted your idea could it be tweaked to say that the plant/plants need to be put into flower at a certain height?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That's a good idea to get a comparison of everyone who participates.

On the other hand, sense i grow in water, I would worry that my plants would get a bit bigger/outta hand possibly when compared to dirt/coco.

If we adapted your idea could it be tweaked to say that the plant/plants need to be put into flower at a certain height?
That's why I was thinking a certain flip date, since some people might have height considerations. If we veg for a month or 6 weeks then I can manage the plants accomodate whatever stretch they may have. People in water that already have a 5-gallon bucket height from the floor might have issues with trees?

If we do trees, the I think it should be a shorter veg.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Or you could level the playing field by requiring at least one topping. I probably won’t be able to participate in this…just throwing out an idea.
I think leveling the field is great, and I really don't care the growing style. Trees, manifolds, top for a certain number of cola, whatever. I won't do a scrog, but I can LST the hell out of something to get a scrog-like top.

Like I said here or on the other thread about this, the competition will be better if there is a goal. Not "vote for the 'best' plant", but get the best weight from your style after the same veg time. Or if we do trees have the largest, heaviest, fattest (whatever) top cola.

I think having whatever goal will help rest be easier to sort out.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A mandated short veg time could also shorten the competition. If everyones plant finishes before the end date you blow the wistle and hand out the prizes :)