Which node to make the chop?

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
So probably a noob indoor question but what’s the opinion on when best to top indoors to contain upward and encourage outward growth or is it a case of strains etc being a stretchy strain you may top earlier than say a bushy strain maybe you can leave longer ? Any ideas 💡

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
So probably a noob indoor question but what’s the opinion on when best to top indoors to contain upward and encourage outward growth or is it a case of strains etc being a stretchy strain you may top earlier than say a bushy strain maybe you can leave longer ? Any ideas 💡
I usually like to top fairly early, anywhere between node 3-6 depending on how the nodes look. Depends how many arms you want in the end but 4-8 is pretty standard so look to keep 2-4 of the nicest earliest nodes.

Then you can actually spread the top growth leaves and bend that little baby growth in the middle to the side and it will break off super clean with very little stress induced to the plant. I just learned that little trick, seems nicer than chopping the top :D

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I usually like to top fairly early, anywhere between node 3-6 depending on how the nodes look. Depends how many arms you want in the end but 4-8 is pretty standard so look to keep 2-4 of the nicest earliest nodes.

Then you can actually spread the top growth leaves and bend that little baby growth in the middle to the side and it will break off super clean with very little stress induced to the plant. I just learned that little trick, seems nicer than chopping the top :D
Cheers mate . Yeah I was thinking between 4-6 which appears to be the most seen 👍

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Pretty much the same as what’s been said...I wait until mine get 6 or more nodes, top above the 3rd, then remove the nodes below that, but I leave the leaves at those lower nodes. Those leaves will get removed eventually, but I figure leaving them will provide the plant with more energy to help with the healing.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Why would I tell a plant to do one thing its whole life and then switch at the last second I'd rather it spend its early life concentrating on side growth, that what we are trying to accomplish why let the plant think it's going to do something else it's whole life and then chop its top off. Just curious obviously this is just my opinion

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Why would I tell a plant to do one thing its whole life and then switch at the last second I'd rather it spend its early life concentrating on side growth, that what we are trying to accomplish why let the plant think it's going to do something else it's whole life and then chop its top off. Just curious obviously this is just my opinion
I used to top earlier but then tried doing it later. They all have seemed to recover and grow much faster when I do it later so I’ve just stuck with that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails